Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

US Govt seeks space dominance!

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Well well, they want dominance do they? Perhaps they should have got up thier FIRST then? Instead of wasting thier cash on other things, and letting say, the NAVY have a go space. (God, that was a funny rocket).

Anyway, they want to restrict any technology they dislike other having, e.g: Stop other nations getting into space at all, and the have reject treaties prohibiting space weapons. Perhaps they should have got a space weapon up FIRST then and stop being sore losers.

Yeah, I want to rant at how much the US space program has generally sucked since day 1. They are just luck the USSR collapsed, really. Otherwise they'd have been fucked.

Fucking lucky a twat was controlling that weapon the USSR put up in space too, and accidenty hit re-entry. Muppet... I bet he went straight to gulag.

Story here.
The United States will preserve its rights, capabilities, and freedom of action in space ... and deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to US national interests."

The text also rejects any treaties forbidding space weapons.

Home Site Guide Contact Us Set As HomePage Add to favorites

US seeks to monopolise space

Thursday 19 October 2006, 8:24 Makka Time, 5:24 GMT

Analysts say the new US policy fails to admit the rights of others
Tools:
Email Article
Print Article
Send Your Feedback

George Bush, the US president, has approved a new national space policy which seeks to deny adversaries the use of space technologies deemed hostile to the US.

The new document replaces a 1996 space policy. It was approved by Bush on August 31 and was published quietly by the White House on October 6.

"United States national security is critically dependent upon space capabilities, and this dependence will grow," the strategic document says.

"The United States will preserve its rights, capabilities, and freedom of action in space ... and deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to US national interests."

The text also rejects any treaties forbidding space weapons.

"The United States will oppose the development of new legal regimes or other restrictions that seek to prohibit or limit US access to or use of space."

No weapons

The US government said the new policy document did not signify moves towards using weapons from space.

"It's not a shift in policy," Tony Snow, White House spokesman, said.

"The notion that you would do defence from space is different than the weaponisation of space."

Nonetheless, the policy document has surprised some.

"While this policy does not explicitly say we are not going to shoot satellites or we are going to put weapons in space, it does, it seems to me, open the door towards that," Theresa Hitchens, director of the Centre for Defence Information, said.

According to Hitchens, this view is confirmed by US army documents that clearly express an interest in space weapons.

Shift in direction

Hitchens noted the new policy also represents a significant shift from the previous policy document initiated under Bill Clinton, the previous US president.

"This is a much more unilateralist vision of space. The United States in this policy seeks to establish its rights but fails to acknowledge the rights of other countries in space, where the Clinton policy was very careful to acknowledge the rights of all nations in space," Hitchens said.

I hope China's space program goes well now, and they dominate space soon. It'd serve the US right for cutting NASA's funding, and for being twatish about space, trying to control it. It isn't exclusivley thiers - it is everyones, the have no exclusive right. If anyone does, it is Russia. They got there first.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This in addition to the fucking chimp tearing up the nuclear non-proliferation treaties, going ahead with the absurd Star Wars defence shield and starting a new nuclear arms race with Russia and others.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Bush administration is the biggest threat to world peace since the Third Reich. The sooner that bunch of warmongering cunts are removed from power, the better.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    This in addition to the fucking chimp tearing up the nuclear non-proliferation treaties, going ahead with the absurd Star Wars defence shield and starting a new nuclear arms race with Russia and others.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Bush administration is the biggest threat to world peace since the Third Reich. The sooner that bunch of warmongering cunts are removed from power, the better.

I guess ou like my new Av then. :D

Yeah, they seem to be causing wars all over and pissing off 90% of the rest of the world. And alot of thier own population - to think he hasn't even been in his second term as long as it feels... we have ages left of him :(