Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Veils and Limbo

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    crystalx2 wrote:
    and you know this because you know every single Muslim woman who wears the veil? How on earth would you know the real reason that they wear the veil? Yes, I'm sure that women who wouldn't have really been arsed with the veil in the first place would now just put one on to make a statement :yeees: Why are they separating themselves from their British identity? You don't have to choose between following your race OR your religion, you can have both! What does a person have to wear/say/do to make sure that they're not separating themselves from their British identity?Would it be better if everyone in Britain wore blue jeans, trainers and a black t-shirt? Because then noone would be separating themselves from society and then we'll have the perfect British society where noone would be different from anyone.

:confused:

Honestly baffled by that statement.
  • Options
    Last time I looked, wearing a veil doesn't infringe on anyone's freedom.

Except of course the person wearing it. Though I am coming from a Western viewpoint, maybe Muslim women love being enclosed inside a veil, I, myself would be more sceptical.
  • Options
    You have any evidence to support your beliefs that most women wearing the veil are doing so against their wishes?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Except of course the person wearing it. Though I am coming from a Western viewpoint, maybe Muslim women love being enclosed inside a veil, I, myself would be more sceptical.
    Well that's their personal choice. Yes there may be cases where people are forced by their husbands or families to wear a veil, but we can't assume just that that is the case. There are plenty of non-muslims who try and tell their wives and girlfriends what they can wear and who they can see as well. We just have to make sure that when these women want to help themselves, the law is there to back them up. They have the freedom to do whatever they want, and yes, that includes the freedom to choose to obey their male family members if they want to. I think it's patronising to assume that women who wear the veil don't do so of their own free will. And as long as the law is there, we have to assume that they wear the veil of their own free will, unless they say otherwise.
  • Options
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You have any evidence to support your beliefs that most women wearing the veil are doing so against their wishes?

Did I say they didn't want to wear them?
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I agree with I'm With Stupid. Also many women claim that wearing the veil actually enhances their freedom and liberates them from the gaze of males and the pressures of our society to look a certain way, a sexually available way. Who are we to tell them they're wrong?

I didn't say it was wrong.

Ok, so the Quoran doesn't say a woman has to wear a veil. It's a custom in the Middle East made by men. That's a fact. When they move here they have a choice not to wear them. Now I'm sure some women like wearing them, however, I'm sure many don't for obvious reasons. What I'm saying is because of the media perception of Muslims has angered them a lot, and I'm saying that many women wear the veil as a statement of their antagonism towards this media perception.
  • Options
    No rational person would voluntarily chose to walk around with a piece of cloth entirely covering their face. Those that do are either possessed with some kind of religious dogma or simply adhering to the expectations/demands of their husband/family/community.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    What I'm saying is because of the media perception of Muslims has angered them a lot, and I'm saying that many women wear the veil as a statement of their antagonism towards this media perception.
    I definitely agree with that.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    No rational person would voluntarily chose to walk around with a piece of cloth entirely covering their face. Those that do are either possessed with some kind of religious dogma or simply adhering to the expectations/demands of their husband/family/community.
    Rational by whose standards? By my standards no rational person would worship something based on something someone wrote 2000 years ago, but plenty of people do, and they are free to do so. I don't have a problem with them, as long as the only people they are implicating are themselves. I don't consider it rational, but I accept that other people have different opinions and are free to act based on those opinions.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Did I say they didn't want to wear them?
    That's how came across to me...
    I'm sure most women do not feel comfortable wearing these things whether it's a custom or not.
  • Options
    Presumably no rational person would want to avoid sex before marriage either, and those who do are clearly possessed by some religous dogma as well.

Are you trying to suggest deeply religious people are not rational or in possession of their full mental faculties? ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That's how came across to me...

They might hate wearing them, wanting to wear them is a different thing altogether. I'm sure hunger strikers hate the fact that they can't eat but they go ahead with it anyway.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Presumably no rational person would want to avoid sex before marriage either, and those who do are clearly possessed by some religous dogma as well.

