Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Guys: how would you let someone down gently?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey guys, im really hoping you can help me here.
im wondering, how would you guys react if you found out that someone very close to you had strong feelings for you, but you didnt/couldnt feel the same way about them?
Would you feel wierd being around them (especially if they made it clear that if you werent interested, then they didnt want things to be wierd.)? would you try to act as normal+not let it affect the friendship?
Also guys, what are the 'unwritten rules' on doing stuff with a friends ex?
thank you, i lok forward to your replies!

Comments

• Options
    Just be honest with the person... there is no point in pussy footing around otherwise they might get the wrong message. But obviously try and do it in the nicest most tactful way!

In terms of mates ex's... personally I couldnt do it!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    im wondering, how would you guys react if you found out that someone very close to you had strong feelings for you, but you didnt/couldnt feel the same way about them?

Hi there, the fact that you say 'letting them down gently' is a good start as it shows a mature and positive approach to relationships. You may find this article on how to reject someone helpful. I think it's natural to feel slightly weird, but it's worth making an effort to maintain the friendship if they say they don't want it to affect the two of you. (and it's a friendship you really value.) It sounds like they just need to know where they stand so they can move on if you're not interested. Good luck :)
  • Options
    Definately be honest, if you could never feel like that then the other person im sure would ajust and understand. Being so close you will probably know any way.

Friends Ex, my (ex) best mate went out with one of my ex's. She was still a little hung up on me....now the "best mate" and i dont speak...in fact our whole group dont.

Its not a good idea tbh.

If in doubt leave it out !
  • Options
    just ignore them till they go away....ha

just kidding, altho it has worked in the past.

just be honest, its the only way
  • Options
    cheers guys. i know i wasnt very clear, but the reason im asking is because IM the one with the feelings+i just wana kind of prepare myself for IF they ever find out (hopefully they wont, but when i get drunk i say some rubbish), and im kind of hoping IF they do find out, il be able to save our friendship :(
  • Options
    TBH, if you are "that" close then he will already know.

Can you tell us why nothing can ever happen ? or do i need to re-read the original post :rolleyes:

edit : Just re-read it, there is no specific reason, just the fact you are scared of how they may react. As i said b4 he probably knows you like him. Being a bloke he may just be a little to dumb to act on it.

Id go for it! You will only regret it if you dont, and if you do go for it and he says no. Then at least you will stop all these "what ifs"
  • Options
    .:confused:
  • Options
    sorry, i can see ive confused quite a few. was kinda asking the question from a different angle. phoenix, its also to do with the fact that he's my exes close mate+that changes everything.
    i kind of want to tell him (or for someone else to tell him+gauge his reaction) so he can reject me+i can move on knowing nothing can happen+get over it.
  • Options
    PM sent :)
  • Options
    thank you phoennix :)
  • Options
    thank you phoennix :)

Always a chore...never a pleasure...or something ;)
  • Options
    hey guys, im really hoping you can help me here.
    Would you feel wierd being around them (especially if they made it clear that if you werent interested, then they didnt want things to be wierd.)? would you try to act as normal+not let it affect the friendship?

If a girl likes you and you don't reciprocate the feelings have a heart to heart with her and tell her in a serious, not pissed off, or condescending tone that you are not interested, but you would like to be friends with that person.

If you are polite, don't hug/kiss etc. with other people around her.

A friends ex is properly available on the market again. Except the ex is a friend of yours and he wants her back, then it's a bit difficult.
  • Options
    COLOR="Pink"]
    hummm thats a hard one :chin:
    i think that it all depends on who that person is
    if it was like your best friend then i would say dont ruin the friendship you have as it could go all wrong and the friendship may suffer but if it was like your best mates brother i say go for it hehehe
    the unwritten rules about friends ex's differs from everyone. i would be very annoyed at my friend if she did that but if she came to be and asked me about it i think id feel less like i wanted to rip her head off and more accepting.
    hope this helps with your problems :angel:
    x
    x
    x
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
  • Options
    It's a tough situation. What i would think is that there's no point in being with her out of pity - definately not. I'd be as empathetic and kind as possible, explaining my feelings. I wouldn't say the 'friends' though, as that would be quite awkward for me and especially her.
  • Options
    Just be honest about it. And if they say that they're not interested in you, just leave it at that. I made the mistake of not doing that and found being around him was really awkward. (His reaction didn't help)
  • Options
    cheers guys. goin out with my mate in a few w/ends,so if i can get him to come along, il tel him then. just gotta prepare myself for the rejection now!
  • Options
    cheers guys. goin out with my mate in a few w/ends,so if i can get him to come along, il tel him then. just gotta prepare myself for the rejection now!

if he does then meh. It wasnt ment to be, as hard as it sounds.
  • Options
    i know, but still i dont think it'll be easy! is it really cowardly of me to want my mate to ask him if anything could ever happen between us? wen we're both drunk i may ask her to ask him, lol
  • Options

Get your friend's permission if it was fairly recent.