Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Christmas Pudding

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
It is that time of year that I am planning my Christmas cooking. My Christmas cake is going to be made this weekend and this year I am planning, for the first time ever, to make Christmas puddings!

I am planning on following Delia's Traditional Recipe but wondering if any of you culinary geniuses out there have a better recipe.

w00t.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im thinking of making a Christmas cake this year, I havent made one since I was at school, do you use Delia's recipe Laura?

No advice about pudding though sorry, sorry to hijack :p
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Glittery wrote:
    Im thinking of making a Christmas cake this year, I havent made one since I was at school, do you use Delia's recipe Laura?

No advice about pudding though sorry, sorry to hijack :p

Yus, I use her recipe but adapt it slightly as I put in a bit more cherry and take out the candied peel. I don't like candied peel.

It's relatively straightforward but you have to do it over two days as you have to let the fruit soak up the brandy :D

Tis nice though. I like it :)
    When I made it at school Im pretty sure we left the fruit mix in the brandy for a few weeks, did I imagine that or could I make it say the week before Christmas?
    Glittery wrote:
    When I made it at school Im pretty sure we left the fruit mix in the brandy for a few weeks, did I imagine that or could I make it say the week before Christmas?

I suppose you *could* make it the week before Christmas. I'm not sure. It won't have had much time to mature and you won't get much brandy feeding in though.

However, if it is a good cake i'm sure it'll still taste delicious :yum:
    Glittery wrote:
    When I made it at school Im pretty sure we left the fruit mix in the brandy for a few weeks, did I imagine that

I think you may be confusing the fact that a good christmas cake is made a few weeks in advance, and you 'brandify' it in the weeks leading up to Christmas. I'd imagine, if you left dried fruit in brandy for a few weeks, they'd go off. Unless of course you were preserving them.

The Delia recipe looks good IMO, and i'd 'brandify' it in the weeks leading up to Christmas, as you would a cake, but Missy seems way to competant for me to be telling her that :D
    I havnt had xmas pudding in years. Cant remember what it tastes like.
    Glittery wrote:
    yeah we do that but we keep topping it up every now n then and also add a few more naughty ingredients ;)
    I suppose you *could* make it the week before Christmas. I'm not sure. It won't have had much time to mature and you won't get much brandy feeding in though.

You can make 'em the week before and they're ok, but you don't get that rich, dark flavour and moistness that you get with a well fed cake. Go on, make it this week :)
    RubberSkin wrote:
    The Delia recipe looks good IMO, and i'd 'brandify' it in the weeks leading up to Christmas, as you would a cake, but Missy seems way to competant for me to be telling her that :D
    I am very proud of my Christmas cake and always feed it brandy. It makes it less dry tbh.

Think I'll try Delia's pudding recipe. Need to get something to put the cake in and some muslin to steam it too.

I love food at this time of year.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I think you may be confusing the fact that a good christmas cake is made a few weeks in advance, and you 'brandify' it in the weeks leading up to Christmas. I'd imagine, if you left dried fruit in brandy for a few weeks, they'd go off. Unless of course you were preserving them.
    The alcohol preserves the fruit, its fine to leave it for a few months, my mum usually makes the mince in September and leaves it in a cool dark place until the week before Christmas.
    Im going to start my cake this week :D

Need to get a cake tin first though, and the ingredients I suppose, all I've got is the brandy!
    Glittery wrote:
    Im going to start my cake this week :D

Need to get a cake tin first though, and the ingredients I suppose, all I've got is the brandy!

Mine is all made now :D

It is wrapped in tinfoil and is currently sitting on top of our cupboards waiting to be fed brandy and then iced closer to Christmas. How exciting :D