Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Misco BareBone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay i found this site off a friend and i wanna know what people think of it and what will i need i.e CPU and GFX I want a 128 GFX and a CPU of 1.80ghz

Misco BareBone Computer: http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~110294~WW~ms~/Asus%20Terminator%202%20AE1%20Barebone%20Kit.htm
Thank you kind people
*Birthday tomorrow*

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What would you like to do with your computer?

Just so you know it's socket 754 so any socket 64 processor.

Graphics for most modern games 256mb vram is necessary to load high resolution textures, you can get away with 128 (i do) but I am looking to upgrade fairly soon (cant decide whether to wait for dx10 cards) - think 256 by next year will become the minimum requirement for top end games.

But it all depends what you want to do on it :) I have a brilliant article actually, let me know and I'll post up some specs :thumb:
    Well all im looking for is a better CPU and GFX the gfx is no problem i know my way around them its just the CPU

Should i...

Just buy a new CPU Bare in mind my Computer is P4 and 1.70ghz i believe

So should i just change the CPU But how do i know what CPU It Is :crazyeyes

And all im looking for is to upgrade it abit so my games are happy'er

Is This a good Mobo? And CPU - Is it 2Ghz?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=475263
    Game performance is mainly bottlenecked by RAM and the graphics card, not the processsor.

Are you looking to build a new computer or upgrade your existing one? The barebones system you shown already had a motherboard installed - not sure what it is though.

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=55496&highlight=t2-ae1 theres a review there, doesn't seem to be too happy with it...

http://www.baconsarnie.com/asus_build/build_log.html a build log thingy
    Well i would like to upgrade the computer so your saying memory? But the thing is the "Games PC" i have at the moment is oldish so i've really got my eyes on this one...

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=475263

Please can someone tell me the CPU please because if i know that i can make myself an order
    Okay PRODUCT UPDATE....

A Friend has put together this for me - just want to know what you think?

Motherboard - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=178528

CPU - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=250181
    Game performance is mainly bottlenecked by RAM and the graphics card, not the processsor.

Nah the CPU has a huge effect on what performance you can achieve with a GFX card. To slow and you cannot utilise the power of other components.

Coolme you should copy and paste the name of the mobo and cpu into google and read afew reviews on what people say, and make a decision on whether or not it's a good choice for you.
    That's socket AM2. AM2 processors are futureproof, but with the new core 2 duos... if you want to be spending that kind of money I'd get an LGA775 motherboard and go with an Intel E6300. Wont be cheap mind you.

What's your budget? *pulls out magasine*...

For £396 you can build a complete system that will run Battlefield 2 at 1208 x 1024 with 4x AA and high anistropic filtering at 52FPS using the following bits:

Gigabyte GS-K8NE socket 754 motherboard (£46.99 www.scan.co.uk)
    OEM Socket 754 Sempron 3000+ (£53.09 www.scan.co.uk)
    1 x 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM (£52.10 www.scan.co.uk)
    Antec SLK1650 case including 350w antec PSU (£45.14 www.savastore.co.uk)
    Gigabyte GV-NX68G256D-B [geforce 6800gs equiv] (£135.01 ww.scan.co.uk)
    80GB EIDE Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 (£33.11 www.scan.co.uk)
    LG 16x black DVD-ROM (£12.98 www.scan.co.uk)
    Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (£17.85 www.vadim.co.uk)

That's just a reference though really.. if you have any ideas then you can change the layout, but that build is overclockacble (CPU from 1.8GHz to 2.25GHz, GPU from 485 to 550.

Are there any components you can salvage? If you post up your system specs I'll have a look to see if there are obvious bottlenecks to performance.
    Erm i only really want to spend £60 LOL!

That "bundle" i posted is 73 all together including VAT and Postage

So unless you can come up with a good deal like that im sticking with it

But thanks for making that list
    CoolMe wrote:
    Erm i only really want to spend £60 LOL!

That "bundle" i posted is 73 all together including VAT and Postage

So unless you can come up with a good deal like that im sticking with it

But thanks for making that list

Unfortunetely, you get what you pay for with PC components... so i'd keep saving!
    Ah right. So you have DDR memory and a graphics card at home yea? Well the motherboard supports AGP graphics cards so you couldn't get a PCI-E in future.

What are your current system specs anyway?
    But what ive posted is good? 2 Ghz and i can use all the parts i have at home and i have lots
    Ah right. So you have DDR memory and a graphics card at home yea? Well the motherboard supports AGP graphics cards so you couldn't get a PCI-E in future.

So i cant just plug a GFX Card in?

