Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Free-range milk?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there such thing? I think i've noticed organic but that doesn't mean milk from non-squashed happy cows

Comments

• Options
    yes it does. Organic have quite high standards of animal welfare. Anything with the organic standard label wont be intensively farmed, even if they dont say free range on the label.
    I always buy organic milk. Its not even much more expensive.

http://www.omsco.co.uk/index.cfm/organicmilk/WhyOrganic.Reasons
  • Options
    I had assumed all cows lived in fields and were hence "free range"

the organic part has to do with any other feed they get I suppose
  • Options
    No, all cows are NOT "free range".

Check www.milksucks.com

ugh.s
  • Options
    No, all cows are NOT "free range".

Check www.milksucks.com

yeh went on that site that from america tho the standards are a lot worse over there than they are here in the UK.
    i have worked on dairy farms since i left school three years ago and the condition are a whole world better than that over here, milk is very good for you and should be drunk daily.
    the matter of 'free range' cows, well some cows are kept in sheds over here all year round but i thinks thats creul, so most cows are kept in over the winter months and let out in the spring till the autumn and then they come back in.
    the mojority of farms are free range but the milk is not marketed in that way at the moment.
  • Options
    I've seen free range milk, it was labelled as "organic free range". No, not all cows roam freely, that's why i always try to buy free range dairy and always free range meat.
  • Options
    wow this is old! i was thinking i don't remember posting this