Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Favourite Soup

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    StrubbleS wrote:
    pic1: Leberknödel-soup. (even the page where I found the pic is named "food-from-bavaria.com :P)

pic2: Frittaten-soup. It's the same dough as pancakes, only thinner (like 3 millimeters), and cut in little stripes.

Had both of those while I was staying in Seefeld in the Austrian Tirol and Schwangau, Bavaria for about half a year and yes they are delicious!
  • Options
    Knorr used to do these 'Soups from around the world' and there was an Austrian herb soup that was really rather tasty :yum:
  • Options
    Carrot, coconut and ginger, as made by the little cafe right outside my work.

Leek and potato made by my wife.

Goulaschsuppe made by, well, anyone.
  • Options
    My grandma and now my brother make the most amazing soup and I've never taste soup that tastes as gorgeous as that ever in my life.
  • Options
    Vegetable soup. I drink it cold, out of the can. Have 4 or 5 of them a week normally :).
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Oxtail is good. :yum: Used to take in a flask when I went beating.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    My grandma and now my brother make the most amazing soup and I've never taste soup that tastes as gorgeous as that ever in my life.

that's a bit of a mouthful...
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote:
    StrubbleS wrote:
    pic1: Leberknödel-soup. (even the page where I found the pic is named "food-from-bavaria.com :P)

pic2: Frittaten-soup. It's the same dough as pancakes, only thinner (like 3 millimeters), and cut in little stripes.

Had both of those while I was staying in Seefeld in the Austrian Tirol and Schwangau, Bavaria for about half a year and yes they are delicious!
    :yum:
  • Options
    Think i might have soup for lunch today. It's a 'soupy' kinda day. Now off to Deliaonline to find a mushroom soup recipe :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Think i might have soup for lunch today. It's a 'soupy' kinda day. Now off to Deliaonline to find a mushroom soup recipe :)

If you find a good one that looks nice when its finished report back with a recipe/link. My Mushroom soup tastes fab but looks like pond water, so I can never make it when I have people round as it gets funny looks :(
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    RubberSkin wrote:

I heard Liberty Caps are good mushrooms for cooking this time of year! ;)
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Vegetable soup. I drink it cold, out of the can. Have 4 or 5 of them a week normally :).

:yuck:

I'm liking all this talk of mushroom soup :yum:
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I heard Liberty Caps are good mushrooms for cooking this time of year! ;)
    naughty naughty ;)
  • Options
    If you find a good one that looks nice when its finished report back with a recipe/link.

Found a fair few at deliaonline and BBC but there wasnt one recipe for which i had all the ingredients, so made me own up.

Hearty mushroom soup with herby cretins ( croutons :) )

For the soup -

1 lb mushrooms
    3/4 pint stock (chicken or veg)
    2-3 cloves garlic
    Butter or oil
    4 fl oz cream (double or single)

For the cretins -

3 slices of slightly stale bread
    Olive oil
    Mixed herbs, or any herb you're particularly fond of.

SOUP

Slice/crush the garlic.
    Chop 9oz of mushrooms
    Sautee both in oil until softend
    Add stock, bring to a simmer and simmer for 6 minutes.

While that's simmering, finely chop the remaining 7oz of mushrooms (or cut chunky if you like a chunky soup) and sautee in butter till softened.

Put the stock/garlic/mushroom mix through a blender/food processor and whizz till nice and smooth. Return this to the pan, add cream and the other sauteed mushrooms and GENTLY re-heat. Gentle or the cream will curdle. Add salt and pepper to taste.

CRETINS

Cut bread into approx. 1cm cubes. Do each slice individually or they'll squash together and not be very cube shaped. Toss in enough olive oil to generously coat the bread, but not leave it saturated. Sprinkle in as much herb/herbs as you like. Mix until bread is well coated with herbs.

Spread out on a baking sheet and cook in an oven 210c/gas 7 until well browned, 7-10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly so they get crunchier.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

For the cretins -

:eek2: Pardon??
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    :yuck:

It's surprisingly good. Handy if you're late and need something more than toast :). But I do accept I'm weird, I often sit eating raw mushrooms...
  • Options
    Leek and Potato or Asparagus :yum:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Goulaschsuppe made by, well, anyone.

THAT! In austria you have Gulaschsuppe for new years eve.
    I love it. The best thing to eat to warm up after you've been outside on a cold winter evening.

I usually make the meat much much smaller so, it already kinda falls apart when graced by your jaw and make more potatoes (and cut them smaller as well).

so good.