Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Irish Names

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There aren't many people who speak it natively, that's what I mean. It's learned by a lot of people, and long may it continue, but it isn't the language of commerce or business.

Yeah, I should say that gaelic isn't one fixed language- the Gaelic spoken by the Irish is different to the Highland Scots, which is different again to that spoken by the Cornish and the Bretons.

I love the fact that bi-lingualism is rising in these provinces, its really good to see. I think its great that all the signs in Brittany are bi-lingual.
    i love niamph and eoin. im a pure english girl so will probably pick pretty english names such as katey, george and oliver for my children, but il whack in the irish middle names probably.
    husband wont get a look in haha
    Kermit wrote:
    There aren't many people who speak it natively, that's what I mean. It's learned by a lot of people, and long may it continue, but it isn't the language of commerce or business.

There are certain areas though known as Gaeltacht areas where there are native speakers. I go to work there in the summer in an Irish college for young one's. Really weird to walk into the kitchen and hear the families having a full conversation in Irish.
    Two of my best friends are brothers called Finbarr and Oisin (Osh-ing), which are nice names, but unfortunately for them, all they get called is Barney and Ozzy.
    Just a quick question. Does Turlough rhyme with Brian Clough?
    Just a quick question. Does Turlough rhyme with Brian Clough?

No, tur-lock.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Yerascrote wrote:
    No, tur-lock.

A ha - that's a revelation. Us dozy ones at TheSite towers have been saying tur-low for all these years :blush:
    **Helen** wrote:
    A ha - that's a revelation. Us dozy ones at TheSite towers have been saying tur-low for all these years :blush:
    :yes: Same here.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    **Helen** wrote:
    Better than me, I've been thinking of it like "Tur-loof" :o
    Sorry man.