Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Old people - Just a quick rant....

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I completely understand and agree with you, sophia. I utterly despise any variant of ageism and i cannot understand why some people still generalise to such a despicable extent - i.e. all prejudice is unfounded, and for simplicity's sake, i use "the elderly" all the time when i'mvactually referring to the elderly who do behave like arses, deserving to be prosecuted (naturally to a certain extent)... after all it's in anything goes, not in politics & debate :)

I have to admit that i'm guilty of prejudice and generalising. If i were you, nicx, i would just give the old man a yell back - mutual treatment.

ETA: didn't see the 2nd page :blush:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    sophia wrote:
    I'll leave it now, except to say that I'd be interested to see how the mods respond to the things that have been posted in here.

Who needs mods when we've got you and deep fathom hey Sophia ;)
    Tbh I agree some of the earlier comment were indeed really quite offensive, but I don't really feel the need to add anything too much since I think You've taken them to task pretty well. I'd also say that some of bri-namites comments were valid. (the bit about respecting the fact he doesn't have malicious intent)- but let's be clear on the fact that elderly people are a vulnerable minority and yes it's easy to make them the brunt of cheap gags, but actually I'd like to think that most of us actually have old people in our lives who we respect and cherish. Therefore using Nic's extremely unfortunate experience as an excuse to make, and let's be honest about this, 'over the top' digs at old people does deserve to be questioned.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I know that. Which is why if I'm on the pavement, it's at walking pace, and I'm very considerate

And somebody would be well in their right to complain (if it wasn't a designated path), no matter what speed you're carrying.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    And tbh what about that guy who stepped across in front of me.

It's no different than someone stepping in the road in front of a car. You wouldn't have been to blame.

BUT as with cars, you, the person in control of the potentially lethal machine have to more aware, ie slow down when there are potential hazards and such.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I nearly got run over by a cyclist a few weeks ago because was riding on the pavement. However, where I live there are no cycle paths. (only in places like town are there cycle paths)
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Fucking hell, the views in this thread disgust me, they really do. Do people stop being human beings once they reach a certain age?
    With all due respect, Sofia's absolutely right. Try substituting "old people" for another group - for ease, say "young people" - and you'd think everyone in this thread was being narrow-minded and bigoted.

Nicx, that's not to undermine the fact that in this instance the woman in question was out of line, and she shouldn't have started accusing you of being an inconsiderate young person either - you obviously did the right thing and I think it's really great when people help each other out in an accident instead of screaming at each other so it's cool to hear you called the other woman's insurance co. for her.
  • Options
    :crying: My god, my rant about the mental old lady (who I saw walking down the bike path again today, incidentally, luckily I was in a car) has turned into a full scale battle..... I didn't mean for people to start running out and bashing old people, I'd just like to introduce that one particular mentalist into the 21st century is all.

She bruised my bloody arm as well :o!
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Do people stop being human beings once they reach a certain age?

Yes.

Although most of them weren't human beings before the age of 65, either.