Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Poop!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got a USB memory stick through the post this morning with some mp3s on it, but whenever I try to copy one to my desktop it says 'incorrect parameter'. I'm completely stumped. They don't play straight off the stick either, as windows media palyer says 'cannot play this file' - but they're all there intact!

I have no idea what it could be unless I've managed to break the stick in the few moments I've had it. :mad: Tried to doa disk check and it said 'windows was unable to complete the disk check'. What the hell??

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Could be DOA? Damaged in the post I'd guess.

Return the bastard.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Could it be some new evil update for windows which somehow detects they're illegal and won't play them?
  • Options
    They're not though... they were mp3s on my friends computer and I sent her the stick, and she put them on fine, and I got them and cant get them off of the stick. Will continue trying to chkdsk etc. but it doesn't seem to be working brilliantly...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hmm. Thought it was new, sorry :p

Erm, try formatting it, then sending it back so she can put them on again and post it back? It might have corrupted and need a format. :/

An odd error, definatley.
  • Options
    I'm downloading a data recovery program :thumb: see if that helps. If not she'll do it again, but I don't think she saved teh playlist and spent a good hour transferring relevant music. :p Isn't she lovely? Lol

It may be my fault, when I put it in windows media player was trying to sync with it but the system hung so I pulled it out :p
  • Options
    Was using this:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

it caused an error, tryed retrying, caused it again, tried ignoring, happened again, tryied aborting, crashed the program. Is this the demon USB stick of the apocalypse????
  • Options
    I formatted it and got it accessible, so going to send it back to my friend and do the whole thing over :p. They're just .mp3 files pulled off her CDs though, she put it in, then used windows media player to sync to device... Maybe because my computer is a different one???
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It may be my fault, when I put it in windows media player was trying to sync with it but the system hung so I pulled it out :p
    That might be just it. You're supposed to unmount USB flash disks before pulling them out, and at the very least never do it while data is being transferred.
  • Options
    Normally I do, but the whole computer crashed so.. nevermind aye? :p She'll be able to send it back within a week hopefully!