Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bloody gits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We've been arranging a Halloween (bf has a tradition for doing them) party for months now. Rented one these 'Country Homes & Cottages' type places as their was gonna be about 35 of us and wanted this place as it's isolated and can have a noisy party without interupting any neighbours. Paid in full months back, got all the booze, non-perishable snacks, themed party plates, cups, decorations. Someone ordered some fireworks and a lot of people have taken time off work to come, as it's going to be a weekend thing, and it's took a fair bit of organising.

Just had a call from the people that own the house. Their house has burnt down, so they're staying in the house we've booked and paid for so we won't be able to use it ! Why the fuck can't they piss off to some hotel/neighbours/friends/family for the w/e instead of fucking up a w/e thats been booked for months ?

I feel sorry for them, but it wasn't our fault. Bloody inconsiderate wankers.

Comments

• Options
    because they're rich fuckers. inconsiderate is a necessary attribute
  • Options
    Will you get your money back?
  • Options
    Well hopefully. The things that's really pissed us off is that the fire was on thursday, it's on bbc news website, and they told us late y'day. Now i know they've got more things on their minds, but if you're running a business you should have some competance with dealing with your customers. Certainly as this is the 3rd time the bf has rented this property.
  • Options
    can you imagine having your house burnt down? with all your possesions -sentimental or otherwise? having sort out all the insurance, find somewhere else to live, the shock of it all etc. i wouldn't give a fuck about someones weekend that they had booked, i'd be more concenred about me and my family. just like you're more concerned about your party. i can understand you're gutted though, hope you find alternative accomodation.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    hope you find alternative accomodation.

Nope. There's nothing that 'suits our requirements' i.e. sleeps 10+ and fairly issolated. I i agree, they must be pretty devastated, but you're running a business and you don't shit on your customers because something crap has happened in your life. They have insurance, and insurance pays for hotel/alternative accomodation. Fucking assholes. That's what's annoying me so much. There is an alternative and the self centered cunts don't want to do it.
  • Options
    If you want that cottage so badly could you not maybe pay for them to stay in a hotel for the weekend? If there's 35 of you going, a tenner each, it's not going to leave anyone hugely out of pocket and you still get to have your party. If they go for it that is.

ETA - Just saw you said they dont want to go to a hotel, how odd. You'd think they'd be grateful for the money they'd be getting from you at a time like that.
  • Options
    look for a camp site. I used one recently, it had tenst alreayd up, a big hall/kitchen and dorm with bunk beds. Was great fun in the middle of no where but we had electricity, showers, toilets, bit hob and oven. like the sites you used to go to while camping with school.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Well hopefully. The things that's really pissed us off is that the fire was on thursday, it's on bbc news website, and they told us late y'day.

Presume that you mean last Thursday? Otherwise they called you the same day it happened...
    Now i know they've got more things on their minds, but if you're running a business you should have some competance with dealing with your customers. Certainly as this is the 3rd time the bf has rented this property.

What comes first, you nusiness or a roof over your head. If you think it's the former then you have life's priorities screwed IMHO.

So long as you get your money back then there is little that you can do. It's not like there is a breach of contract here and you do have a little time to source something else.

I'd say that you mark this down as "one of those things" and get on with your life...
  • Options
    It's not like there is a breach of contract here

As a matter of fact there is. Bf has a contract to rent this property for 2 days for a sum specified, they've broken it. I couldn't give a fart about some rich twat who can afford to buy a 14th century manor and own 3 other properties that he rents out. He can fuck off to a hotel like every other poor sod has to do when they're house burns down.
  • Options
    That sucks, but so does them losing thier home. I can see why you would be annoyed though.
    Sounds like you had an interesting ;) party planned.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    interesting

Ah, you picked that up did you ? ;)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Ah, you picked that up did you ? ;)

I have read about those types of partys ;). I don't think tents would have the same feel to it lol.
    Any luck in finding somewhere else? Or you just gonna cancel it?
  • Options
    Gonna have it at home. Not that the food & drink would of been wasted, a lot of it would of kept till the Christmas party, but we decided to invite the first 12 that responded to the Halloween invite here. Not that much :naughty: is gonna happen. Not in front of my kittens :D
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Any luck in finding somewhere else?

A lot of peeps must have the same idea for Halloween, as their books are fully, ummmm, booked :)
  • Options
    Lol well at least it can still go ahead, have fun. I'm sure you will.
  • Options
    We bought pumpkins today :) Now just gotta learn how to carve one out without severing a major artery ;)
  • Options
    lol i've never done one.
  • Options
    chop around the top, either plain circle or zig-zags. scoop out goop & seeds. Cut in a face. U can draw on it first... Needs a strong sharp knife coz the flesh is quite thick. Straight lines are easiest... have fun