Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

'Feeding kids meat is child abuse'

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You know, raising children as atheists, or muslims, or buddhists, or anything other than christians is child abuse too. :p

Why do you think that? The thing is,a child isn't old enough to make choices like that so the parents make the choices for the child.

and yeah, I do realise that was possible sarcasm
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sofie wrote:
    and yeah, I do realise that was possible sarcasm
    ;)
    surely then you cant breast feed a kid as its animal products :s
    go_away wrote:
    Do these people have any kind of idea what child abuse actually is?

Nope. And the concepts of restraint, acceptance and general reality are also alien concepts for them. Bunch of fascist twats.
    :yes: I agree on the point about diets. Vegetarians statistically live longer, have lower rates of obesity and heart problems according to various research (which I can source to any sceptics). I don't think it is child abuse though... No more than giving a 'hyper child' Ritalin is child abuse or how the schools force little kids in to doinf SATs.

anyone who controls any aspect of their diet, will eat better simply because they look at what they're eating a lot more as opposed to people who don't.... i believe thats a fact
    anyone who controls any aspect of their diet, will eat better simply because they look at what they're eating a lot more as opposed to people who don't.... i believe thats a fact
    Never thought of vegetarianism as 'controlling' a diet... Isn't any diet 'controlled'? Otherwise you'd be gnawing on the garden fence as you wouldn't be able to stop eating everything. :p

Seriously though, if you mean vegetarians eat more carefully then I'm not sure if that is true. I know a lot of meat eaters who eat a 'balanced diet' and I know a fair few veggies who happily live off chips and processed Quorn products (let's face it, processed products are full of crap, veggie or not). Things such as the lower obesity rate within vegetarians probably has more to do with the fact that a lot of meat eaters eat too much meat... Kebabs, KFC, beef burgers ect whereas veggies might chow on falafel (:yum: ) or veggie burgers after a night on the beer.

I do think being veggie is healthier though... I've never felt better and haven't been even a little bit ill in a year.
    Ballerina wrote:
    :yes: i wouldn't force my kids to be veggies because of my own personal beliefs, i'd want them to try as much stuff as possible and then let them chose for themselves.
    So it's ok to force your kids to be meat eaters because of your personal beliefs?
    Never thought of vegetarianism as 'controlling' a diet... Isn't any diet 'controlled'? Otherwise you'd be gnawing on the garden fence as you wouldn't be able to stop eating everything. :p

Seriously though, if you mean vegetarians eat more carefully then I'm not sure if that is true. I know a lot of meat eaters who eat a 'balanced diet' and I know a fair few veggies who happily live off chips and processed Quorn products (let's face it, processed products are full of crap, veggie or not). Things such as the lower obesity rate within vegetarians probably has more to do with the fact that a lot of meat eaters eat too much meat... Kebabs, KFC, beef burgers ect whereas veggies might chow on falafel (:yum: ) or veggie burgers after a night on the beer.

I do think being veggie is healthier though... I've never felt better and haven't been even a little bit ill in a year.

well i like variety in my diet personally, don't overdo anything and you'll enjoy life as well as not cutting it short, no point being alive if you're not living:thumb:

anyway i mean 'control your diet' in regards to being more picky than in just 'is it nice?'. Kind of hard to explain but do you see what i mean?

if i had a kid and they said they didnt wanna eat meat i'd be alright, but i'd make sure they ate a decent nutritional variety of foods still, and i'd try to find food they would eat that they would enjoy rather than eating for the sake of nutrition alone, which imo is the worst thing a person can do
    So it's ok to force your kids to be meat eaters because of your personal beliefs?

Who mentioned forcing kids to be veggies? You are limiting a child's experiences by restricting them to a veggie diet, the same is not true of a omnivore's diet.
    Who mentioned forcing kids to be veggies? You are limiting a child's experiences by restricting them to a veggie diet, the same is not true of a omnivore's diet.
    Ahh misinterpretted the post.. sorry.
    :yes: I agree on the point about diets. Vegetarians statistically live longer, have lower rates of obesity and heart problems according to various research (which I can source to any sceptics).

Correlation is not causation, does the research do anything to prove causation through controlling for other factors it does it just chart correlations?
    Toadborg wrote:
    Correlation is not causation, does the research do anything to prove causation through controlling for other factors it does it just chart correlations?
    Good point.
    Cheers.

What I was thinking of in particular was that in my personal experience (though i have no idea if this is more widely true) it is the middle classes who are more likely to be veggies.

Seeing as income is positively correlated with health the findings you mention may simply reflect this fact rather than vegatarianism as the actual cause of the greater health..........
    I also suspect people who eat Vegetarian because of percieved health benefits are likely to do that with the rest of their food - they're more likely to go for low fat milk, margarine over butter, eat less salt etc.
    Not always though. I know a fair amount of veggies who stuff their face with full fat cheese or soggy chips from the local chippie just as often as meat eaters go for burgers or kebabs..
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not always though. I know a fair amount of veggies who stuff their face with full fat cheese or soggy chips from the local chippie just as often as meat eaters go for burgers or kebabs..
    :yes: Pizza seems to be a popular choice with most of my veggie friends.
    The thing i don't understand about vegetarianism is where's the meat?