Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BA employee to sue company over right to wear cross

A committed Christian plans legal action against her employers British Airways after the airline ruled that displaying a cross breached uniform rules.

Heathrow check-in worker Nadia Eweida claims she was effectively "forced" to take unpaid leave after refusing to remove the Christian symbol.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13547103,00.html

Well call me biased if you will but I don't think she has a case. No jewellery can be openly displayed when wearing an uniform. There is no distinction between religious and non religious item, and she can still wear the cross concealed under her uniform.

Opinions?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13547103,00.html

Well call me biased if you will but I don't think she has a case. No jewellery can be openly displayed when wearing an uniform. There is no distinction between religious and non religious item, and she can still wear the cross concealed under her uniform.

Opinions?
    She has no case as its against company policy for jewelry, your right.

But since everyone seems to be sueing each other for religious discrimination, this ain't any different.

Too me it seems like a publicity stunt, like those two Asians on the plain.
  • Options
    When i worked for Boots, we had a dress code regarding jewellery. Only wedding/engagement ring visible. Small studs/hoops int he ears. Everything else had to removed or hidden by clothing. If she was suspended because of a similar rule, then good on BA as it has absolutely nothing about it being a cross.

Good old ITV started their 5 o'clock bulletin today by specifically saying this woman ^ and the one suspended recently for wearing a veil in a classroom were suspended for their religious beliefs. Twats.

Of course it's only come out because of the veil incident. Something similar has cropped up, from a different perspective, so the media can make another bogus and wholeheartedly false report about it
  • Options
    of corse she has no case,she needs to get a grip!...twat.
  • Options
    I am sure hundreds of BA workers have a cross underneath their uniform, there is no reason why this woman cannot do the same. Religious symbols and jewellery if discreet are acceptable and compatible with a professional appearance. And there is no religious requirement for Christians to show off a cross.

Although, to be fair she does have a case for religious discrimination. As stated in the Sky News article BA allow:
    Other items such as turbans, hijabs and bangles
  • Options
    Well not really. If there was a Christian equivalent to the turban or the jihab BA would no doubt allow it too. The ban refers specifically to jewellery.

It appears the 'religion card' is the new race card.

I honestly think in the last few years we've moved backwards instead of forwards. Everyone is becoming so militant it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well not really. If there was a Christian equivalent to the turban or the jihab BA would no doubt allow it too. The ban refers specifically to jewellery.
    Who decides what is religious attire and what isn't?
  • Options
    The religions themselves I should think.

Christianity doesn't have a religious equivalent to the Hindu turban. If it did, it would be allowed by BA. It is the policy of BA to allow religious garments but not jewellery. Therefore Christianity is not being discriminated against in any shape or form.
  • Options
    If bangles are allowed then I think it's unreasonable that a cross isn't allowed.

If it's no jewellry then it's no jewellry, not with naff exceptions.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Christianity doesn't have a religious equivalent to the Hindu turban. If it did, it would be allowed by BA. It is the policy of BA to allow religious garments but not jewellery. Therefore Christianity is not being discriminated against in any shape or form.
    So does it have to be an organised religion? Could you not claim that it is your personal religious belief that you have to wear something?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Christianity doesn't have a religious equivalent to the Hindu turban.

I always thought the turban was a Sikh thing.
    Aladdin wrote:
    It is the policy of BA to allow religious garments but not jewellery. Therefore Christianity is not being discriminated against in any shape or form.

The policy is still discriminatory. BA should have a fixed uniform for everybody regardless of religion. Fair enough, it might be important to some Muslim BA workers to wear a hijab - if I decide it's important to me that I wear a baseball cap do you think my request would be accommodated? If I had 'visions' and prophesised that we should all wear baseball caps to please God and other people joined up would we be allowed to wear baseball caps to work?

I'm fed up of religion being used as a pretext for people being treated differently. Meanwhile as you said in the past few years we have moved backwards - rather than religion becoming increasingly a private and personal thing as it should be in a civilised society it is increasingly intruding into public life.

The sooner we clear up the wishy washy status quo and make a clear separation between religion and the State starting with the disestablishment of the C of E the better. Only then can religion be clearly defined as a private matter with no place in state schools, government buildings and if they comply, businesses dealing with the public.
  • Options
    What about Catholics? Most catholics would argue it is a requirement to show their faith with a crucifix around their necks. So you cannot lump all Christians into one lump when there are so many different variations on the Christian faith. Also, it should be a case of either all religious dress and decoration or not when it comes to whats on show in my opinion. Regardless whether you are Christian, Hindu, Islamic, Jewish or any other denomination.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

The brevren (sp?) where head scarfs.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    When i worked for Boots, we had a dress code regarding jewellery. Only wedding/engagement ring visible. Small studs/hoops int he ears. Everything else had to removed or hidden by clothing.

