Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paying your keep at home

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is your ex her biologoical father?

Either way I'd expect most fathers to be giving their 14 years old child money each week not taking it off of them. Maybe not giving them £20 but £5 to £10 maybe (to the child).

He's not normal. In any sense of the word.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    On the positive side.... he's getting evicted, I can't see him getting rehoused, so as it seems he'll soon be residing on a park bench I don't forsee too many access visits in the future!

Concentrate on that babe, postivity is the key :D

But £20 from a Saturday job? I don't think I used to earn £20 from my old Saturday job when I was that age, which is why I left it!

ETA: I lie, I earnt £21 a week. But still.
  • Options
    That's crazy, £20 would be most of her wage. What a twat. Congrats on her moving back miffy.
  • Options
    Is your ex her biologoical father?

So if Miffy gets married again, will her kid have a non-bio dad :D

So Miffy could say, ' Yeah her biological dad got under my skin, so i switched to a non-bio ' ;)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    So Miffy could say, ' Yeah her biological dad got under my skin, so i switched to a non-bio ' ;)

Very poor. Must try harder in future. 3/10
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    So if Miffy gets married again, will her kid have a non-bio dad :D

LOL .. very funny BUT seriously I was wondering how could anyone do that to their own flesh and blood. ... which is why I was being extra nosey and asking in the first place.
  • Options
    Oh, sorry, yes he is her biological father btw.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I honestly don't believe that it's that people can't afford to buy or rent their own place- its that they won't. They'd rather spend the dough on clothes and booze than on rent. It's a shame, because I think it makes people immature.

Pffft!
    My basic wage is just over £700 per month, how am I supposed to run a car, eat properly, pay council tax and pay rent?
    If I was going to move out of my parents house and rent a place of my own (I'd love to BTW)I'd be better off on the dole than trying to scrape by on minimum wage, atleast then my rent and tax would be paid for as many dole scum w*nkers seem to have found out.

For the record, I pay exactly £0
  • Options
    Pfft, nothing. My wage is only about £700 after tax, but before council tax.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Pfft, nothing. My wage is only about £700 after tax, but before council tax.

Yes,but there is more than one person in your household.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Pfft, nothing. My wage is only about £700 after tax

It just cannot be done, not alone anyway.
  • Options
    After tax I earn about £950 a month and I pay my parents £150. After all of my other bills are paid, I normally end up with about £100 a week free for things like toiletries, lunch etc
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Yes,but there is more than one person in your household.

Yep.

And we managed it when I was unemployed, living solely off GWST's wage.

My point was people who will spend £100 a week on going out and then whinge that they can't afford a house annoy the hell out of me.

You can rent a studio on the Newcastle Quayside for £350 a month, £100 a month for council tax and that still leaves you £300 a month for food and electric.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yep.

What's wrong with a houseshare?

Nothing at all, just that alot of young people living at home have no one to share a house with.

So to assume that because you earn the same amount roughly, that Tribal is also able to move out is unfair, as you have two people contributing to the costs.

Edited to answer your edit: Thing is, with rent being anywhere from £350-£525 a month in a lot of places, if not more, it's hard to pay al the costs needed on £700. Not impossible, but hard. Staying at home and saving helps.
  • Options
    Tribal wrote:
    Pffft!
    My basic wage is just over £700 per month, how am I supposed to run a car, eat properly, pay council tax and pay rent?
    If I was going to move out of my parents house and rent a place of my own (I'd love to BTW)I'd be better off on the dole than trying to scrape by on minimum wage, atleast then my rent and tax would be paid for as many dole scum w*nkers seem to have found out.

For the record, I pay exactly £0

Tripe. My basic wage was just under £500 per month when I was living at home, I still managed to pay £180 per month board, run a car(a nice one), and have a life.

Why can't people just admit when they're taking the piss, and getting a great deal from their parents?
  • Options
    Tripe. My basic wage was just under £500 per month when I was living at home, I still managed to pay £180 per month board, run a car(a nice one), and have a life.

Why can't people just admit when they're taking the piss, and getting a great deal from their parents?

I know that the amount I pay is pennies compared to what I would be paying even in a shared house in this area - £350

I offer my parents more money all of the time but since I also put a lot into the house time wise they do not want more.

Not all of us 'take the piss!'
  • Options
    I'm not saying that you do. But some people are getting a damned easy ride, and seem to think they are owed it.
  • Options
    It's true, most parents won't charge their kids very much at all if they go back home after uni or just don't move out or whatever. In fact, i've got friends who pay a pittance and i know that my mum wouldn't charge me anything like as much as i'm paying now.

My boyfriend and i graduated in July, and we went and rented a house on our own. It's not easy, and at the moment i am skint (i put petrol in my car last week and i've now got £20 until next weds when i get paid), but i have got enough to get by - i just have to turn down takeaways and nights out and shopping some of the time. It's the price you pay for independence.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You can rent a studio on the Newcastle Quayside for £350 a month, £100 a month for council tax and that still leaves you £300 a month for food and electric.

