Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Changing Broadband providers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im currently (or until today) with Tiscali for my home broadband have been with them for over a year so can leave.

Basically Tiscali have this “Fair usage Policy” which means that between the hours of 6 pm till 11 pm are called “peak times” and you are advised to restrict your bandwidth use between those times, well fair enough I thought when I first found out about this.

So just used the internet during the day and downloaded files after 11 and stopped them when I got home about 6.

But then I started with Google video during peak times and in the space of a week I got 3 warnings and have now been put into the “high usage” group.

OK I thought no problem no Google video at these times but now I discover I CANT EVEN LOG ON TO PLAY FUCKING POKER, during “peak times” this shows that it’s clearly a con to get rid of you as a customer as the poker uses less Megs than a few internet pages.
They don’t want to charge me a few more quid a month for “high usage” cause if they did that it would give the lie to their “unlimited” claims.

Anyway I cant get a MAC code (cause of some setup on my line) so have to cancel my account which means I will be probably 3 or 4 weeks with out (FUCK)

With my bandwidth use I can’t really go with another “unlimited” supplier I will have to pay for one that allows you a bit more volume so far PlusNet seems good option

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_premier.shtml?link=resbb_premierlink

20GB during peak times (per month) unlimited outside of peak, 21.99 per month peak hours for them are 4 pm to midnight.

Seems like about the amount I need can of course still have unlimited outside of peak hours, is there a better offer for my usage

Does anybody have any horror stories about PlusNet (on the web there are lots for Tiscali)

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Options
    just a link to the fair usage policy Linky

I dont think they are the ones to blame, you are the one leaching all night and all day tbh
  • Options
    With my bandwidth use I can’t really go with another “unlimited” supplier I will have to pay for one that allows you a bit more volume so far PlusNet seems good option

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_premier.shtml?link=resbb_premierlink

20GB during peak times (per month) unlimited outside of peak, 21.99 per month peak hours for them are 4 pm to midnight.

Seems like about the amount I need can of course still have unlimited outside of peak hours, is there a better offer for my usage

Does anybody have any horror stories about PlusNet (on the web there are lots for Tiscali)

Any suggestions ?

I've been with Plusnet since May 2005, overall a god company and you can self manage most of you account yourself online.

But I'm on the £14.99 a month scheme with only a 4GB a month limit between 4pm to midnight which I'm now starting to find a pain - the limit was only 3GB per month until a few months ago.

What I di like about Plusnet is they've gievn a real number to their roducts not just we'll decide what's excessive depending on how we feel that week.

4GB is 4GB and if you go over they simply slow down your internet until the end of the month and then gets reset to normal.

I'm considering moving to Sky Broadband, only cos £1 for £1 I could save a lot of money as we already have Sky TV but doubt ir would be anywhere as reliable. My neighbur has Orange ADSL and had no internet for 3 days now.

Eclispe also look pretty good
    http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=home_res

BTW Plusnet do a recommend a friend scheme - so each person you recommend gets you 50p off your monthly fee, I've recommended 3 people and so get £1.50p knocked off each month.
  • Options
    Sky is a good deal but it depends whether it is in your area. NTL are good and have high speeds and no caps, although there is a 'fair usage policy' but tbh I've been running torrents and downloads 24 / 7 and we've never heard a peep :).

Tech support isn't great, diverted me to someone in India who was telling me to do loads of stupid stuff 'is the light on' etc. etc. but if you can get a good price they're good. We pay £10 pcm for 4mbit, but we got preferential rates as we were existing customers.
  • Options
    Phoenix_ wrote:
    just a link to the fair usage policy Linky

I dont think they are the ones to blame, you are the one leaching all night and all day tbh

So Im a leach for assuming that a company offering "unlimited" supply might actually be unlimited.

Tiscali are being dishonest, realy they should alow me the option of paying an extra fiver a month for higher volume.
    They wont because then it would demonstrate that their Unlimited* is misleading, they are looking for a large number of users using little bandwidth
  • Options
    So Im a leach for assuming that a company offering "unlimited" supply might actually be unlimited.

Tiscali are being dishonest, realy they should alow me the option of paying an extra fiver a month for higher volume.
    They wont because then it would demonstrate that their Unlimited* is misleading, they are looking for a large number of users using little bandwidth

If you ARE looking for a straight forward company then I do highly recommend Plus Net for that.

They messed up about 4 or 5 motnhs ago and cos I'd recommended people to Plusnet before they sent around a specific emails saying they'd messed up and apologising.

Also their forums which customers have access to allow you to post anything good or bad about them and Plus Net even tell you exactly how much money they've spent and on buying what for the service.

All this fair usage policy nonsense all the ISP's are saying they have means the customers can be taken off the service whenever or however they want, at least Plusnet gives you a real number for how much bandwidth you can use and if you go over it they just slow down your connection until the end of the month.

It's only happened to me once when I went over was no big deal unless you do it 3 months in a row and I'll probabaly go over again this month cos I went from 1 mb/s to 8mb/s and gave it a good thrashing .. lol

If you're looking for an honest ISP then I think Plusnet is a very good choice and if you want to use my recommend a friend thingy then just PM me.

If it weren't for Sky being in my area and offering pretty much everything I need or £5 a month I wouldn't even consider moving and even so I'm thinking it's best to wait a few months for Sky to sort themselves out cos you could easily spend another £5 a month on the telephone waiting for their staff to answer your call if there's a problem.