Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Kelly and Blair delay equality in goods and services

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Cabinet split over new rights for gays

The story's a bit old now, sorry, didn't get round to posting it. My main concern is that this legislation will vanish. Consider the likelihood that we will have a new parliament by this time in 2007 - at least, a new figurehead - who will probably move away from a lot of the stuff that's been started.

What do people think? Is it reasonable to allow what is tantamount to a loophole for homophobes, providing they're religious? The current government has done this time and time again (check out the Civil Partnerships Act, or the new employment legislation). Sickening.

Comments

• Options
    It is sickening. Though a perfectly predictable consequence of putting a member of a fundamentalist sect in the Cabinet.

I've always thought Prime Ministers and members of governments should be at leat agnostic. There is clearly a conflict of interests when that's not the case.
  • Options
    How can you justify that, though? Everyone has a certain "morality" that influences their decision - agnostics, atheists, religious people alike. If it gets to the point where most of the cabinet are vehemently atheists, religious people will start to lose out, surely?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It is sickening. Though a perfectly predictable consequence of putting a member of a fundamentalist sect in the Cabinet.

Erm they're not fundamentalists.

I think it's wrong but surely they have a right to vest their own beliefs.
  • Options
    I would certainly call the Opus Dei a fundamentalist sect. They see women as little more than slaves. They believe in corporal mortification. And if I remember correctly they see non-procreational sex, even between married partners, as wrong.

As a Spaniard, take my word for it. They're dodgy as fuck.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I would certainly call the Opus Dei a fundamentalist sect. They see women as little more than slaves. They believe in corporal mortification. And if I remember correctly they see non-procreational sex, even between married partners, as wrong.

As a Spaniard, take my word for it. They're dodgy as fuck.

I know all too well about them, still not fundamentalists. Fundamentalists believe that the literal translation of the Bible should be implemented into everyday life. Catholics don't believe that, they use the Bible and their own philosophy which has been formed from the beginning to the current day.

Still, Opus Dei have nothing to do with this, it's just politicians who don't agree with the legislation. Their beliefs and they have a right to hold them.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I know all too well about them, still not fundamentalists. Fundamentalists believe that the literal translation of the Bible should be implemented into everyday life. Catholics don't believe that, they use the Bible and their own philosophy which has been formed from the beginning to the current day.
    Yeah but we're not talking about Catholics are we? We're talking about the Opus Dei.

Perhaps Catholics elsewhere are different from Catholics in Spain. But I can assure you there is a world of difference between mainstream Catholics and members of the Opus Dei. Most Catholics in Spain use artificial contraception. And they certainly don't believe in lashing, mortification or using young women as a free source of domestic labour.

If you do not want to call them fundamentalists, fine. They are still extremist fruitcakes, and nasty ones at that.
    Still, Opus Dei have nothing to do with this, it's just politicians who don't agree with the legislation. Their beliefs and they have a right to hold them.
    They also have a duty to serve the public that elected them to power. Their beliefs are personal and while they're perfectly welcome to voice their opinion and to vote against what they don't like, they don't have the right to use their power to block legislation they don't like from a personal point of view.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Who honestly expected any different from the people? Twunts.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yeah but we're not talking about Catholics are we? We're talking about the Opus Dei.

Perhaps Catholics elsewhere are different from Catholics in Spain. But I can assure you there is a world of difference between mainstream Catholics and members of the Opus Dei. Most Catholics in Spain use artificial contraception. And they certainly don't believe in lashing, mortification or using young women as a free source of domestic labour.

If you do not want to call them fundamentalists, fine. They are still extremist fruitcakes, and nasty ones at that.

Erm it's a Catholic organisation, and it's no worse than your average Evangelical Church or many Islamic orgs.
    Aladdin wrote:
    They also have a duty to serve the public that elected them to power. Their beliefs are personal and while they're perfectly welcome to voice their opinion and to vote against what they don't like, they don't have the right to use their power to block legislation they don't like from a personal point of view.

They don't have a right to block it but it's hardly a surprise, politicians always use their personal beliefs to influence politics on a bigger scale, the fact that it's a religious thing shouldn't really matter.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Erm it's a Catholic organisation, and it's no worse than your average Evangelical Church or many Islamic orgs.

They don't have a right to block it but it's hardly a surprise, politicians always use their personal beliefs to influence politics on a bigger scale, the fact that it's a religious thing shouldn't really matter.

I agreed with both points here, but the fact that it is such a blatant use of beliefs that (arguably) should be separate from policy is what's frustrating - and surely a good time to raise the issues related to this that aren't necessarily about beliefs.

re: Opus Dei, it's worth noting that it's not just Ruth Kelly blocking this, Blair (who's not O.D.) is also sticking his oar in.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    I agreed with both points here, but the fact that it is such a blatant use of beliefs that (arguably) should be separate from policy is what's frustrating - and surely a good time to raise the issues related to this that aren't necessarily about beliefs.

Beliefs and policy...where does one begin and another end? It's been like this forever. I've stopped caring.
    piccolo wrote:
    re: Opus Dei, it's worth noting that it's not just Ruth Kelly blocking this, Blair (who's not O.D.) is also sticking his oar in.

Well Opus Dei has nothing to do with this at all, it was Aladin who brought it in, as far as I know OD have started 600 odd iniatives in the past year that have helped various communities:

"and in the year 2005 they have cooperated with other people in setting up 608 social initiatives: schools and university residences (68%), technical or agricultural training (26%), universities, business schools and hospitals (6%). Worldwide revenue of Opus Dei is that of a mid-sized American diocese. And its numbers among bishops do not make it a potent force in the Church"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_Dei#Opus_Dei_in_society

But of course they're just evil Christains!
  • Options
    That's kind of what I'm driving at - although I disagree with the fact that the measures have been delayed, and I can see that it's because of pressure from faith organisations, that can't be the only issue here.

In fact, for me, the core issue is what will happen if this legislation never goes through? Because it didn't come into effect when it should have, I could still be thrown out of a bar or refused service in a shop for being gay. There's a certain argument that this is always going to be at the manager's discretion and that the "evil nanny-state government" is taking away their right to select their clientele, but personally I think that my right to go out and have a drink like anyone else supercedes the managers right not to have gays in his bar.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    But of course they're just evil Christains!
    Just because somebody is Christian or Catholic doesn't mean they are automatically good, you know.

And before you use the above sentence to claim they're not automatically bad either, I must remind you again that the Opus Dei is not an organisation representative of mainstream Catholicism. Indeed, most Catholics in Spain see the Opus Dei as little more than 'nutters'.

The Opus Dei is a brainwashing sect. Young, previously normal people have been brainwashed by the organisation and severed all ties with their families, friends and previous lives. Ex-members who have escaped the grasp of the sect have testified of young women being used for unpaid domestic service akin to semi slavery serving the homes of high rank OD officials. OP is well infilitrated in political circles, mostly in Spain but in other countries too, and peddling the most ultrafundamentalist branch of Catholicism imaginable.

I personally find it rather disturbing that one of its members should be in charge of such issues as social welfare and gay rights.