Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

In growing toe nail......yuk

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:grump:

another nice topic from me!

anyone ever had an in growing toe nail?? my friend has got both his big toes and the nails are in growing, hes got big feet! size 13 and has had this problem before but its gone away within a week. hes been suffering for about 3 weeks now.....the skin next to the nail has gone really red and sore. hes going to book an appointment at the doctors but any pain realif ideas?? hes done pain killers and put this feet in the foot spa with some salt. but its still bad.

do you have to get an operation and be off your feet for a few days??? poor guy........:crying:

Comments

• Options
    get some drawing ointments (like lassars paste, i thin its called) and plaster it on the area, then bandage it up. over ight, it will draw out alot of infection+hopefully relieve pain. worked for me b4 my toe op thingy to sort mine out!
  • Options
    Get him to a podiatrist. They can sort the problem out if it's not too severe. If the nails are severely ingrown, then he'll be given the option of having a small operation to remove part of the toe nail so that it grows back correctly instead.

I've had ingrown toe nails for years - sometimes they cause problems, other times they grow normally. It usually helps if I keep my toenails cut straight instead of curved, with about 3mm of nail tip.
  • Options
    try cutting a V shaped piece out of the middle of the nail. works a treat.
  • Options
    a little V Shape?
  • Options
    Sometimes i get it digging into the side of my toe and so does my boyfriend and we kinda cut down the side but you're not meant to which we found out when his got infected :razz: but anyway when he went to the doctors they said your meant to file the top of the nail down and it's meant to grow properly :confused:

Don't see how it works so i stick to my old way but thought i would share that.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

apparantly that's just a myth and is a load of rubbish.

i get an ingrowing toe nail on one of my big toes and i'm always just told to cut my nail properly but i do. when i do cut it it breaks down the edge.

i've had infections and everything but it's alright now really.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    How does that correct the growth of the corners of the nail? To be honest, that sounds totally illogical. :no:
  • Options
    someone suggested it to me and it worked. could be coincidence of course
  • Options
    How does that correct the growth of the corners of the nail? To be honest, that sounds totally illogical. :no:

i think the 'idea' is that the nail grows in towards where the gap (where you cut the V out) is and not the otherway and thus it relieves the pain.

as you can see it's a bit far fetched..
  • Options
    ive had one, got operation on it about 1 month ago - and your not really "off your feet" for a few days, you have a huge bandage and cant wear closed in shoes, but its so much better now then it has been for years :)

operation not painful, very quick - just the injections were the worst pain i have ever felt. (havent had a baby yet lol) but im sure many people dont think its that painful i just cry at any kind of pain lol!

3 weeks isnt very long considering i had mine for about 5 years bfor i did anything about it, but i def think u should see ur podiatrist because operation is worth it
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    i think the 'idea' is that the nail grows in towards where the gap (where you cut the V out) is and not the otherway and thus it relieves the pain.

as you can see it's a bit far fetched..
    Not really.

I get ingrown nails all the time and it works.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Not really.

I get ingrown nails all the time and it works.

your nail isn't going to think 'oooh look naily there's a gap there. lets go that way instead! weeee!'.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    your nail isn't going to think 'oooh look naily there's a gap there. lets go that way instead! weeee!'.
    Well it does.
  • Options
    It would however take the pressure off at the sides though.
  • Options
    he went to doctors they said just wait and see if it goes away........lol