You said before that you charged your SIL £50 a week for food, electric and gas, and even then you were making a slight loss, but for the purposes of this we'll take it that an average food-electric-gas bill costs £50. Add everything to the rest of the figures over the course of a year and you're left with £400 to cover everything else - travel, clothes, internet, TV licence, toiletries, stuff for cleaning the house, I mean I doubt £400 would cover that, let alone going out. If you're going to quote figures, make sure they add up first. I do agree with you that some people moan when they have no reason to, but in your first post you made no mention of the fact that you meant some people, you just said people in general can afford it. And now you've shot yourself in the foot with an argument that doesn't hold up. Maybe think a little more about how best to word your posts (unless you like stirring things up, if so then keep going like this, you seem to have stirred this thread pretty well!).
  • Options
    I haven't shot myself in the foot at all- I included the dishwasher tablets, the washing powder, the toilet cleaner, everything in that.

For reference, the guideline amount to be spent at the supermarket in one week for a person living alone is £39, which adds up to about £170 a month, and that includes toiletries. A tube of toothpaste and a can of Right Guard doesn't cost that much. Internet + landline telephone costs £20 a month. A bus pass costs £40 a month (and you can always rent somewhere where you don't need to get the bus to work).

People can afford to move out on £750 a month after tax, they just don't want to give up the boozing and the shopping. That's fine if that's what they want, but don't try and pretend that they can't afford to get their own place, because they can.

I do live with my wife which is why I can afford the house I live in. I'd just have to give up going to the pub every weekend if I had my own place.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I haven't shot myself in the foot at all- I included the dishwasher tablets, the washing powder, the toilet cleaner, everything in that.
    You claim to be on a budget, yet you're using a dishwasher? You don't know your born! :p
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    People can afford to move out on £750 a month after tax, they just don't want to give up the boozing and the shopping.

Surely that depends where they live. I earn more than £750 a month but I am seriously struggling (and I don't spend all my wages on boozing and shopping). It's very tough financially to live alone, you only get 25% off council tax so have to cover 75% alone, you have to have your own TV licence, cover all the bills etc.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Surely that depends where they live. I earn more than £750 a month but I am seriously struggling (and I don't spend all my wages on boozing and shopping). It's very tough financially to live alone, you only get 25% off council tax so have to cover 75% alone, you have to have your own TV licence, cover all the bills etc.
    Just out of interest, when you see a rental cost, is council tax usually included in that, or seperate?
  • Options
    Just out of interest, when you see a rental cost, is council tax usually included in that, or seperate?

Separate usually.

I'm in a band A property (the cheapest) and I pay around £85 a month.
  • Options
    You claim to be on a budget, yet you're using a dishwasher? You don't know your born! :p

I don't claim to be on that tight a budget, as a couple our income is actually quite solid (whilst I have a shite job, GWST's job is actually very good).

Council tax wouldn't be included, but we pay £100 a month for a band A house, and we obviously don't get the discount.
  • Options
    wildchild wrote:
    You said before that you charged your SIL £50 a week for food, electric and gas, and even then you were making a slight loss, but for the purposes of this we'll take it that an average food-electric-gas bill costs £50. Add everything to the rest of the figures over the course of a year and you're left with £400 to cover everything else - travel, clothes, internet, TV licence, toiletries, stuff for cleaning the house, I mean I doubt £400 would cover that, let alone going out. If you're going to quote figures, make sure they add up first. I do agree with you that some people moan when they have no reason to, but in your first post you made no mention of the fact that you meant some people, you just said people in general can afford it. And now you've shot yourself in the foot with an argument that doesn't hold up. Maybe think a little more about how best to word your posts (unless you like stirring things up, if so then keep going like this, you seem to have stirred this thread pretty well!).

Welcome to the real world, chief. I believe you have little idea how much free cash many people don't have, especially when they're young. If you want more in your life, find a job with a better wage. It's how life works.

For what it's worth, I think anyone on £850+ per month should be able to live quite comfortably by themselves, so long as they are realistic in their expectations from life. £350 rent, £80 council tax, £50 electric/gas - you'll either eat, drink, drive, watch or wear the rest as you see fit.
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I think anyone on £850+ per month should be able to live quite comfortably by themselves, so long as they are realistic in their expectations from life. £350 rent, £80 council tax, £50 electric/gas - you'll either eat, drink, drive, watch or wear the rest as you see fit.
    Incidentally, it does seem to be almost out of the question to own a car if you're young, male and on minimum wage (or thereabouts). You're insurance is usually over £100 a month before you even consider anything else.
  • Options
    Incidentally, it does seem to be almost out of the question to own a car if you're young, male and on minimum wage (or thereabouts). You're insurance is usually over £100 a month before you even consider anything else.

Well most people don't really need a car. I'm 24 and I have never had one. My Dad doesn't have one either.

Some people seem to think it's a right and a basic necessity to have a car. I can accept that if you live in a tiny village but most places it's not necessary and yes, it's a big expense if you're on a low wage.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Well most people don't really need a car.
    Well I do, so bite me. :p In fact, I've got a feeling that I'm going to find it really hard to do the work I want to after leaving my parents place, because it's so expensive to drive. And the cost of the car, petrol, road tax and servicing has nothing to do with it. It's entirely down to the fact that insurance companies are allowed to price young men off the road. But then that's another argument altogether.
  • Options