Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paying your keep at home

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think its excessive because most graduates leave uni with a huge overdraft and no money. they also spend months looking for work and starting their career. once they are lucky enough to get a job in their chosen career they will be paid crap money because they're just starting out. if i was paying my parents 1/4 of my wage i would never be able to save up and move out on my own as well as trying to bring down my 2 overdrafts. thats the sort of money you pay when you have your own place, not at your parents house.

but agree to disagree!
  • Options
    some of you seem to have it easy. if people work full time and only pay 25 quid a week for rent and bills and food they must have loads of money leftover. lucky for them. im 24 and havent lived at home since i was 17. dont think I could bear it and I wouldn´t really be welcome anyway to be honest.

if someone gets on with their parents fair enough but i do think its a bit sad when people are in their mid 20s and still live at home...you need independence.
    as for contributing i think people should help out with bills and food and general upkee but your parents shouldnt be trying to make a profit off you if theyve paid their mortgage off.

and kermit it is easy for you to talk people down but as part of a couple its a lot easier for you to get on the property ladder. as a single person i couldnt evenget a mortgage on a squat.

oh and 1/4 of your wage is nothing. i pay around 1/2 of mine just in rent, never mind bills.
  • Options
    1/4 of your take home pay is exessive for rent, food and all bills?! I wish I had a deal that sweet.

You may well have debts but money is tight for most people, you seem to expect your parents to look after you indefinitely.
  • Options
    well my parents would never consider taking that amount of money from me. i expect to be paying about £350 per month for rent next year when i move out on my own. until then my parents knw my situation and want me to save up, which i am doing. it just sounds like caring supportive parents to me.

i don't want my parents to care for me indefinitely. i have supported myself for the past 4 years at uni and i can't wait to do it again!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    it just sounds like caring supportive parents to me.
    So are you saying that because my Dad would like 1/4 of my wage if I live at home after uni for keep that he isn't a caring and supportive father?

I don't see how you can't save/pay off your overdraft if you only give 1/4 of your wage away. I've done it all summer. I've been paying £50 (around 1/4 of my wage) a week for my rent/food and I've saved up just over a grand and paid off my overdraft (£1600).

When I graduate, I shall get a crap job WHILST looking for a decent job.

Thats what I will be doing when I leave uni.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    it just sounds like caring supportive parents to me.

There is such a thing as being too supportive, I know at least two of my mates who because of situations like this just werent able to cope when they left home.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    There is such a thing as being too supportive, I know at least two of my mates who because of situations like this just werent able to cope when they left home.
    situations like what? like my friend who gets her rent paid and £250 spnding money a month?
    you can't compare your 2 friends to me anyway. i already lived on my own for 4 years. now im paying some keep and saving up so i can move out next year. i think thats pretty normal.
  • Options
    When I graduate, I shall get a crap job WHILST looking for a decent job.
    i have a crap job whilst looking for a good job.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    You're not wrong, but most people who've lived away from home at uni are probably ok to make the leap out of home, even if they go back home in the mean time.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    situations like what? like my friend who gets her rent paid and £250 spnding money a month?
    you can't compare your 2 friends to me anyway. i already lived on my own for 4 years. now im paying some keep and saving up so i can move out next year. i think thats pretty normal.

I wasnt really comparing you with my mates, how could I? I dont really know anything about you. I was speaking more broadly.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    if someone gets on with their parents fair enough but i do think its a bit sad when people are in their mid 20s and still live at home...you need independence.

and kermit it is easy for you to talk people down but as part of a couple its a lot easier for you to get on the property ladder. as a single person i couldnt evenget a mortgage on a squat.

That was my point, though, I think its unhealthy to still be living at home when you are 25 or 26. But some people like to because it means they get to spend their wage on fun, not on living. Some people find it hard to give up the fun social life for something as sensible as rent and electricity bills. That's their choice.

I'm not even talking about getting a mortgage- we were helped by a parental loan for the deposit on our terrace. But people who insist that they want to leave home, even rental, but "can't afford to" really get my back up when they live at home on a peppercorn rent and spend it all on booze and skirts instead of on the deposit for a place of their own. As I say, my office is full of them.

I reckon that if someone is paying less than £60 a week board and lodgings then their parents are making a loss on them. We're making a slight loss on my sister-in-law who's paying £50 a week.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Kermit wrote:
    I reckon that if someone is paying less than £60 a week board and lodgings then their parents are making a loss on them.

I think that would depend on the size of house/flat your living in. If i was paying my mother £60 pw that would be paying off 2/3's of the mortgage costs each month in my house. I literally just live in my room and when im not there im out ! I rarely eat food that my mother buys and keep myself to myself.

If i was paying that i would prefer to move out and have the luxurys of your own space
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    I think that would depend on the size of house/flat your living in.

Yeah I'd agree. If I paid £60 per week, it would work out that everyone else living here would only have to pay £30. (That would be if we all paid towards the mortgage, which me and my sister don't.)
  • Options
    £60 pw is more than I pay now and I've moved out.(that isn't including food though)
  • Options

I've saved up just over a grand and paid off my overdraft (£1600).

some of us prefer to spend our money. :p
  • Options
    I do spend money though.

