Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

murder of Joe

2»

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    That all of you are selectively ignoring the murderers mental state at the time of the crime. It was pointed out by me, but i decided that you could do with actually reading it, instead of rehashing hear-say like you have been.
    so your point is a point i mentioned in my original post? look at everyone'e replies before you start making out people dont know the whole story.
    The problem with current stories is that each section of the media word things in different ways. A story in the sun will be different to what is in the Telegraph, however it doesnt mean that people havent actually read the story.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    squeal wrote:
    Have you not just contradicted yourself?

Nope.

The victim's social status and attractiveness should not determine the sentence, but it seems that people only care because he was such a nice attractive happy boy. The media certainly only care when that's the case, and we're only talking about this particular murder because it was in all the papers.
    Bunny_O_ wrote:
    In fact I'd say if either of them got 'preferential' treatment by the media it was Anthony and his family.

:confused:

But again he was a nice black boy- studious, good-looking, never in trouble, murdered by ASBO kids. But most of the coverage still was based on the fact the brother of a top football player was the killer, wasn't it.

It's hard to draw examples from the media because it isn't that the media negatively report against certain victims, its that they don't report the victims at all.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    This boy was good-looking, middle-class, white, and had an illness that gains sympathy from all. So people get more angry, hang the bastard. If he'd been a little ASBO thug nobody would have batted an eyelid.
    i still think that statement is far too sweeping. what about how exceptional the story is? how this little boy got murdered by another child who had actually used a fake letter to lure him to his house? thats what made me sit up and listen to the news story way before seeing a photo of joe. infact i didn't even know about his illness until today.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i still think that statement is far too sweeping. what about how exceptional the story is? how this little boy got murdered by another child who had actually used a fake letter to lure him to his house? thats what made me sit up and listen to the news story way before seeing a photo of joe. infact i didn't even know about his illness until today.

I agree. I had the news on in the background and the facts of the case are what caught my attention.

I also agree with what you are saying to an extent, it does make you feel more sympathetic and think aww poor kid he's cute.

If it was a rough looking chav it wouldn't bother me as much, but that is all down to stereotypes, your first thought might be scumbag, but if you think about it, people that look like trouble makers, inside could be good people, it's what's on the inside that counts not what you see on the surface.
    Generally your point is true but for others such as me and lipsy we can see it from a different point of view, however yours is still valid.

Not sure if that makes any sense i get muddled up with these kinda debates :razz:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    That all of you are selectively ignoring the murderers mental state at the time of the crime. It was pointed out by me, but i decided that you could do with actually reading it, instead of rehashing hear-say like you have been.

think you need to take more time to read other peoples posts before jumping the gun and automatically think you are more level headed than anyone else.

i think for once people were actually pretty sensible in this thread rather than he usual "should hang him" "send him away for life" "fucking scumbag, die die die" etc...

certainly a lot better than the recent paedo thread we had.

i personally think this story probably would have made the news however he looked as its a bit of a wacky one.

People forget there are hundreds of murders a year, male, female, children, babies etc... a lot dont get any coverage at all. doesnt make any of them any less serious etc...

the press only pick up the stories they know will prompt a reaction.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    so your point is a point i mentioned in my original post? look at everyone'e replies before you start making out people dont know the whole story.
    The problem with current stories is that each section of the media word things in different ways. A story in the sun will be different to what is in the Telegraph, however it doesnt mean that people havent actually read the story.
    Not you didn't you said firstly "if" and the rest of your post was wrong. And sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not actually only addressing you.

Koe - Yeah, it might have been better than some threads, doesn't change anything about people saying whatever they felt like, and the usual skipping of a link to the story. So what if it was originally anything goes, no-one actually stated any facts until my first comment, then felt compelled to link to the story because it didn't seem to be making any difference. It aggravates me when people get judgemental when they're in no place to comment.
  • Options
    oh come off it, surely discussion is based on peoples interpretation of facts and the way they believe/understand it.

bloody hell, you'll be promoting communism or something next.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Not you didn't you said firstly "if" and the rest of your post was wrong. And sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not actually only addressing you.
    well that was how it was implied.
    You dont know the full detail to his mental problems and as kermit said it is hard to prove insanity against a murder charge. Therefore 'if' is the correct statement.
    Kermit wrote:
    But again he was a nice black boy- studious, good-looking, never in trouble, murdered by ASBO kids.

Sorry for the confusion love , it meant it in response to Budda's comment rather than your view Kermit. I agree, people do seem to respond in a different manner as he is a cute-looking, young lad. And I have noticed the media to keep mentioning the fact that he has Cystic Fibrosis, and as far as I am aware, this in no way had anything to do with the murder itself.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    oh come off it, surely discussion is based on peoples interpretation of facts and the way they believe/understand it.

bloody hell, you'll be promoting communism or something next.
    If people were posting as if they'd read the facts for themselves then fine. Obviously some people think that a mentally unstable young teenage boy with a sketchy family background should go to prison for the rest of his life, despite pleading guilty. If they'd bothered to read about his mental issues and his family and that he pleaded guilty, then that's their opinion. I think they're wrong, but they can hold it if they so wish.

