Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Racism?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=1068904
Sorry if I misunderstood the article but since when was saying you can't understand a language racist?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Thats bloody stupid.

I had this at Uni where me and a friend were put with 3 asian lads who did nothing but skive, miss deadlines and make offensive comments about whites. We reported it and they failed :D
  • Options
    This country gets bloody stupider by the day.
  • Options
    Thats ridiculous.
  • Options
    Hahaha the Law and the Education system in this country does make me laugh...pathetic
  • Options
    Article wrote:
    She said the four girls and one boy began talking in a language she did not understand, believed to be Urdu, and she asked to be removed from the group.

Hmm, why did she ask to be removed, rather than ask then to speak in a language which she understood - which I am sure they could have done. They were certainly shoing bad manners but her reaction is not better.

I think that there is more to this than is shown in that small article.
  • Options
    hm that does sound a little bit stupid. also apparently you cant call it a blackboard anymore cos its racist?! someone told me that the other day but it sounded a little too rediculous to be believed
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    hm that does sound a little bit stupid. also apparently you cant call it a blackboard anymore cos its racist?! someone told me that the other day but it sounded a little too rediculous to be believed

It's been that way for a while I think?
  • Options
    Yeah it changed when i was in primary school hah they were like we cant call it a blackboard anymore cause its racist and we were all quite baffled.
  • Options
    Sorry, but that is complete bollocks. It's a blackboard or whiteboard, depending on the colour natch.

If you thin kotherwise then perhaps you can take me to a link because it was never an issue when I was a school gov.
  • Options
    no apparently a blackboard has to be a chalkboard. i think its schools personal policy rather than a rule. im not even sure i believe it, just what someone said! i remember them changing what it was called though
  • Options
    well i dont think they would lie to a bunch of little kids ... whcih i was back then.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    im not even sure i believe it, just what someone said! i remember them changing what it was called though

I certainly don't believe it and just because someone said it was so, doesn't mean that it was.

People will always use example like that to undermine what they see as "political correctness gone maaaaaaaaad", yet seldom is there any evidence...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    LOL.

Stupidity prevails.
  • Options
    Absolutely disgusting. The girl should receive a full apology.

Of course part of the problem might be that the other kids don't speak English well. And that's a real problem in many schools.
  • Options
    why would they change blackboard to chalkboard then? whatever reason for changing it is stupid
  • Options
    What a pathetic response by the teachers to the situation. Personally if i had ever been put in a group with 4 other students who refused to speak in English, not just Asians speaking Urdu, but a group speaking spanish or what ever, i would asked to be removed from the group. If they are refusing to show enough respect to speak the native language of the country they are citizens of, while in school, while working with a student who doesnt speak their language, then i would have asked to be removed from the group and placed with people who were speaking English.

By a side note, this is hardly uncommon, i attended a school where a small group of Asian students (not just middle eastern but far eastern included) would form cliques and only "speak" in their home countries language. Fair enough...except they didnt know that language and could only speak 10 words in total between all of them. One of them i was mates with told me it was only done to piss off other people. I never found out why they bothered but meh, im passed shcool now.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    why would they change blackboard to chalkboard then? whatever reason for changing it is stupid

They haven't.
  • Options
    well i remember when they told us about the new name!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:

Some teacher may well have got the wrong end of the stick. The term blackboard was not banned.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    other students who refused to speak in English

*emphasis mine.

There is nothing in the article which suggests that they refused to speak English.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:

What new name, you still haven't provided a link. Just because "a mate of a mate" once told their sister who told you, doesn't make it true. You cannot ban a word, for a start, but even if it was suggested that people might want to consider the racial undertones then I really don't think that "blackboard" would be the first place to look.

Ditto, Baa Baa Black Sheep.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    By a side note, this is hardly uncommon, i attended a school where a small group of Asian students (not just middle eastern but far eastern included) would form cliques and only "speak" in their home countries language. Fair enough...except they didnt know that language and could only speak 10 words in total between all of them. One of them i was mates with told me it was only done to piss off other people. I never found out why they bothered but meh, im passed shcool now.
    English speaking kids do that too, so that teachers don't know what they're talking about. Hell, I'm only 22, but I bet if I went into a classroom today, I wouldn't have a clue what most of them are on about. Remember the whole making up a new word for something, then laughing at people when you asked them what it meant, and they didn't know? Or worse still, ask them if they are one, then take the piss out of their answer. Ahh, kids are so cruel.
  • Options
    English speaking kids do that too, so that teachers don't know what they're talking about. Hell, I'm only 22, but I bet if I went into a classroom today, I wouldn't have a clue what most of them are on about. Remember the whole making up a new word for something, then laughing at people when you asked them what it meant, and they didn't know? Or worse still, ask them if they are one, then take the piss out of their answer. Ahh, kids are so cruel.

I'm only 22, but i dont remember that from my school days. Sure we used slang, but even the teachers at my school new it all too.
  • Options
    well i googled it and there's a lot of references to blackboard being changed to chalkboard for reasons of political correctness. i did say in my original post that i wasn't even sure if it was right just something i'd heard, and that i also remember when they changed the name when i was in school for whatever reason. i'm not saying its true or right. in uni we use blackboard on the pc anyway so its clearly not banned.
  • Options
    Aaaaah, well if its on the internet, it must be true. Silly me eh?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    well i googled it and there's a lot of references to blackboard being changed to chalkboard

Show me.
  • Options
    i never said it was true! i said i'd heard of it and that i remember when they changed ours from blackboard to chalkboard. i never thought anything of it and the other day someone told me it was cos its racist. as i said in my first post it sounds too rediculous to be true, but apparently other people have heard of it too
  • Options
    Yes, I've heard it too. However I don't repeat it as I know it isn't true.
  • Options
    there was nothing bad about the lil girl saying she didnt understand their language... stupid school.. it would b different if she called them names.. but thats silly.. making the news for nothing.