Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

job seekers and p/t work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was on job seekers for a few months, but i've just started a part time teaching job. I was going to call up the job centre to tell them that i need to come off JS, but i was told by a friend since i'm only p/t i may still be entitled. That can't be right surely? I'm earning some thing in the region of £200 p/w!

Comments

• Options
    I don't know a great deal about JSA, but i'd imagine if you're earning £200/week you wouldn't be entitled to it.
  • Options
    I didn't think so, but then i won't be paid for a month and in the mean time i have nothing coming in! I know the government says you need at least £57.50 a week to live on, but surely since i won't be paid for a month i'm technically below the poverty line untill i get paid?
  • Options
    I think you can work up to 16 hours a week and earn up to a certain amount (more than likely it's not as high as £200!) and stay on JSA.
  • Options
    THIS might be of some help.
  • Options
    If you are over 25 and working more than 30 hours a week you may be eligible for working tax credit. If you ring the helpline and give them an estimate of your total earned income before tax / NI from 6th April 06 to 5th April 07 they will be able to give you an idea of whether it would be worth you claiming. I don't know if you live with someone or not as their income will be taken into account. Claims are made as a household you see. You don't have to have children to claim working tax credit.
  • Options
    Why is the age different for men & women?
  • Options
    because men and women traditionally retire at different ages
  • Options
    You are not entitled to claim just because you are working a month in hand! That's how the world works, get used to it!

If you are working x hours for that pay, you are not entitled from the moment you start........
  • Options
    Although Cheesey, that's not true for all benefits. Some benefits have a run-on period after you start work, including Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax benefit, as far as I know. And, there may be others... Also, depending on how long you've been on benefits and what they are there are discretionary payments, things like clothes vouchers to buy smart clothes for interviews and for working and other stuff like £250 non-repayable grants. You should ask to make sure you're not missing out on some help you could be getting!
  • Options
    Well first off, I work for the Inland Revenue and have worked in various departments, and straight away I would reccommend telling the Job Centre what your circumstances are, because if you dont (or if someone 'grasses' on you) you WILL have to pay it back as it constitutes as benefit fraud.

The government dont see ignorance as an excuse, and as the other members have mentioned, you are most likely earning more than sufficient and dont need to be on the benefit.

If you are recieving approx £200 a week, and under 18, say minimum wage at £3.30 p/hour, you'd be working in the region of 60hrs per week. And if your over 18 at minimum wage of £5.35 p/hour your working a 37hour week - TWICE the required amount of hours needed for JSA.

So I'd suggest getting your ass down there asap :thumb:
  • Options
    Well first off, I work for the Inland Revenue and have worked in various departments, and straight away I would reccommend telling the Job Centre what your circumstances are, because if you dont (or if someone 'grasses' on you) you WILL have to pay it back as it constitutes as benefit fraud.

The government dont see ignorance as an excuse, and as the other members have mentioned, you are most likely earning more than sufficient and dont need to be on the benefit.

If you are recieving approx £200 a week, and under 18, say minimum wage at £3.30 p/hour, you'd be working in the region of 60hrs per week. And if your over 18 at minimum wage of £5.35 p/hour your working a 37hour week - TWICE the required amount of hours needed for JSA.

jobsworth!
  • Options

Christ alive! The poor poster was only asking!! Like Katralla said, she may be entitled to a run in period depending on the length of her JSA claim so she starts off on the right foot and doesn't end up in debt while waiting for her first pay cheque. She might also be entitled to working tax credits, her profile states she is 25. If she has been on JSA since April 06 and will only be working from now til April 07 her income may be eliglible. I work for HMRC too btw...theres a couple of us on here ;)
  • Options
    Fair du's 'Joolyknockers'. Im sorry if I came across a bit abrupt, but as Im sure youre aware yourself, its hard to spit the genuine folk from the complete dole-wallers etc lol.

I dont dispute anyone in a reputable situation so good luck to them if they can get Tax Credits (cuz I certainly cant! hehe).
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    I know the government says you need at least £57.50 a week to live on

:crazyeyes

Here the government seems to think an adult only needs £45 a week to live on, and not a penny more