What I don't like is people saying whatever they like without bothering to find out what happened. As kermit has said more times than we can count we don't know a fraction of what the judge and the jury knew when they were in court. So we can't exactly be informed even when we can be bothered to read what's available, the least people could do is do that though.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    If people were posting as if they'd read the facts for themselves then fine. Obviously some people think that a mentally unstable young teenage boy with a sketchy family background should go to prison for the rest of his life, despite pleading guilty. If they'd bothered to read about his mental issues and his family and that he pleaded guilty, then that's their opinion. I think they're wrong, but they can hold it if they so wish.

What I don't like is people saying whatever they like without bothering to find out what happened. As kermit has said more times than we can count we don't know a fraction of what the judge and the jury knew when they were in court. So we can't exactly be informed even when we can be bothered to read what's available, the least people could do is do that though.
    Im sure nobody was blindly posting on here, with absolutely no idea of the facts. Just because we all havent researched the ins and outs of the situation and done a 4,000 word report on it, doesnt mean our opinions are of any less value.
    I had heard the report on the news, and read about it in the paper. I personally think that is sufficient 'finding out'.

The public will probably never find out the whole story, so all we can do is comment on the parts we know about, which is what was happening here.

Everyone is entitled to their views and opinions, just keep that in mind next time.
  • Options
    i think that with regards to the actual crime itself- its obviously sick and disgusting and i was very upset reading the bbc article.. when you look at the pictures and read the story your heart goes out to the victim.

but concerning Hamer, he is obviously mentally derranged- he admitted to the crime, to which there was a huge amount of evidence pointing anyway.. but as some people have said on here i DONT think its right to cry out 'hang the bastard'- nor do i think its right to just lock him up.
    he needs psychiatric help. no sane person would do that to anyone. about the whole sentencing, i think that that could only really be decided after he has been mentally diagnosed.

with regards to how certain murders are treated in the news-
    the media LOVE to sensasionalise a story- thats their job, to sell stories. which is why the joe-murder concerns lots of facts which arent really relevant, such as the boy's illness. looking at the pictures, people go 'awww' and on hearing about the illness they go 'awww' some more. i know i did. its as some people correctly said- although it SHOULDNT be the case and some people wont like to admit it, a pretty victim story sells more than an ugly victim story.

im not sure about class/colour etc, and the medias treatment of these different socialities. i think its all about what slant the paper or tv company want to put on it. if they get a story about a little black boy who got murdered and they want it to sell bigtime then theyll sensationalise it and add in extra little facts to make it seem larger than life.
  • Options
    on photogenics... this is just local news, as I have signed up to via the bbc
  • Options
    it seems there's two different debates taking place here (which is fine, they are both related) -

One about the media's coverage of different crimes
    One about the sentencing in the case

I think the media's coverage of different crimes will always be related to factors that sell papers. Newspapers aren't altruistic, nor are journalists, and they are businesses, they aim to sell papers, not provide an impartial view of current events. Because of that certain things will be focused on and other things will be ignored. (not that this is right)

As to sentencing, I think this case highlights how utterly important it is that the judiciary remains independant of public pressure. That's always hard to argue for when there seems to be a bad decisions, but in practice no matter how many people or papers call for someone to be strung up, the judiciary should simply continue to act within the law.

Recent years seem to see an increasing number of politicans (from local government ministers to home secretaries) stepping into debates about sentences; papers demanding new laws or naming and shaming judges based on interpretations of verdicts; public displays about laws or particular defendants being taken much more seriously than before.

All of this could be seen, and is certainly presented as this by many media outlets or campaigners (such as the news of the world during peadophile scares), as improving the 'democracy' in the legal system. But ultimately it's just going to lead towards a mob law, where hundreds of years of precidence (right to trial, silence, etc) get thrown away in hurried adjustments to the legal system.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the media doesn't influence sentencing then things carry on as they did in the past (to a degree) but if they gain an influence over the judicary then we risk a situation where the amount of media coverage a particular victim recieves will have a dramatic affect on the final verdict.

Then you don't have democracy or law, you just have witch hunts and mob rule
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i still think that statement is far too sweeping. what about how exceptional the story is?

The story isn't all that exceptional, its a little unusual but only because of the age of the defendant.

But if the victim had been a hoody-wearing ASBO lout the story would never have reached the papers- it'd have been filed away under "drug gang" and "got what was coming to him" and ignored.

The media report what is interesting, that's their job. Which is how one defendant I worked with went from being an amateur snooker player in his youth to "international snooker star" in the papers.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Supprised the were allowed to name him - often anone under 18 isn't named if they are getting back out. :/

He should get life in an assylum, HOWEVER, the idiots in power seem to think doing away with them and using care in the community would work (which it isn't doing to well. Oh well, cost cutting forces this.)

He is obviously rather a disturbed young lad... needs mental care, sharpish.
  • Options
    Yougn defendants can be named if it is in the public interest, and he has been named, just as Thompson, Venables and Bell were named. If they are given a new identity that cannot be revealed.

Care in the Community does work, providing it is funded properly. The problem is that it rarely is.