Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Access to rented property

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, my landlady is selling a property in which I have been a tenant for 4 months. I know my rights about the continuing tenancy, etc., but I'm getting narky about the impact that showing people around is having. The following is a bit of a rant, but it has a point, honest...

The landlady gave me 1.5 hours' notice that she would be showing someone around the flat today. When I said "no" (on the grounds she is contractually obliged to give 48 hours' notice) she got mad and said I couldn't refuse and went in anyway.

I got home to realise that not only had I sorted my washing all over the floor (so it was in lights / darks / colours piles by the door) and my underwear was drying in the hall, I'd also left my DSA application on my desk. Yes, folks, my bank details, pay slips, student status paperwork and psychiatric report (on top - of course...) were there for all the world to see.

As of tomorrow, I'm locking my bedroom door every day unless I have had the required 48 hours' notice. As I understand it, she can't tell me off if she arrives at the flat in a situation that's in breach of contract and my door is locked. I'm paying her well over £400 per month for that space and that should be enough to maintain my privacy and the security of my belongings (my insurance is void if anyone who's been let in by a keyholder steals anything).

Would my housemate and I be within our rights to show the tenancy agreement to the estate agent (without consulting the landlady) to inform them that unless we have had the required notice, we won't grant access?

Sorry that this is both quite long and complicated!

Comments

• Options
    I would deffinatly go to the estate agent, maybe even get some advice from the citizens adice bureau, could you not say something went missing also to put the cat amongst the pigeons!
  • Options
    I'm not going to lie and say something went missing, that would be too much trouble.
  • Options
    Maybe just continue to leave your washing all over the flat and everything else in a horrible state and she will soon come round to your way of thinking.
  • Options
    Well yes, was gonna say it's in her best interests to give you a couple of days notice so the place can be tidy for viewing. Too many landlords think they can do what the hell they like because they own the property when, in fact, they can't. It might be a good idea to get landlords to go on a 3 day training course so they're conversant with the laws involved in renting out their property.
  • Options
    This was covered a couple of weeks ago Kermit gave a detailed [rantless] lawyer type response (for a change :p )

Bascially the minute you sign an agreement then your landlord nees to give notice that she would like access. I believe that she is trespassing if she doesn't....