Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Conservative policy group recommends £21bn tax cuts

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Spectacularly failing to engage with the point put to you. :rolleyes:

What point? All I see is daft rhetoric.
    You think high earners have a moral duty to pay more tax to help the poor. The idea that someone can be performing a moral duty by doing something mandatory does not make sense. The rationale behind levying additional taxes on higher earners with a higher rate is generally that the rich have a duty to help the poor. They do - but coercing them to perform that duty negates any basis in morality and makes the notion of duty defunct. (In contrast to helping the poor through private charity for instance)

Nope, still daft rhetoric.
  • Options
    Why? And make air travel the preserve of the rich again?

you cant honestly say £20 per seat makes a REAL profit, it's a subisidised industry it should be forced to compete properly by charging the same as other modes of transport in tax etc

most budget seat people are business travellers really anyway as you dont need luxuries on a short haul flight

and i believe i read a study today showing that if air tickets were a more REALISTIC price, that it would actually give a net boost the UK economy through internal tourism
  • Options
    most budget seat people are business travellers really anyway as you dont need luxuries on a short haul flight

Indeed. (Funny though how half the plane on the BA route to Brussels is business class...Civil servants :rolleyes: ) I've used budget airlines short-haul in Europe as well as managed to get cheap fares with the likes of BA/Lufthansa/etc. Can't say I've noticed that many business passengers on Easyjet/Ryanair, certainly not compared to BA/Lufthansa. I'd guess business travellers avoid budget airlines as they want flexible tickets or a lounge if they're going business; stuff you don't get on Ryanair.
    and i believe i read a study today showing that if air tickets were a more REALISTIC price, that it would actually give a net boost the UK economy through internal tourism

Maybe but that does not detract from the benefits of travelling and seeing different places.