Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Siberia - Melting!

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
This is a very worrying development - and shows just how bad global warming is getting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5323964.stm
I have had the chance, and the impact of the warming is becoming very noticeable to local people. In the regional capital, Yakutsk, I saw huge holes torn in major roads where the permafrost had melted.

I also saw an urgent effort to shore up a large office block in danger of collapse. Many other buildings have not been saved.

Curiously the people of Siberia have come to rely on the extreme winter cold. For example, the freezing of the rivers opens up transport routes. The recent warming and the prospect of that accelerating are serious challenges here.

All I can think is - these poor people who live here - repairs are going to be hard to afford. Russia can't afford to rebuild the whole of Siberia - and the locals can't real afford it either. It's a thin line between survival and death out there.

Also - if Siberia melts - this permafrost has been solid for centries - this is going to stuff up the climate quite badly. Surley this should send the warning signs to the idiots in Washington who like to deny it exists? I don't see how the can still deny it in the face of all the evidence we see about us. Fools. Thier children will suffer - the next generation - my generation.

Something has to be done.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nature will find a way.
  • Options
    Well they will live in a stupid fucking place like that.
  • Options
    I think the new ice age that's meant to be coming soon will sort it all out. Nature always finds a way. And then we can ski all year round. Yay!
  • Options
    But they have been living there for thousands of years. The addition to indiscriminate use of fossil fuels has been with us for just over a century. I know what the obvious solution is.

From the Poles to the top of Mont Blanc to Siberia, the evidence of massive and disturbingly fast global warming is there for all to see. It's only too bad Washington DC is not at sea level. Perhaps if the White House and the HQ of the Republican Party were amongst the first to be submerged a few people would start acting responsably and stop being selfish lying cunts.
  • Options
    Global Warming is far too friendly sounding. People don't take it seriously. Call it 'Environmental Death', 'Nature's Apocalypse' or just 'We are deeply fucked because of pollution' and people might be more open to actually getting of their arses and doing something.
  • Options
    Nature Laughs Last! We will all die and then the Earth will start again, anew.

Or...maybe we need to help out North Korea, launch a few more Nukes, cause Nuclear Winter and let it cancel out Global Warming!

Also...if Siberia melts, won't all that radiation from Soviet Nuclear Testing thats locked in the ice spread into the water and air and all over and kill everyone there anyway?
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    Also...if Siberia melts, won't all that radiation from Soviet Nuclear Testing thats locked in the ice spread into the water and air and all over and kill everyone there anyway?

Doubtful. The Nuclear testing radiation has probably blown away by now, that'll have affected seasonal ice and soforth.

The Ice melting has been frozen for thousands, maybe MILLIONS, of years. Maybe it'll unleash some dinosaurs that were practically cryogenically frozen! :nervous:

Poor Siberians. :( Infinite - Yeah, we should give it a more brutal sounding name. Evironmental Death sounds good... hmm... petition time?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    migpilot wrote:
    Nature will find a way.
    Oh, yes. It will. I do believe nature always finds a way to correct problems.
    Don't forget though that we humans are also subject to nature. It's very likely that its way to correct this problem would be to get rid of us, or many/most of us.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    'We are deeply fucked because of pollution'

Are "we" ? :chin:
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Are "we" ? :chin:

yes m8
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    yes m8

How do YOU know ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    How do YOU know ?

Are YOU just going to ask STUPID questions or make a POINT?

• Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Are YOU just going to ask STUPID questions or make a POINT?

I could make (up) a statement.

YOU could ask me how I know that to be true.

I would not consider YOUR question stupid.

But that`s ME
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I could make (up) a statement.

YOU could ask me how I know that to be true.

I would not consider YOUR question stupid.

But that`s ME

Well it seems to be all YOU do is make post like that.

Please, how do you believe we are NOT fucked by global warming?
  • Options
    Seeker

I've got a question.

When you were dropped on your head as a baby - did you bounce?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Seeker

I've got a question.

When you were dropped on your head as a baby - did you bounce?

Now I find that question intriguing.

Are you insinuating something ?

Perhaps, but I DON`T KNOW.

However, you have made a statement of certainty. "When you were.."

Admittedly, I DON`T KNOW if you were present but on the evidence available to me I would guess that it is highly unlikely.

Amazingly (to me) you then ask for clarification about an event that you have already expressed certainty about.

Perhaps you should think about a career in climate science ;)

Are you paying attention, Teh_Gerbil.Your question has just been answered.
  • Options
    You truy are quite mad.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Are you paying attention, Teh_Gerbil.Your question has just been answered.

It has indeed. You posted some toss :p

So, are you going to grace us unworthy ones with your views on Climate Change, and the Siberia issue? Do please so, oh holy light.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Global Warming is far too friendly sounding. People don't take it seriously. Call it 'Environmental Death', 'Nature's Apocalypse' or just 'We are deeply fucked because of pollution' and people might be more open to actually getting of their arses and doing something.
    Or 'Climate Chaos'...

Anybody read the Independent last Monday? I can't believe that our Prime Minister clocks up so many air miles and I thought Labour cared about climate change. :rolleyes:

The problem that we have always had most recently is that there have been -government/oil company paid- 'climatologists' claiming that we don't have a climate change problem and that we are not contributing to the issue as much as some people claim. However, it's kind of fortunate that attitudes appear to be changing towards the issue and that entities like the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change exist.

