Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Earrings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so i have my ear lobes pierced twice and I wear studs in them all the time, for sleeping in and everything. I hardly ever change them unless I'm going out.

I used to wear the earrings that I had them pierced with (i know, but they were nice!) and they were fine, they never hurt me or anything. recently i decided i wanted silver studs so I bought some from Claires Accessories that said 'fine for sensitive skin' because I thought they'd be better for sleeping in and stuff. They were alright for about 6 weeks but now they've started irritating me really badly, they itch and make my ears go red.

So basically I'm saying...I want silver studs in my ears so which ones do i buy that wont irritate me? do I need to buy real silver ones from a jewellery shop? The ones from Claires were only £4 so fair enough that they've started hurting!

ta kids :D

Comments

• Options
    i'd suggest getting proper silver ones.

i have problems with my ears even when i wear proper gold earrings. :(
  • Options
    if you are wearing the same earrings 24/7 then you should spend a bit more moeny and get some real silver ones.
  • Options
    I find I can only wear silver studs from jewellers or Kit Heath ones, can't wear any earings for a long time out of Next, Claires, Monsoon, Doroty Perkins etc maybe few hours then they irritate so I put my gold stud ins.
    I recently got some lovely tiny studs from a shop in edinburgh were £12 a pair I think but worth it cos I wear them a lot and also just bought a pair of white gold studs too worth their money.
  • Options
    Yeah, if you're going to have them in constantly, spend a little more and get some proper earrings from a jewelers. Although Claire's aren't exactly terrible, they wont be designed for constant use. :)
  • Options
    I used to wear these Cubic Zirconia studs from Warren James all the time, they were like £6 or something silly and sterling silver.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    I used to wear these Cubic Zirconia studs from Warren James all the time, they were like £6 or something silly and sterling silver.

Hmm yeaah i think thats what I was thinking of, is sterling silver real silver?

im not cheap by the way people :p haha i only bought the claires ones just to see if they looked okay. i'll invest in some real silver ones as soon as i get paid. aye.
  • Options
    I dunno, I am crap with "real" jewellery. I thought sterling silver was "real" silver?

haha.
  • Options
    Yeah, stirling silver is 'real' silver!
  • Options
    Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver, hence the hallmark - 925. Fine silver (99.9%) is too soft to be useful.

The only other silver standard I'd expect to find in decent jewellery is Britannia silver, which is slightly purer than Sterling at 95.8% silver.
  • Options
    Yeah, stirling silver is 'real' silver!

Wow, I'm more cultured than I thought! GET IN. :D
  • Options
    I cant even use gold/silver in my ears any more as my nickel allergy is so bad now days. :( My carlidges peircings are fine but I still have to totally replace my lobe earrings every year or so. I can only wear surgical grade stainless steel as well. Cheap stuff from Claires is definatley not for long term constant wearing.