Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

poor NMM

is in hospital with glandular fever and a quinsy :(
poor love has been ill for over a week with it getting worse and worse and being unable to even swallow saliva or talk properly. The doc last week said it was flu and gave antibiotics, but no effect. Hopefully will be home tommorow or the next day when theyve managed to operate on his tonsil :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh no :(

Get well soon NMM.
  • Options
    :( hope he gets well soon.

What's a quinsy?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Poor him, I hope it doesn't take too long to get better.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:

What's a quinsy?

Was gonna ask the same thing.
    Hope hes ok.
  • Options
    its a painful abscess between the tonsil and back of the throat. they tried to aspirate it but couldnt, so will probably have to do an incision tommorow instead. :( :yuck:
  • Options
    The 'good' thing about abscesses is once they've been drained they're gone so he should feel loads better from that point of view really quickly!

My sympathy goes out to anyone with an abscess, they really really really hurt and make death seem like a tempting option.
  • Options
    The 'good' thing about abscesses is once they've been drained they're gone so he should feel loads better from that point of view really quickly!

My sympathy goes out to anyone with an abscess, they really really really hurt and make death seem like a tempting option.
    I think hed be able to relate to that. He was begging the nurses to just put him to sleep, but they kept him without painkillers for HOURS. I guess its his own fault for needing the NHS at the weekend.
    The doctor did say that it would feel better once they aspirated it, but because he was so dehydrated from barely eating or drinking the last few days, it was impossible. She gave it a few stabs though, which looked like torture. Hopefully it will be easier tommorow after a night of IV fluids and antibiotics.
  • Options
    Have you had Glandular Fever before Abbie? That'd be the last thing you'd want to catch just now with junior on board.
  • Options
    Good god, that sounds horrific. Poor love.

I always think things are 100 times worse when they're in your mouth/throat/head, so I'm getting a bit :nervous: just imagining it. Hope he gets it all sorted soon.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    Have you had Glandular Fever before Abbie? That'd be the last thing you'd want to catch just now with junior on board.
    i am a bit petrified of catching it, so ill probably just go to the doctor at the first sign of any symptoms. I had a look on the net, and it doesnt seem to be harmful for baby, but I cant imagine it will make me feel very good.
    Apparently a lot of people have it very mildly and then dont get it again, and usually my immune system is pretty good.
    I felt really rough the other day but am ok again now. Hopefully that was my version of it. Lenny also had a high temperature last week and had a day off school but was ok after that.
    Will just have to wait and see if we get anything more than that.
  • Options
    IV Fluids and antibiotics will do the world of good, I landed myself in hospial with an abscess elsewhere and it was hell, but pass on from me that it will get loads better once it all starts working. By Tuesday he'll feel loads better.
  • Options
    Hope you don't get it too. I've had it and wouldn't wish it on my enemys :(
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've said before those French carry diseases :p

Hope hes better soon!
  • Options
    Aww that's awful I hope he gets better soon.
  • Options
    Hope hes better soon, and hopefully you and lenny wont get it either. He should be feeling better once he gets some fluids and antibiotics into him. I was crying with the pain at times when I had my wisdom teeth out and that was when I was taking codine, so I can imagine how painful it is.
  • Options
    i had glandular fever around 4 years ago now, i got it really bad and found it really hard and painful to swallow. they were going to put me in hospital but my mum's a nurse so they figured she'd know how to look after me.

hope he's feeling better soon. x
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hope he gets well soon... give him my wishes!

Hope he gets some nice painkillers too! Glandular fever must be awful.
  • Options
    Oh god the poor love... I was hospitalized with glandular fever about 18 months ago now. It sucks it really does. It gets bandied about too much these days, one girl got sent home from college one afternoon and when she came in the next morning (we're talking a little over 17 hours or so) she claimed she'd had glandular fever but it'd cleared up now. I nearly wet myself laughing but she wouldn't have it that it was probably a cold.

Hope he's feeling better soon, and that the nurses are pouring those painkillers down his neck :( xx
  • Options
    theyre bloody not, the incompetant bastards. I just spoke to him on the phone, he asked for more painkillers hours ago, before it got too bad again, and theyve only just given them to him now, after hes been crying in his bed with the pain. over 7 hours since his last dose. Whats the bloody point of being in hospital if they wont even dose him up when he needs it? I wish I was there with him.
  • Options
    Oh babe :( I really would watch yourself though, I can't imagine having glandular fever while being pregnant would be nice, as mentioned above. Keep moaning at them until they give him regular doses, unfortunetly, my family has learnt the hard way that hospitals are often their to be argued with! :(
  • Options
    One of my friends sister is in hospital with it atm, they said it's the worst case they've ever seen, her face is swollen and they won't take her tonsils out!

I've had 'boarder line' glandular fever, which i think was basically a very mild form. Still made me really weak and prone to everything for a long time though. My immune system has never been the same since.
  • Options
    Hospitals aren't always that great at stuff like pain killers, I learnt I had to fight for them. Be very blunt about the pain I was (ie complain all the time) say yes to everything, give it an hour to work and if it hadn't ask again. If you speak to him again tell him to get onto that buzzer, lots, and lots.
  • Options
    :( Hope he feels better soon!!
  • Options
    Fuck hope he's better now. I had that glandular fever once, very hard to swallow and just a general pain in the ass.
  • Options
    hes a lot better this afternoon. they aspirated 7ml of pus from his tonsil, which is pretty grim. Apparently its not the record though. Hopefully will be home tommorow.
  • Options
    Gross. Why do I always read this thread when I'm eating?

Anyhoo, glad to hear he's on the mend. :)
  • Options
    lol, sorry about that.
  • Options
    lol, sorry about that.

It's my own fault! I knew what it was about, after the first time, anyway!

Fear not, my dinner is still down :)

Did you get his pain relief deal sorted?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    ahh i am glad he is feeling better, still not nice for him, the poor lamb.
    send him my love, and let him know im sending him happy, pain - free thoughts!
    xxx
  • Options
    Hope he gets well soon.