And whats that mean
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=347691

This might give a better boost for performance in games.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=347691

This might give a better boost for performance in games.

*Chokes on the price*

Erm do you have a good Motherboard with at lest 3 Ram Slots a cpu for about 1.8

Ill keep my current gfx card because a friend can give me theres
    If you want a good solid Mobo for 754 then you need an N-FORCE 3 board. I have the DFI Lanparty N-Force 3 which is the best 754 board when you overclock and use all the features it comes with.

Read http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=894&page=10 on that board, although this is Pro and i'm not sure the one you posted is.
    CoolMe wrote:
    So i cant just plug a GFX Card in?

And whats that mean

Well, in the 1999s etc. they used an interface (slot) called AGP. Technology has since moved on and currently we're on PCI-E, all the new cards coming out now are based on this. However, buying a PCI-E card is well into the hundreds, so for immediate expansion it's not essential - but future upgradability will suffer.

Your current card will probably be AGP.

How much system memory do you have? You should have at least 1gb I think...
    Ive got tons of memory lying around thats not a problem, just need you guys to think of a good cheap deal

*Bows down at the Techy People*
    Nash wrote:
    If you want a good solid Mobo for 754 then you need an N-FORCE 3 board. I have the DFI Lanparty N-Force 3 which is the best 754 board when you overclock and use all the features it comes with.

Read http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=894&page=10 on that board, although this is Pro and i'm not sure the one you posted is.

Or an nforce4 motherboard... http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=213218
    Technology has since moved on and currently we're on PCI-E, all the new cards coming out now are based on this.

That's not strictly true, there's still life in AGP. Gainward just released a 7900GT AGP DX10 card which is the fastest ever seen for AGP. We're talking ultra fast, only 1500 made. And they have a standard edition which isn't limited.
    Easy way to do this actually..

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

What processor do you have?

What motherboard do you have?

What graphics card do you have?

How much system memory do you have?

Then we cna work better to see what £60 will get you :)
    Nash wrote:
    That's not strictly true, there's still life in AGP. Gainward just released a 7900GT AGP DX10 card which is the fastest ever seen for AGP. We're talking ultra fast, only 1500 made. And they have a standard edition which isn't limited.
    So is DX10 out now? I was holding off building a system because I didn't think we'd see them till next year...

Yeh I forgot to say DFI also had NFORCE 4 for 754 although they would have stopped being made now. If you leave it to late then all the top manufacturers stop making the best boards for your current platform, which is a shame.
    Easy way to do this actually..

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

What processor do you have?

What motherboard do you have?

What graphics card do you have?

How much system memory do you have?

Then we cna work better to see what £60 will get you :)

So is DX10 out now? I was holding off building a system because I didn't think we'd see them till next year...

Okay give me 5 mins, erm Do you have msn messenger?

Very close for PCI-E I believe. Gainward wanted to make the best AGP card ever seen, and so have added DX10 for the next generation to push the life out of AGP further, for all the people not wanting to upgrade just yet. Although I think DX10 is limited to the 1500 only made.
    Okay Here we go people

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) MEDIONPC
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6534
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/28/2001
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    52.85 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

IDE DVD-ROM 16X [CD-ROM drive]
    IDE-CD R/RW 12x8x32 [CD-ROM drive]

SAMSUNG SP0842N [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S0DWJ30L519233, rev BH100-45, SMART Status: Healthy 512 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 52.85 GB free

Controllers Display
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Intel(R) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 244B
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 [Display adapter]
    GTV GTV17WLCD [Monitor] (16.9"vis, s/n G1567500159, May 2003)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
    Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
    MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    Standard Game Port
    Communications Other Devices

Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2
    Dear god upgrade your graphics card!!!

That's a very low performance, very old one. I had one.. 5 years ago? Well, an MX440, and it couldn't run any games. So thats first. Second, you're a bit low on RAM, so maybe get some more of that - but it depends how many slots you have free. Your motherboard restricts you with upgradability as it only supports up to 2ghz processors. :chin:
    For a serious PC, I'd save up and buy a quality motherboard. It suprises me how many people will drop 400 quid on a graphics card, but moan about paying over 40 notes for a motherboard, which is the key critical component. Get a flakey motherboard and nothing else will ever be stable.

I got this one a short while ago, which is super. Of course it's socket 939, which is now in end of life, but you can probably get an AM2 equivalent, like this
    Only 2 slots, so thats why i would like to upgrade it all, would my CPU fit another motherboard? if so which one would you say?

And i dont want to make the computer the best as my laptop is what i use i only the PC Because my 256mb intel GFX Card wont work with HL2