Which I think is the same in nearly all work places?

Talk about going over the top - she was asked to remove it for what I assume is health & safety and NOT because BA are discriminating against her because she is a Christian.
  • Options
    A cross has religious significance to Catholics. If she is a Catholic she has a case, if not then she doesn't.
  • Options
    I always thought the turban was a Sikh thing.
    I think that's the case, my mistake.

The policy is still discriminatory. BA should have a fixed uniform for everybody regardless of religion. Fair enough, it might be important to some Muslim BA workers to wear a hijab - if I decide it's important to me that I wear a baseball cap do you think my request would be accommodated? If I had 'visions' and prophesised that we should all wear baseball caps to please God and other people joined up would we be allowed to wear baseball caps to work?
    If it became a recognised religion, or a recognised trend within a recognised religion, then yes.

With regard to discrimination, you're right from a certain angle. But rather than being discrimination against Christians it's against everyone whose religion does not call for certain garments to be worn. It's even a discrimination against atheists and agnostics when you think about it.

Though when it comes to this particular incident no discrimination took place.
    I'm fed up of religion being used as a pretext for people being treated differently. Meanwhile as you said in the past few years we have moved backwards - rather than religion becoming increasingly a private and personal thing as it should be in a civilised society it is increasingly intruding into public life.

The sooner we clear up the wishy washy status quo and make a clear separation between religion and the State starting with the disestablishment of the C of E the better. Only then can religion be clearly defined as a private matter with no place in state schools, government buildings and if they comply, businesses dealing with the public.
    Agree 100% there.
  • Options
    Wherever I've been, if there's been a uniform you've never been allowed to display a crucifix over your clothes, always underneath. I'm suprised she's never stumbled against this hurdle before...
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    A cross has religious significance to Catholics. If she is a Catholic she has a case, if not then she doesn't.
    Even if she was a Catholic she should have been aware of her employer's policy on all jewellery, whether religious or not.

I'm pretty sure other religions have jewellery in the shape of a significant symbol to their faith. They are asked to cover theirs too. If they aren't the woman has a case. If not, she doesn't.
  • Options
  • Options
    If she was a muslim who wore the veil, should she or should she not be allowed to continue wearing it?

Is that relevant? BA could incorporate that into their unifrom, like some schools have, but the action which triggered the OP is related to jewellery and that is not something wchi is even mentioned in the Bible to my knowledge.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I actually don't see why this woman couldn't wear her necklace under her uniform if she wanted to wear it.

She could, but she wants to wear it over her uniform, and seems just to be kicking up a fuss for no reason. It's the media people, they're just looking for a story!
  • Options
    Is that relevant? BA could incorporate that into their unifrom, like some schools have, but the action which triggered the OP is related to jewellery and that is not something wchi is even mentioned in the Bible to my knowledge.

I don't think it's relevant, tbh.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Opinions?
    Ditto!
  • Options
    Relevant in as much as that they are both religious symbols that followers are not expressly ordered to wear. It's an absolute requirement for muslim women to cover their hair but not neccessarily their face. Why do BA focus on jewellry as a detractment from their uniform and not other additional clothing?
    It's not quite an absolute requirement to cover the hair, just near as dammit.

The hijab is kind of tricky because it's not in itself a religious symbol, but a garment used to maintain a religious standard which some might see as secular modesty. No-one feels comfortable about saying 'You must uncover your hair'. The crucifix is nothing but symbolic and/or jewellry.
  • Options
    I actually don't see why this woman couldn't wear her necklace under her uniform if she wanted to wear it.

Which I think was the point. Certainly it's harder to hide a hijab...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    She could, but she wants to wear it over her uniform, and seems just to be kicking up a fuss for no reason. It's the media people, they're just looking for a story!

Exactally.

Bloody Media arses. If it was someone doing the same with a necklace WITHOUT a cross on it - would they bother?
  • Options
    Relevant in as much as that they are both religious symbols that followers are not expressly ordered to wear. It's an absolute requirement for muslim women to cover their hair but not neccessarily their face. Why do BA focus on jewellry as a detractment from their uniform and not other additional clothing?
    You have to draw the line somewhere. BA doesn't want exposed jewellery of any kind, religious or non religious. I really don't know what the fuss is about- other than the woman in question throwing the religious card around, which has become the new race card.
  • Options
    Which I think was the point. Certainly it's harder to hide a hijab...

Is it really the point?

If she is a devout Catholic then it's like asking a Muslim woman to remove her veil while talking to them. I know Catholics who wear their cross with pride and would take offence to people asking them to put it away. I'm speaking hypotetically of course.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Exactally.

Bloody Media arses. If it was someone doing the same with a necklace WITHOUT a cross on it - would they bother?
    Evidently, yes.