Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Roadtrip

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Right I'm thinking of going on a road trip next year somewhere in the US at the moment we are torn between going to the deep south - mississippi, louisianna etc or going further west to cowboy country and to do some ranching!!

But i'm torn between the two and I love them both as ideas but for very different reasons. So i'm kind of wanting to see if anyone has been to either and got any suggestions one way or the other....

Would probaly be for just over a week so not a super long one.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    cowboys...men in chaps...you'll love that.
  • Options
    Two things;

- Petrol has got a lot more expensive there, dont expect that to be cheap anymore.

- They are dangerous drivers, be careful.
  • Options
    Thankfully the hotels are stuiply super cheap at the moment - days inn's are working out at under £15 each before you factor in the shoney's /denny's vouchers and we aren't going for that long.

There are dangerous drivers everywhere in my wider experince of driving in foreign countries I think American's are about the safest i've come across - though you do get nutters everywhere. Having said that american cars are so crap they make themselves dangerous no matter how good a driver you are.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    There are dangerous drivers everywhere in my wider experince of driving in foreign countries I think American's are about the safest i've come across - though you do get nutters everywhere.

Each to their own experience I suppose, I guess its just I've been around Chicago and thats a massive transport hub for HUGE trucks with drivers who've been awake for two weeks on meth.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Each to their own experience I suppose, I guess its just I've been around Chicago and thats a massive transport hub for HUGE trucks with drivers who've been awake for two weeks on meth.

Lol the thing i found more scary especially in New York was the state of the roads - some of them were much worse than roads i've seen in developing countries - at one point we got stuck in a no moving traffic jam and were under a bridge i was convinced was going to fall on my head at any moment. Though the husband maintains the roads in Quebec are even worse.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Right I'm thinking of going on a road trip next year somewhere in the US at the moment we are torn between going to the deep south - mississippi, louisianna etc or going further west to cowboy country and to do some ranching!!

But i'm torn between the two and I love them both as ideas but for very different reasons. So i'm kind of wanting to see if anyone has been to either and got any suggestions one way or the other....

Would probaly be for just over a week so not a super long one.

I did a 2 week road trip from LA to all over the west coast - wasn't really that much to see, although Vegas was interesting .. I'd say do something from Miami to the surrounding areas, I reckon cowboy country will be kinda boring... the USA is so totally different to the way it comes across on TV and films.
  • Options
    I did a 2 week road trip from LA to all over the west coast - wasn't really that much to see, although Vegas was interesting .. I'd say do something from Miami to the surrounding areas, I reckon cowboy country will be kinda boring... the USA is so totally different to the way it comes across on TV and films.

I've been to California twice and Florida 3 times already (Plus NY, New Enlgand, Colorado and Alaska). Plus i went to Nevada for half an hour and there were proper cowboys at the gas station with spurs and everything and pick up trucks.

However I like mountains and deserts lots and i want to stay in seedy motels and drink bourbon. At the moment TX, Louisianna and Mississippi are winning - so kind of a bit of both.
  • Options
    If you want mountains and cowboys go to Colorado, its amazingly beautiful. Just dont break the law, they are one of the hardest states in the union.
  • Options
    I've been and its lovley - I would quite like to go again. My mother freaked out though when we were in a restaurant and the sherrif walked in with a gun - she almost hid under the table.
  • Options
    Last time I was there I was driving to the airport and I actually saw a man, in a cowboy hat lassoo-ing a big cow, it was great.

Denver airport is mad though, I dont know why but its the tightest security anywhere I've been.
  • Options
    Have you ever been to Delhi - they have stuipd security at Indian airports and until quite recently the airlines didn't trust the government so you had to not only go through a ridiculos number of security checks but also go through them all twice.

Or Israel - that is STUIPDLY strickt on the security front.

But in general the US sucks big time becuase they always make you feel like your a bad person even if your just going on holiday.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    When I was younger I went wiuth my familly on road trip from Phoenix, through Las Vegas and L.A up to San Francisco. Grand Canyon, Vegas lights, Death Valley, Disney Land and Golden Gate. Good holiday.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    When I was younger I went wiuth my familly on road trip from Phoenix, through Las Vegas and L.A up to San Francisco. Grand Canyon, Vegas lights, Death Valley, Disney Land and Golden Gate. Good holiday.

Ohh mild update - I am going to go on 2 trips - one this december and the other next may - the may one will be mississippi etc and the December one which i booked today will be roughly the same as skive's. (Except missing out LA and SF as I hate them both) - so any top tips???
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Wyetry wrote:
    Ohh mild update - I am going to go on 2 trips - one this december and the other next may - the may one will be mississippi etc and the December one which i booked today will be roughly the same as skive's. (Except missing out LA and SF as I hate them both) - so any top tips???

LA and SF arn't that nice you're right, and not really worth it if you've already been.

My uncle used to live in Flagstaff near Phoenix so I've had a couple of holidays there now.

Some suggestions:
    http://www.rawhide.com/ - I loved it as kid. Good Steak house too. Praire Oysters (Bulls Balls) and Rattlesnake specialities.
    The Grand Canyon - the most amazing landscape I've ever seen
    Death Valley - almost as good
    Las Vegas for obvious reasons
    See a Rodeo
    Go horse riding.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    gas has actually started going down again. it was in the high 3s and now its 2.40ish.

Almost $2 now in alot of places. :yippe: My parents in MN got it for $2.06 and I, right outside the city, its down to $2.19!!

[/random, sorry]

I wish the elections would never come and it would stay that way.

I gotta ask though, what made you want to go to Mississippi and that area?
  • Options
    Ohh well - becacuse you know its not your average holiday destination and tis always good to go off the beaten track.

Plus you get to go hear people with mad southern accents (who probably wont' understand a word i'm saying) and remind yourself that there are still desperately poor people in the worlds richest country.

And the paddle steamers and plantation houses and the blues and southern fried chicken and lots of information about the struggle of black people in southern states to gain equal rights all kind of interesting stuff, oh and lots of bourbon.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Ohh well - becacuse you know its not your average holiday destination and tis always good to go off the beaten track.

Plus you get to go hear people with mad southern accents (who probably wont' understand a word i'm saying) and remind yourself that there are still desperately poor people in the worlds richest country.

And the paddle steamers and plantation houses and the blues and southern fried chicken and lots of information about the struggle of black people in southern states to gain equal rights all kind of interesting stuff, oh and lots of bourbon.

Oh awsome. Sounds like you've got it all planned. Don't forget to take pictures to share ;)
  • Options
    Oh and i forgot the whole elvis birthplace kind of thing as well.
  • Options
    Redneck country eh? Sounds like fun, I'd vouch for Texas myself but not up to me!