Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'Feeding kids meat is child abuse'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Or so say PETA :rolleyes: Source

Do these people have any kind of idea what child abuse actually is?

Comments

• Options
    Of course not, they also have an inflated opinion of their worth IMHO
  • Options
    I remember seeing this. PETA really are sick fuckers. Child abuse is an absolutely horrific thing, to trivialise actual child abuse by calling parents who will not adhere to vegetarianism child abusers is just absolutely disgusting.

The tactics of PETA really harm their cause, decent people feel nothing but repulsion for them. And nothing makes me want a steak or a kebab more than hearing PETA whine.
  • Options
    I dont agree with them that its child abuse.
    It doesnt make me angry though.
  • Options
    fair enough if they think eating meat is wrong, but they really do take it too far by trying to impose their views by trying to guilt trip us.
    I think that is an insult to people who have REALLY experienced child abuse.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    go_away wrote:
    Or so say PETA :rolleyes: Source

Do these people have any kind of idea what child abuse actually is?

Of course not, and this only serves to trivialise a serious matter.

But PETA are a fucknig stupid waste of space TBH. Let's burn thier HQ to the ground and throw burgers at them.
  • Options
    It's been on the local news recently and it disgusted me.
  • Options
    well they probably see it in the same way as feeding kids really unhealthy food, in the same way that people might say giving your toddler coca cola is a form of abuse.
    If someone believes that something is unnaceptably unhealthy, then they may well think that people shouldnt give it to their kids, but to make a public campaign about it, is OTT, although as everyone on here always says, its freedom of speech, and its good to bring up debate.
  • Options
    It's just stupid. Full stop.

Cars release emissions that are damaging, does buying cars equate child abuse? Silly fucks.
  • Options
    its not eating meat that makes you obese etc, it's eating too much of the wrong stuff...not just meat - and usually the fatty/greasy stuff :rolleyes:
    though over feeding your kids i think can be seen as some form of abuse.
  • Options
    i agree that letting/making your kids eat unhealthy diets is bad but i wouldnt call it 'child abuse'. and like ballerina says, you can eat a healthy meat diet just as much as you can eat an unhealthy vegetarian diet. they say vegetarians are slimmer but thats probably cos they think more about what they eat not because meat makes you fat (although a poor quality battery farm chicken can be up to 30% fat, quorn is 3%). i had quorn for dinner :D
  • Options
    PETO made up of dumbass people...or based on this so it seems. Makes me rememeber that episode of South Park where the depict PETA as a group sick folks who carry out beastiality...i wonder how close to truth it is.
  • Options
    So if foring a child to eat eat is 'child abuse', what exactly is forcing them to eat healthy food?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    What a joke. Anybody with any sense can see this is bollocks.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    wells kids wont get obese and die from eating healthy food!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:

But they do need a certain amount of fat in their diet...
  • Options
    Does any remember that Futurama episode where a bunch of vegetarians forced a lion to learn to eat nothing but Tofoo? PETA are soon to join this level of retardedness.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    kangoo wrote:

It's eating too much of something which is unhealthy and it can apply to many things, not just meat and fat.
    As with many foods meat and fat is are perfectly healthy in in moderation.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Of course not, and this only serves to trivialise a serious matter.

But PETA are a fucknig stupid waste of space TBH. Let's burn thier HQ to the ground and throw burgers at them.

I just dont agree with PETA's way of doing things. They seem to think that if they bully and use (incorrect) shock tactics they will get there point across. TBH they just wind me up and annoy me.
  • Options
    i wasnt agreeing with PETA i think they are talking bollocks, as you will see from my previous post. sofie i was pointing out that PETA think its child abuse because the parents are actually harming their kids by feeling them crap, where as feeding them healthy food will not harm them. i also agree that although the problem of obese children is concerning it has little do with vegetarianism which is what PETA seem to think. mcdonalds do veggie buger too!
  • Options
    If their argument is the unhealthiness of meat, then their pertinacious, in particular unfounded, statement makes me wonder if we're really of the same species.

come on, everything in the wrong amounts is unhealthy, and meat contains essential protein. You can't impose a personal opinion like that without a factual foundation... e.g. calling it child abuse. Vegitarianism is an opinion, and there's nothing physically wrong with eating meat (i won't enter the ethical zone)

edit: correction
  • Options
    I'd say bringing up children on a vegan diet, and maybe even on a vegetarian one, is a lot closer to 'child abuse' than giving them meat could ever be. But that's just me.
  • Options
    Any parent who refuses to feed their children fish and chips through school gates is a child abuser and deserves prison.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:

A heathy diet is one thing, but can you define what "healthy food" is?

BTW People who eat a healthy diet die every day.
  • Options
    Doesn't suprise me about PETA one bit. they're the ones who compared factory farms to Belsen

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/02/28/peta.holocaust/
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'd say bringing up children on a vegan diet, and maybe even on a vegetarian one, is a lot closer to 'child abuse' than giving them meat could ever be. But that's just me.

:yes: :yes: :yes:
  • Options
    People Eat Tasty Animals.

They should feed PETA to the lions, lets see how far their vegetarian animal-loving get them there.
  • Options
    well they probably see it in the same way as feeding kids really unhealthy food, in the same way that people might say giving your toddler coca cola is a form of abuse.
    If someone believes that something is unnaceptably unhealthy, then they may well think that people shouldnt give it to their kids, but to make a public campaign about it, is OTT, although as everyone on here always says, its freedom of speech, and its good to bring up debate.
    :yes: I agree on the point about diets. Vegetarians statistically live longer, have lower rates of obesity and heart problems according to various research (which I can source to any sceptics). I don't think it is child abuse though... No more than giving a 'hyper child' Ritalin is child abuse or how the schools force little kids in to doinf SATs.
    I disagree. If I had children I would raise them on a balanced vegetarian diet until they were old enough to decide whether they wanted to eat meat or not. Then when they were a bit older I would show them videos of a slaughter house and explain the environmental impact of eating meat, but also the plus points. It isn't child abuse, it is just making sure they are aware of where their food comes from (and for the record they'd know where wheat and veg comes from too).

People eat meat because it tastes good, it is as hedonistic as maturbation or drinking beer... If people want to eat meat, let them. But it is not an issue of 'child abuse' if the kid is given a healthy diet (eg, far more fruit, veg, pulses, wheat ect than meat on a plate) with a small amount of meat or products derived from animal slaughter in them... Unless of course the kid wants to be vegetarian and has pork forced down their throat.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I assume you mean forcing that particular diet onto them?

When I was five I made a choice that I no longer wanted to eat meat - my mum respected that and cooked my meals accordingly, however my dad and the rest of his family didn't so whenever I ate there he'd cut up meat into small pieces and sprinkle it accross my food so I had little choice in the matter. I think the latter is closer to this 'abuse'.
    I meant people who bring their children up from the start as vegans. I wouldn't call it 'abuse' but it is certainly highly irresponsible.

It's not such an issue with veggie diets but I still believe small children should be brought up on the healthiest and most complete diet possible, and let them choose at a later date whether they want to go veggie.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I meant people who bring their children up from the start as vegans. I wouldn't call it 'abuse' but it is certainly highly irresponsible.

It's not such an issue with veggie diets but I still believe small children should be brought up on the healthiest and most complete diet possible, and let them choose at a later date whether they want to go veggie.
    :yes: i wouldn't force my kids to be veggies because of my own personal beliefs, i'd want them to try as much stuff as possible and then let them chose for themselves.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You know, raising children as atheists, or muslims, or buddhists, or anything other than christians is child abuse too. :p