Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The lunch police banish a 10 year old

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6049790.stm
A school has defended its decision to take a child out of the dining hall because his packed lunch was deemed to have broken healthy eating guidelines.
Ryan Stupples, 10, from Maidstone in Kent, ate his lunch "outside the hall with supervision" at Lunsford Primary School in Larkfield.

The school said the lunch had cheese biscuits, a cake and a fromage frais yoghurt - one more snack than allowed.

Ryan said he had felt upset and frightened and feared he was "going to be suspended".

Anybody thick enough to think this kind of food fascism is going to promote healthy eating and cut child obesity should be sacked. Disgusting.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I said it earlier, this country just gets fucking stupider every day.
    I have nothing useful to contribute, but all I can say is what the fuck is the world coming to? Maybe if he'd had like 8 chocolate bars and a all day breakfast in his lunch box I'd see the point of singling him out.
    That's not all - his parents will probably sue the school :rolleyes:
    I think the school have embarrassed themselves enough too, tbh.
    isnt fromage frais good for you? protein and low in fat?
    What right do schools have to do that anyway!?
    Sure i totally agree that kids should be eating healthier than they currently are but at the end of the day it should be the parents choice what to feed their kids.
    I agree with the school trying to promote healthy eating. However this case just seems over the top.

What is this world coming to. We seem to have lost ability to use our common sense in this country.

I think as a country we all just need to chill out a little and not take things so serious :D

:thumb:
    That's stupid.

I remember at my primary school we weren't allowed chocolate bars such as Twixes and Mars Bars in our packed lunch boxes but apparently penguin bars were okay. Lame.
    kangoo wrote:

lots and lots of sugar though

at primary school I was an anarchist. We weren't allowed in at lunchtime so we used to get one of us to climb in through the little window and open the door. Then when a teacher came to get us everyone hid :D it was fantastic...

:( Oh to be young again....
    Really stupid thing. Some people don't appear capable of doing things by half measures apparently.

Counterproductive as well. Such incidents are unlikely gain much support amongst parents for healthier eating.
    BBC wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6049790.stm

A school has defended its decision to take a child out of the dining hall because his packed lunch was deemed to have broken healthy eating guidelines.

:lol:
    Rachael wrote:
    That's stupid.

I remember at my primary school we weren't allowed chocolate bars such as Twixes and Mars Bars in our packed lunch boxes but apparently penguin bars were okay. Lame.

Penguins are clearly superior to Twixes.
    kangoo wrote:

This is the point I'm trying to make in the other thread, it isn't easy to define "healthy" food because the manufacturers don't emphasise all of the ingredients, only the parts which they think will encourage you to buy it. For example how many times have you seen "95% fat free"? That means that 5% is fat and therefore not as good as advertised.

In the case of fromage frais, I suggest that you look at the list of ingredients next time you pick one up.
    This is the point I'm trying to make in the other thread, it isn't easy to define "healthy" food because the manufacturers don't emphasise all of the ingredients, only the parts which they think will encourage you to buy it. For example how many times have you seen "95% fat free"? That means that 5% is fat and therefore not as good as advertised.
    It's actually exactly as good as advertised.
    It's actually exactly as good as advertised.

Sorry, you are right of course.

It's more that the implied message is that it is good for you, when the reality could be completely different.
    Sorry, you are right of course.

It's more that the implied message is that it is good for you, when the reality could be completely different.
    Yeah, but if you can't do the maths yourself, you deserve to die young in my opinion. I can't remember who it was that was shocked when I told them that their 85% fat free snack was 15% fat. They don't do the 85% ones so much nowadays.
    I can't remember who it was that was shocked when I told them that their 85% fat free snack was 15% fat.

:lol: God people are dim. I had to explain something similar to a friend a few weeks back, who was eating something with "x% fat free" that it didn't mean there was no fat in it. She still doesn't believe me.
    Yeah, but if you can't do the maths yourself

It's not a case of doing the maths but more of understanding the other side of the message.
    It's not a case of doing the maths but more of understanding the other side of the message.

That's exactly it.

Advertisers do it deliberately to make sure large amounts of people do as the advertisers want them to- that is why large companies spend such a large amount of money on advertising each year. It isn't "stupid" to be confused or duped by their messages, because their messages are carefully designed to confuse and dupe people.

As for the original story, I can't say as though I am surprised. This is exactly what this country is like, and this is exactly the point Boris Johnson was vilified for making.

As for the school being sued, they bloody well should have to cough up compo for this. The teaching and catering staff responsible should be dismissed immediately.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    food fascism

Thank you. That is the best term I have heard in AGES! :lol:

Yeah, stupid though. They'd have gone NUTS at my lunch somedays...

Scotch cunningly smuggled in inside a drink bottle - or brandy - 2 choccy bars, or some crisps, ham/turkey/beef sandwhich... and sometimes I would buy a Pie at the co-op cooked food section. Or the chippy!
    When is this going to end? When the schools force fed the kids a healthy meal and if they dont like it tough, they can go hungry? They need to properly educate the parents how to feed their kids a healthy balanced diet, with ocasional treats/snacks, the schools need to allow for fussy eaters as well. The need to bring back proper cooking/ nutrion from a young age so you can actually cook, food technology (when I did it) is a load wank. And the manufactures need to advertise properly be honest about what goes into their food products and not confuse the public.
    I think they need a good long PTA meeting to sort this one out. Bet it crops up on the agenda :D above repainting the school fence, anyhow.

Eating healthilty is a good message to send out. They probably dealt with it in the wrong way, what I think would be a more appropriate course of action was to save one til the end of the day. Of course because of the media it's always going to be 'omg the school is so stupid' but if you take it on balance, limiting 2 snacks to a lunchbox is fine. I know when I was at primary school I was only allowed 1! With a good network of friends you could circumvent it, however, and I never recall the teachers making me eat 'on my own' because I had too much.

