Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Books

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just bought No Logo by Naomi Klein, because it's supposed to be pretty good. Anyway, what social, political, current affairs, I don't know the official term for this genre, books do you recommend? Any books out there that have given you a great insight into any particular political or social issue?

In Waterstones they're under current affairs, so I guess I'll go for that one. What current affairs books have you read and could recommend (oh and what are they about, while you're at it).

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford

It's very good, he has much experience working in world economics and stuff and writes for the FT and the Economist as well. V good book.
    I would recomend: Jagdish Bhagwati: 'In defence of Globalisation'

Paul Krugman: 'Pop Internationalism'

No Logo is Bollocks, Read Bhagwati and you will see that.........
    Steve Bruce - The Red Hand, on Loyalist Terrorist in Northern Ireland (albeit from the early 90s). Not only is he in a minority of academics who actually bothered to look at loyalism, but he is probably the most realistic writer on terrorism there is. he's one of the few (if not the only) who admits that the terrorists he talked too are only telling him what they want him too hear and that much of what he says is little more than guesswork. Points to ponder whenever you read any book on terrorism and intelligence which claims to discover the truth.

John Keegan - Intelligence in War. strictly speaking more history than current affairs, but it explains the difficulties of 'seeing over the other side of hill' especially when the enemy is trying to stop you doing the same. It gives you an insight into the difficulties we have today and reinforces my cyncism of todays journalists and analysts who muddle hindsight with knowledge at the time.
    http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/317883/Intelligence_in_Warfare/Product.html
    Francis Wheen - Marx's Das Kapital: A biography
    A historical overview of Capital, its conception, impact and relevance today

John Pilger - The New Rulers of the World
    A collection of essays

Harry Cleaver - Reading Capital Politically
    An analysis of the first two chapters of Marx's Capital. A little difficult in places, but very interesting

E P Thompson - The Making of the English Working Class
    Haven't read this yet, its next on my list. A classic history of the beginnings of industrial capitalism and the fight for better wages and conditions.

Robert Paxton - The Anatomy of Fascism
    One of the best books on the subject

Anthony Beevor - The Spanish Civil War
    A good history of this interesting and important period of history

I also like popular culture history, they give a good overview of how we got the cultural landscape we have today

Lloyd Bradley - Bass Culture
    A history of reggae. Lots of stuff about Jamaica, colonialism, racism etc

Jon Savage - England's Dreaming: Sex Pistols and punk rock
    A brilliant cultural history of the UK in the 70's
    Blagsta wrote:
    Francis Wheen - Marx's Das Kapital: A biography
    A historical overview of Capital, its conception, impact and relevance today

John Pilger - The New Rulers of the World
    A collection of essays

Harry Cleaver - Reading Capital Politically
    An analysis of the first two chapters of Marx's Capital. A little difficult in places, but very interesting

E P Thompson - The Making of the English Working Class
    Haven't read this yet, its next on my list. A classic history of the beginnings of industrial capitalism and the fight for better wages and conditions.

Robert Paxton - The Anatomy of Fascism
    One of the best books on the subject

Anthony Beevor - The Spanish Civil War
    A good history of this interesting and important period of history

I also like popular culture history, they give a good overview of how we got the cultural landscape we have today

Lloyd Bradley - Bass Culture
    A history of reggae. Lots of stuff about Jamaica, colonialism, racism etc

Jon Savage - England's Dreaming: Sex Pistols and punk rock
    A brilliant cultural history of the UK in the 70's

interesting selection, pinko!
    Through the Looking Glass by Liz Davies - a very interesting critique of New Labour and the sycophantic scum running the trade unions by a proper Old Labour hardnut.
    Alexis de Tocqueville - Democracy In America

Said by many to be the best book on the nature of democracy. It's one of my favourite books...So many of Tocqueville's observations are still valid, it really does make excellent reading.

Margaret Thatcher - Statecraft

Excellent discussion of the state of the world at the start of the 21st century. Wise words on North Korea, Islamism and the EU.

Robert Kagan - Paradise & Power: America & Europe in the New World Order

Very sensible evaluation of the differences between Europe and America and the need to establish greater common ground.

Melanie Phillips - Londonistan: How Britain Is Creating a Terror State Within and Michael Gove - Celsius 7/7: not got around to reading either of these yet but I definitely intend to read both shortly given their relevance to ongoing events.
    Trust you to recommend that nutter Melanie Phillips. The woman is truly barking mad.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Trust you to recommend that nutter Melanie Phillips. The woman is truly barking mad.

Meh, I'd say John Pilger is a bit of a fruitcake...I don't always agree with Phillips but she speaks a lot of sense on her blog.
    Oh dis, you are funny. :D
    Blagsta wrote:
    Oh dis, you are funny. :D

If you read some Melanie Phillips I promise to read some John Pilger.
    Toadborg wrote:
    No Logo is Bollocks, Read Bhagwati and you will see that.........

If you're going to write a book off, then at least give justification for it. Citing another book isn't enough.

The Creature from Jekyll Island : A Second Look at the Federal Reserve - An excellent book on current economies.
    If you're going to write a book off, then at least give justification for it. Citing another book isn't enough.

No Logo is a dull read, it's the same old worn-out populist anti-globalisation line.

It's comfort food for adherents, conversion material for mere sympathisers and little for the rest of us.
    No Logo is a dull read, it's the same old worn-out populist anti-globalisation line.

It's comfort food for adherents, conversion material for mere sympathisers and little for the rest of us.

I haven't read it myself.

I'd like to read a critical analysis of how much shite is attempted to be fed to the public via the idiot box; does anyone have any suggestions?
    Janet and John go to parliament :D
    Melanie Phillips - Londonistan: How Britain Is Creating a Terror State Within.
    I did see that on Amazon, and I've gotta say I was slightly put off by the nutters giving it positive reviews. I can't comment on the book itself, but it did seem an excuse for a load of people to do the usual "Islam is destroying our way of life" line. I imagine the actual book is a bit better than that.
    If you read some Melanie Phillips I promise to read some John Pilger.

I've read her ramblings about cannabis before. She gets so many facts wrong, its laughable. The woman is clearly a loon. I don't need to read any more thanks.
    No logo was alright a bit waffley and I couldn’t read it all Id already heard most (if not all of the points) it was making.

Melanie Phillips is a bit mad especially her Global warming denial that’s just dangerous and stupid. I mean she appears on Fox news!

Pilger is a bit far out he tends to think of everything as one big conspiracy, he’s defiantly more than a little paranoid. Although he has defiantly done some good work.

Al Frankin “Lies and the lying liars” is a good laugh so it “the truth with Jokes”

Watch google video “free to Choose” by Milton Friedman, he comes across as much less right wing than Id thought, everything he says is true he just doesn’t tell the other truths, however it is in 10 1 hour parts so only watch it if your sad like me.

Small is beautiful by E F Schumacher, is very good environmental book from 1973.

Or failing that any pinko lefty commie sandal wearing, large book printed on recycled paper will do
    someone from here - littlemissy i think recomended Arthur Schropenhauer's The Art of Always Being Right - 38 ways to win when you are defeated. i brought 2 hardbacks just on the strength of the title 1 for me and 1 for mum.