Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lorry Drivers!

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I am going to have a rant, and I apologise in advance!

Could someone please explain to me why some lorries insist on flashing me when I am driving down the motorway?
I assume it is their way of telling me to move into the inside lane in front of them, but what bugs me is how do they know what I want to do?
a) The majority of the time there is not any point in me moving into their lane as there is not enough room between them and the vehicle in front, which would therefore just piss everyone off. If I nipped in there, I would then have to brake, and then pull back out (complete waste of time...and accident waiting to happen)
b) I am stuck behind a slower car, and am about to overtake them, so dont flash me!
c) I am speeding up (just got on motorway)

It drives me loopy. I feel they are trying to tell me how to drive, but most importantly, I am short, and everytime they flash I am blinded by their ridiculously bright lights which means I cannot therefore drive in a suitable manner as my vision is momentarily impaired!! I say momentarily, but i have pretty colours for about 5 mins afterwards.
Its hard enough as it is to see the central reservation/white lines when you are driving with no street lamps, without some fool thinking he is all high and mighty in his big lorry!
now before this starts a huge row, I am not saying this is all lorry drivers, im just saying some.
However if any lorry drivers are reading this, PLEASE think before you flash a little black corsa...as there might be a rather pissed off Emma inside it!
Don't even get me started on how they just pull out, or drive side by side for 4 miles whilst 'over taking'!
rant over, thank you very much!!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's force of habit for them to flash once somebody has overtaken them. I find it helpful sometimes.

Everything else I agree with mind:)
  • Options
    but i dont quite understand why? i suppose it would help if you were trying to go in front of them so you knew you had room therefore that would be helpful.
    i dunno, i think they should just clear the M4 and M5 for me during rush hour...i think that could be done :p
  • Options
    They flash trucks in when they pass, because trucks find it hard to see if they're clear. When I'm in the inside lane I flash trucks in that have overtaken me, its polite to. Force of habit.

You should use the bus lane;)
  • Options
    Yeah. The flashing is useful sometimes. I quite often flash people who hog the middle lane. Of course, it doesn't make them pull over but it does give me a nice sense of smug satisfaction.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They flash trucks in when they pass, because trucks find it hard to see if they're clear. When I'm in the inside lane I flash trucks in that have overtaken me, its polite to. Force of habit.

You should use the bus lane;)
    I have no manners, thats what it is! haha!

I'll definately use the bus lane and hard shoulder from now on, and when I get pulled over, Ill say that you told me to, and then have to come see you for proper advice! (not good enough to advise myself yet :p)
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Yeah. The flashing is useful sometimes. I quite often flash people who hog the middle lane. Of course, it doesn't make them pull over but it does give me a nice sense of smug satisfaction.
    yeah...id just like to point out, i really am not one of these rather irritating people who insist on driving 60mph for 60 miles in the middle lane!
    i like to shake my head at these people! :p
  • Options
    Aye, they're flashing you to let you know it's safe for you to pull back in, should you want to.

Lorry drivers are generally ok. It's the white van men that are the scourge of the motorway :grump:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    Aye, they're flashing you to let you know it's safe for you to pull back in, should you want to.
    But i dont want to :( dont pressure me kaff in your big lorry! i just dont want to :(

i find white van men are worse on normal roads. on the motorway i can put my foot down and they disappear...magic! :p
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    But i dont want to :( dont pressure me kaff in your big lorry! i just dont want to :(

You don't have to. But it'd be worse if they didn't flash and you did want to pull in, but didn't know when, then did it at the wrong time and CRASH! They are thinking of you, in their big lorries :heart:

And if I had a quid for every time a white van man has nearly killed me on the motorway by pulling into my lane without indicating or checking if there is anyone there first, well, I'd have a lot of quids.

:mad:
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    Could someone please explain to me why some lorries insist on flashing me when I am driving down the motorway?

As others have said, it's courtesy.

Unless you aren't talking about their lights...
  • Options
    As others have said, it's courtesy.

Unless you aren't talking about their lights...
    nice! i now have a rather disturbing picture involving a beer belly and a dark blue rain mac!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    yeah...id just like to point out, i really am not one of these rather irritating people who insist on driving 60mph for 60 miles in the middle lane!
    i like to shake my head at these people! :p

Doesn't matter how fast you go, there is no need to be in the middle or outside lane unless you are overtaking. It fucking pisses me off more than anything.

As for lorry drivers they're generally bloody good drivers and the flash they often give can be helpful.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've always found the vast majority(98%) of lorry drivers to be superb and totally courteous when on the motorway. Too many car drivers are shit - the amount of times I have to swing out from the left hand lane to the right hand lane to overtake some tosser in the middle lane is unbelievable. I do try to do it at great speed, and get close to their bumpers, just to attract their attention...

If you're being flashed by multiple drivers Emma, then maybe you have a problem with your lights, or car. Or, possibly, you aren't using the motorway correctly. :)
  • Options
    If you're being flashed by multiple drivers Emma, then maybe you have a problem with your lights, or car.

Or she's got big tits :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Or she's got big tits :)
    I prefer this reason! thanks rubber :thumb:
    I am a good little driver, and there is nowt wrong with my car.
    one day Rich, we will have a race. You on your pink bike, and me in my brum!
  • Options
    Can I use my proper bike? I'd whoop you with just 2nd gear ;).
  • Options
    Can I use my proper bike? I'd whoop you with just 2nd gear ;).
    only if you walk along with it rather than ride it then yeah, thats fine love!
  • Options
    not all lorry drivers are bad,

my boyfriend gets a hard deal sometimes .....he approached a bridge where only one car can go across at a time. he cant see whos coming so he beeps his horn to make drivers aware he is about to go over the bridge. the other day someone was in front and he beeped they thought he was having a go at them and went crazy waving his hands in the air ! a lot of people miss understand things....... but sometimes its not all bad!