Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scale of drawing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey

Posted this in Student because it's for my college work, but feel free to move it mods if you don't think it suits.

Basically (I feel a bit silly asking this, but neither me or my mate can work it out) I have a architect diagram of the internal layout of a building, and I'm trying to reporduce it on a piece of A4 paper for my work. Thing is, it has to be to scale with the building/original drawing.

The scale of the drawing just says 1:50. What is this likely to be? me and my mate guessed at either 1inch = 50m, or 1cm = 50m, but either way this makes the building ridiculously big, so we're thinking we're wrong!

Anyone got a more educated guess than us?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if the drawing says 1:50 then that should mean that every 1cm on paper corresponds to 50cm (or 0.5m) in reality. :) Hope that helps.
    That helps alot. I've got to try and reproduce it you see, onto something that fits onto A4 paper but have been struggling. Think I've finally cracked it now though :D
    get a scale ruler! may help lots, i use one all the time at work when looking at layouts of buildings
    I bet it wouldn't I've spent all afternoon on this, and still can't figure it out. I wish I could find a photocopier that took pieces of paper this big... I'd just set it to scale it down to A4 size and trace it I swear :D
    no trust me!! it really will

448641_sk_md.jpg

looks like that, has all the scales on (well common ones) you put it against what you want to scale and it works out the measurement for you!

i'd be lost without it.
    The only architect I know is my best friends dad, and he does most of his stuff on photoshop :p