Seeker, yes WE are affected according to top climate change scientists, environmentalists, some journalists and politicians.

There has been resarch to show that human consumption of fossil fuels contributes greatly to the shift in climate temperatures and I shall tell you why.

Firstly, every living creature on the planet is carbon based and fossil fuels are made by dead plants and animals which have laid beneath the earth's surface for millions of years and have broken down, become compressed and so on. When we burn these fossil fuels we are releasing the carbon in to the atmosphere as CO2.

The atmosphere already has a lot of natural gases in the atmosphere which keep our planet warm. What is unique about gases such as CO2, methane, N20 ect is because the warmth from the sun can filter through them, bounce off the earth's surface and then remain trapped in the atmosphere instead of going back out in to space. This is what causes the earth's climate to gradually get warmer although we are fortunate that so much of the earth's surface is covered by water... Else we'd be royally screwed (water absorbs the heat and the light, thus warming slower).

So in short, human activities which are contributing to climate change:

Transport - C02 and other nasties being thrown in to the atmosphere from cars, planes, trucks and motorbikes. Not only are we talking here about private transport and Easyjet, but also about our food and comodities. If you buy some apples from South Africa you are causing the planet harm. If you buy out of season fruit and vegetables which have been grown on British soil, you are causing harm because energy is used to heat up greenhouses.
    Energy consumption - Most of our energy comes from power stations which use non renewable energy (eg, coal, gas ect)... So the more energy we use in the home and at work with electronics, the more C02 is produced.
    Deforestation - Plants eat C02, big trees eat more than baby trees... If we cut down big trees, even if we replace them with baby trees we are doing harm (just to note, I heard that baby trees extract more methane when they are growing?).
    Cattle and livestock - Fart and put methane in the atmosphere...

I could go on, but the point is Seeker... Before you go and take the piss out of people concerned for the environment, at least attempt to display some knowledge yourself. And maybe grow up too.
  • Options
    I could go on, but the point is Seeker... Before you go and take the piss out of people concerned for the environment, at least attempt to display some knowledge yourself. And maybe grow up too.

:confused::confused:

I don`t recall taking the piss out of anyone in this thread, unless you equate questioning someone`s alleged certitude with taking the piss.

I think I am way past growing.(At least vertically). But my memory recalls once upon a time before you grew up (and I think before you were even born ?) there were many "top climate change scientists, environmentalists, some journalists and politicians" certain that WE were not far off a new ice age.

This I believe was based on figures produced that showed that the earth had been cooling since 1940.This went on until 1975 when there was a turnaround in the temperature measurements.

I`ve said it before and I think I may say it again : Beware of the "expert". Especially the one who is certain.

As for the "science", I believe it`s based on experiments carried out in the lab (discounting variables that cannot be produced in a lab)and then projected into a computer model.

In effect that is a model of a model. I`m almost certain that can`t be certain.

Can someone predict the weather 2/3 days ahead with certainty, working on a small area with a far more accurate model ?

The Met Office would probably admit fallibility on that one.
    we are fortunate that so much of the earth's surface is covered by water... Else we'd be royally screwed (water absorbs the heat and the light, thus warming slower).

And . . . . forms clouds. What effect do think they may have ?

Don`t bother consulting those computer models because I`ve heard the currently used ones can`t/neglect to take clouds into effect when simulating the (certain ?) future.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    think I am way past growing.(At least vertically). But my memory recalls once upon a time before you grew up (and I think before you were even born ?) there were many "top climate change scientists, environmentalists, some journalists and politicians" certain that WE were not far off a new ice age.
    Before 1983?

The earth's climate does shift, but it takes thousands of years for even a small difference. People have been measuring C02, methane ect in the earth's atmosphere and have found that we have contributed greatly to it (around a third since the industrial revolution?)... I've already explained the impact of this.
    This I believe was based on figures produced that showed that the earth had been cooling since 1940.This went on until 1975 when there was a turnaround in the temperature measurements.
    What figures? And where were they from?
    As for the "science", I believe it`s based on experiments carried out in the lab (discounting variables that cannot be produced in a lab)and then projected into a computer model.
    Highly sophisticated climate change models, undoubtedly more sophisticated than those used "before I was born".
    And . . . . forms clouds. What effect do think they may have ?

Don`t bother consulting those computer models because I`ve heard the currently used ones can`t/neglect to take clouds into effect when simulating the (certain ?) future.

Where? Source?
  • Options
    I suspect I`m talking about the same "highly sophisticated climate change models" to which you have referred.

Apparently there are around two dozen in the world.

However,they are said to produce different results.

That doesn`t seem shocking if you realise this is due to differing inputs.

One of the major disparities appears to be centred around cloud simulation. Not an easy thing to do with models, I`m told !

(You have probably heard the computer "Law" :GIGO{Garbage In Garbage})

Whether the inputs are indeed garbage are,in my opinion, anyone`s GUESS.

One,or more, MAY be correct and "we" MAY all be about to be fried alive but I don`t believe,based on the evidence put forth, that it is the CERTAINTY that the "experts" are saying.
  • Options
    Deforestation - Plants eat C02, big trees eat more than baby trees... If we cut down big trees, even if we replace them with baby trees we are doing harm (just to note, I heard that baby trees extract more methane when they are growing?).
    QUOTE]

mature forests have a net loss of CO2 while growing ones are net absorbers of CO2