It was normally a case the teacher would steal your mars bar and sit on it during story time :( after which it was very squishy and not very yummy!
    When is this going to end? When the schools force fed the kids a healthy meal and if they dont like it tough, they can go hungry?
    I'm sure my primary school was like this... I can just remember having a plateful of food i may or may not have liked and basically being forced to either eat or sit there for half an hour staring at the plate then go hungry. I wouldnt oppose to school doing this again at all!

There are no foods that i can think of that i don't like (unless you count marmite as a food :yuck:) and i was always pretty healthy and fit as a kid.
    I was only ever given choices about what to eat in my last year of primary school and of course chose chips whenever they were available, before that though it was proper potato and two veg every day.
    Kids today get given too many choices!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yeah, stupid though. They'd have gone NUTS at my lunch somedays...

Scotch cunningly smuggled in inside a drink bottle - or brandy - 2 choccy bars, or some crisps, ham/turkey/beef sandwhich... and sometimes I would buy a Pie at the co-op cooked food section. Or the chippy!

:lol: :thumb: Scotch at lunch time is pretty hardcore...

I wonder what they do if a kid brings back one of those deep fat fried mars bars? Visiting the bro at uni in Scotland I had to try one...they're actually quite nice. If you try not to picture the caramel as heart disease inducing gooey fat that is...

Our Sixth Form delicacy, esp on Wednesday afternoons as a substitute for 'optional' games was a few pints and pork scratchings...Not to mention a packet of luckies. Ah, I miss Sixth Form. I imagine even 'grown up' Sixth Formers will eventually not be allowed out in case they don't eat healthily. Then there's smoking bans and well they'll put a fat tax on kebabs and pork scratchings next. Things'll never be the same again. If I wasn't skinny perhaps food fascism would make more sense *shrugs*.
    :lol: :thumb: Scotch at lunch time is pretty hardcore...

I wonder what they do if a kid brings back one of those deep fat fried mars bars? Visiting the bro at uni in Scotland I had to try one...they're actually quite nice. If you try not to picture the caramel as heart disease inducing gooey fat that is...

Our Sixth Form delicacy, esp on Wednesday afternoons as a substitute for 'optional' games was a few pints and pork scratchings...Not to mention a packet of luckies. Ah, I miss Sixth Form. I imagine even 'grown up' Sixth Formers will eventually not be allowed out in case they don't eat healthily. Then there's smoking bans and well they'll put a fat tax on kebabs and pork scratchings next. Things'll never be the same again. If I wasn't skinny perhaps food fascism would make more sense *shrugs*.

A pack of Luckies eh? Fuck me. I wish I could afford Luckies all the time... lovel smokes. :( L&B it is for me - Or B&H Gold when I feel like it! Ah well, must get a job - if the stupid Social Security people would KINDLY SEND MY NI CARD FORM OUT PLEASE.

A few pints at sixth form/college is expected though - what ELSE do students do? I mean, staying health is really all about being sensible and using moderation. Nothing more to it. You don't have to be a skinny supermodel or anything. Makes you wonder HOW we coped as cavemen without all this health advice and limiting what is eaten and OMFG, we didn't have REDUCED FAT AND REDUCED CARB stuff to buy and eat. We must have all been clinically obese in them days!
    thats ridiculous, we're getting too obsessed with this now. Whats funny, i'm in sixth form and we have 1 vending machine (thats never full) and that's going to be taken out in november because it'll be illegal for schools to have vending machines with anything unhealthy in it.
    Yet at college they've got a whole line of vending machines full of crisps/chocolate/sweets and fizzy drinks machines. The canteen also sell chips and stuff.

It's a bit hypocritical i think. Kids have to live off veg yet it's ok for adults to eat crap?
    We had loads of vending machines, still do probably. I got free dinners in school, fuck all healthy food there also. People should eat what they want, if they turn out like fat cunts and die young from heart disease then that's their problem.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    We had loads of vending machines, still do probably. I got free dinners in school, fuck all healthy food there also. People should eat what they want, if they turn out like fat cunts and die young from heart disease then that's their problem.

Except it's also ours, obesity is a bigger cost to the NHS than smoking TBH.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    A pack of Luckies eh? Fuck me. I wish I could afford Luckies all the time... lovel smokes. :( L&B it is for me - Or B&H Gold when I feel like it!

Luckies are cheaper than B&H gold at my newsagent. I stocked up in Greece anyway on Dunhill and Chesterfield and they should last me until I go to Germany...:p Buy when you're abroad and you can afford posh cigarettes like Dunhill...Chesterfield are a bit nasty though but then they were 1.50 euros a packet.
    i eat kebabs forl unch at work, i work in a school and their school dinners are overpriced and crap, and the new 6 form canteen is crap is alrite quality but well over priced - when i can jus go to the local chippy and get donor meat chips and a ton of salad for £2

i'm not gaining weight, in fact im losing it, because my job at the school(carrying stuff around it) means i work it all off :p
    Luckies are cheaper than B&H gold at my newsagent. I stocked up in Greece anyway on Dunhill and Chesterfield and they should last me until I go to Germany...:p Buy when you're abroad and you can afford posh cigarettes like Dunhill...Chesterfield are a bit nasty though but then they were 1.50 euros a packet.

I like your newsagents ;( It's 4.90 for 20 B&H gold 100's here (Yet £5.10 for 20 ordinary B&H Gold?) and 5.10 for 20 Luckies...

And in Cuba, they are practically giving cigies away. It's like, 20p a pack of 20.