Are you trying to suggest deeply religious people are not rational or in possession of their full mental faculties? ;)

I don't think avoiding sex before marriage or belief in God are irrational in the same sense that the wearing the burqa is. Unlike the latter they do not directly, visibly and unnecessarily foster separation. Imo, people do not disadvantage themselves particularly through belief in a God; anybody who covers their entire face in cloth is disadvantaging themselves and disconnecting themselves from society. The burqa makes face to face communication pointless, it's an irrational cultural object.
  • Options
    Well i never said the veil infringes on anyones freedoms, but if i was back at school or university being educated by some one wearing a mask and hiding their face i wouldnt want to be their and i would not be able to take them seriously one bit. If i can not actually the face the person teaching me how can i possibly believe a word they say. Hiding your identity behind a mask whether its a veil or not is still hiding behind one, if some one wants to do it for walking down the street, going to cinema, renting a dvd, whatever thats cool, but i dont think masks have any reason to be in the work place (exception been call centre or over the phone work)...except if you are a criminal, then you do need a mask of some kind when your working.
  • Options
    Just to clarify, a face veil and a burqa are not the same things.

Did anyone watch Question Time the other night? There were a number of veiled women amongst the audience. Many of them spoke, and every single one reaffirmed several times they had wanted to wear the veil and made the decision themselves. Indeed some of them had only taken up the veil very recently. Perhaps a reaction from a society that is becoming more judgemental of Muslims by the day, I wonder?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Perhaps a reaction from a society that is becoming more judgemental of Muslims by the day, I wonder?

That's the point I've been making from the beginning of this thread. There has been an increase of veil wearing and it is a cause of the increasingly bad relations between Muslims and non-Muslims these days.
  • Options
    I agree with yersacrote, the increase in full facial veil wearing is doing nothing to help societys attitude towards these muslims

There's a phrase, you don't trust what you don't know or can't see, and in western culture that holds a lot of the time.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    There has been an increase of veil wearing and it is a cause of the increasingly bad relations between Muslims and non-Muslims these days.

I think that the point Aladdin is making is that it's the other way around
  • Options
    I think which way round it is could go on as long as chicken and egg, but one definitely doesn't help the other.
  • Options
    I just find it amazing that we can have pretty substantial muslim minorities in this country for 40 years, and suddenly now it's become an issue what these people choose to wear. Sorry, but I can't help but think it's a result of the government's shit-stirring combined with the reporting of the Daily Mail and friends.
  • Options
    I agree it is probably a lot to do with media attention, and not just right wing media either, lets us be fair here, all the media have taken pretty much the same side, they just differ into degree of how they have reported...with exceptions of course, it is not one rule for all media outlets of course.

However, "political correctness gone mad", "it is only common sense", "Where is the respect" attitudes, from both sides of the arguement, not just one side have done much to continue this. I would go so far as to say, those you would call the "daily mail crowd" have taken this incident to their advantage, but so have the militant clerics, et al with their own agenda to promote.

It is hardly a one sided, all of a sudden event i am sure, it just seems that way.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    That's the point I've been making from the beginning of this thread. There has been an increase of veil wearing and it is a cause of the increasingly bad relations between Muslims and non-Muslims these days.
    Actually I meant it the other way around (as MoK suspected).

There has always been a number women wearing the veil in this country. However there has been an increase in the last couple of years, after 9/11, after the illegal war on Iraq, after the ever increasing front page headlines in the tabloid press about Muslims this and Muslims that.

The phenomenon is not new. Before the Balkans war Muslim women in Kosovo wore mostly Western clothes. During and afer the war there was a marked increase in women wearing the veil.

When one is being targeted, or at least feels like he's being targeted, one common natural reaction is defiance.
  • Options
    I wish people would read what I wrote in this thread?
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    From looking sexy, to being hard to communicate with - I went out on the streets to bug you for your opinion on wearing veils in public. The majority seemed to think it's a personal choice, have a read and a listen and see if you agree with the comments made...
  • Options
    The burqa is a pre-historic garment that should have been confined to the annals of history along with witch hunts and women not being able to vote.

The argument that women wear it out of choice rather than through the influence of an oppressive male may well be true in some cases, though I doubt many women would admit to wearing it under instruction after having a BBC mic. shoved under their nose.

The burqa as far as I can see is a symbol of more oppressive times and places. I find it as unsettling to see as when I hear black people referring to themselves and their peers as “nigger”.