I just worked alot. Worked hard then played hard if thats how you can put it.

Just because I was saving money and paying off my overdraft, that doesn't mean I didn't have any left over to spend on going out, clothes, etc.

Infact, I spent far too much on stuff like that this summer.

Also, I'm saving up because I want to go travelling at the end of uni.
  • Options
    double post
  • Options
    I just worked alot. Worked hard then played hard if thats how you can put it.
    i'm sure i remember you complaining alot that you had nothing to do over the summer because you was living at uni on your own..:chin:
  • Options
    Yeah but I made lots of friends where I worked.

I complained in the first couple of weeks because I did have nothing to do. All of my friends had gone home, I had no job (as I was looking for one), etc so I was going a little insane in the flat on my own as I had nothing to do whatsoever.

It took me a few weeks to find a job and when I did, it was great. I made lots of friends in my new job. I was out 2/3 times a week throughout summer once I got to know everyone. I made great friends there. Still friends with them and still go out with them all despite leaving the place a month ago. Obviously I can't go out with them as much though cuz of uni.
  • Options
    I'm not including the mortgage payment in my calculations, as that is something that would need to be paid regardless of how many people lived there.

The extra food, gas and electricity that my sister-in-law uses costs us about £50 a week, the mortgage and council tax payments are our responsibility. And as my sister-in-law doesn't eat a right lot, I would expect someone who did eat more would cost more. We're not making money out of £50 a week, so anyone who is paying less than that is living at a loss. Fine if the parents are happy to subsidise you, but its something most people don't realise.
  • Options
    it seems a bit excessive that it costs you more than £50 a week in food (especially if she doesn't eat much), gas and electric to look after her...
  • Options
    it seems a bit excessive that it costs you more than £50 a week in food (especially if she doesn't eat much), gas and electric to look after her...
    yeh when i lived at uni i used to pay about £60 every 2 or 3 months for gas and electricity!
  • Options

Our weekly Asda bill's gone up from £50 to over £80 because of the extra food, cleaning stuff, dishwasher tablets and washing powder, extra loo roll, extra kitchen roll. Our electricity and gas bill has been doubled- there's now two computers on, three (or often four) showers instead of two, two bedrooms to heat instead of one, two computers running, two TVs running, the TVs on a hell of a lot more, the dishwasher is run daily instead of twice daily, the washing machine is run daily instead of twice daily. Then there's the extra usage of the toaster, the microwave, the oven, the lights...

It does add up to about £50 a week when you factor everything in. I know our monthly expenditure has gone up by about £200.

It doesn't bother me, but when we're not making anything off £50, it goes to show that people who are paying less are being subsidised. My sister still lives at home and pays about £35 a week, and mum reckons she's losing money on that. It's how much things cost.
  • Options
    To be fair, I highly doubt any parents are expecting to profit off of their children. After all, it's been nothing but expenditure since pregnancy.

I am quite sure that a lot of parents would rather charge their children less so that they can save money to prepare to move out. My parents don't mind me staying, and they are abroad on average 3 times a year each, playing golf in their spare time between replacing random stuff in the house. With their three children mostly gone (that are earning if they stay at home) they have more income to themselves than before.

It's if the children aren't doing anything that I think it's fair for the parents to charge and try to kick their asses in gear. I fully expect my parents to find ways to encourage me doing that if I will end up moving back home without any plans to move out again. They don't mind my company, but they also want me to be independent and live on my own.

I can fully understand that parents charge their children rent, and I can see why a parent would want decent money for it. I don't think one method is better than the other. It's always going to be what suits the parents and children. Some people get off easy, others have it harder.

ETA: submitted too soon and was smoothing out some bad wording. ;)
  • Options
    I have just discovered that my ex was taking £20 a week off my 14 year old daughter from her Saturday job.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    I have just discovered that my ex was taking £20 a week off my 14 year old daughter from her Saturday job.
    Are you surprised?

Is that for the odd day she stays on access visits?
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    shit...at 14? If it is how I see it that's bang out of order.....was he saving it up for her or anything?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Are you surprised?

Is that for the odd day she stays on access visits?

Sigh. I'd like to say I'm surprised, but you know of the wankstain of old.... what do you reckon?! No, I'm not surprised by anything he does anymore. It wasn't for access visits, she was living with him.. we were estranged. She came back to live with me a week ago.

Oh, and he also told her amongst a load of other shit he spouted about me that before he met me I was a drug taking prostitute. :grump:

On the positive side.... he's getting evicted, I can't see him getting rehoused, so as it seems he'll soon be residing on a park bench I don't forsee too many access visits in the future!
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:

Is your ex her biologoical father?

Either way I'd expect most fathers to be giving their 14 years old child money each week not taking it off of them. Maybe not giving them £20 but £5 to £10 maybe (to the child).
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    shit...at 14? If it is how I see it that's bang out of order.....was he saving it up for her or anything?

Yes, you understood it correctly, no he wasn't saving it up, he doesn't know the meaning of the word! He probably used it to buy more drugs. :rolleyes: