Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Old people - Just a quick rant....

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    olaola wrote:
    yeh about 65, they become economically dependant and are useless to society

I think a few people if not many would find that offensive.
    sophia wrote:
    Some people are complete twats. Why is it acceptable to single out the elderly?

It's not serious.

Everybody knows all old people aren't like that, so why even bother pointing it out?
    But others are just ace.

That's very true, where i use to live was pedominantly old peeps/couples and a lot of them were really nice, and a lot of 'em were cantankerous old wankers :)
    sophia wrote:
    Some people are complete twats. Why is it acceptable to single out the elderly?

I did say 'some' so i wasn't generalising about the older generation.
    its just banter, no one takes it personally.

Old people laugh at themselves "ooh im too old for this" etc when they have birthdays
    The retirement home on the Simpons is just targeted for jokes, its not offensive and its funny, ive never known anyone to complain about that.
    sophia wrote:
    Because it's not funny, it's just outright prejudice.

It's not really, most of the things in this thread are exaggerated for effect.

koe was honest enough to say his family members have had racist views in the past, and let's be honest, a hell of a lot of old people do still seem to think that because they've been around X amount of years then they've got more right to act like absolute arseholes than the rest of us do.

[This is the space where I should put the painfully obvious comment about how not all old people are like that, and how it's wrong to generalise]
    sophia wrote:
    Some people are twats, that's it, so away with the generalisations and the "hilarious" gags, because it's just offensive.

The way I see it, you can spend your life getting offended about shit like this, or you can take it for what it is, and I'm not seeing unjust and deep rooted prejudice here.
    I just see the funny side to things like that really.
    yes im prejudiced, thats what it is....honest.

anyone who will speak to me with respect and politeness will get the same back, i just dont like using the age as a excuse to be nasty and horrible. same goes for kids, ive no time for little bastards either. nice kids..love em.

so all in all, i just dont like fucking horrible people, whether old or not.

maybe you are prejudice for holding my views against me??? haha

ETA: if anyone has a problem with what i have said (mod or not) dont be afraid to PM me and set me straight.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    sophia wrote:
    Oh fair enough, it must just be that i have no sense of humour then rather than you and koe being prejudiced and ignorant. My bad.
    No, you are completely right.

Yes, there are some old people are idiots, but then so are some young people and every other age bracket. Some old people can't drive to save themselves but I would prefer to get in a car with some old people than some young people. Some comments here are just offensive, unfair and completely unjustified.

It's like me going "God, all young people are just fucking tossers."
    sophia wrote:
    Oh fair enough, it must just be that i have no sense of humour then rather than you and koe being prejudiced and ignorant. My bad.

To be honest, yeah (with my post at least)

I think koe's worst crime is generalising, but it's patronising in the extreme to think that everybody who generalises thinks for a second that all old people are like that.

Lighten up, eh?
    shall i start a thread about annoying young people, will that make you feel better?

the op, imo had a right to moan about what happened to her. the offending person just happened to be elderly.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I like old people, if you take the time to listen to them they're generally very intresting. Old people love me because I'm always overly polite when I need to be. If you don't keep the old bastards happy where I live, you get no end of grief.

Get them behind the wheel though, especially on a sunday in the forest and I start getting abusive .
    Weekender Offender 
    No, you are completely right.

Yes, there are some old people are idiots, but then so are some young people and every other age bracket. Some old people can't drive to save themselves but I would prefer to get in a car with some old people than some young people. Some comments here are just offensive, unfair and completely unjustified.

It's like me going "God, all young people are just fucking tossers."

Point out where I said all old people were fucking tossers, or even a post where I haven't mentioned THE FACT THAT I WAS GENERALISING.

Thought not.

Not being funny, but I'd hope people would give me enough respect to realise that I know some young people can be tossers, and I know not all old people are nasty etc, and I wouldn't need to point it out on the off chance that somebody took it far too seriously.

If people are gonna go out of their way to get offended at people generalising, then they're as well switching off the computer and hide under their bed for the next 60 years.
    the op, imo had a right to moan about what happened to her. the offending person just happened to be elderly.

AND said old person made a remark about the OP being young. So there's age discrimination too from an elderly person.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Oh i do that. Bikes go on roads/bike paths people go on pavements, fucking simple.
    it's a fucking cycle path. It's shit the way retard pedestrians can meander all across the whole fucking thing in my way. It'd be my fault if I hit them because they stepped across into my path as well. They're fucking stupid, and I get the blame. Yet the second I go across onto the pedestrian side I'm a menace to society.
    there are old bastards and young bastards age has nothing to do with it imo.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    it's a fucking cycle path. It's shit the way retard pedestrians can meander all across the whole fucking thing in my way.

Fair enough and i whole heartedly agree with you. There's a part of a large path that's a cycle lane near me (the cycle lane is about a fith of the pavement), and people wander all over and tut, swear etc when a bike comes along. It's out of order and it's shit when a piece of land is clearly designated for cycles and people moan about cyclists;

BUT i'm sick and fucking tired of being pushed, tinkled, yelled and sworn out of the way by fucking asshole cyclists ilegally storming down the pavement, where there's no cycle lane, at stupid speeds.

If people have a problem with cars and traffic, report offenders, write to your council/MP about traffic calming measures, but they should keep their bloody bike where it should be, in a cycle lane or on the road.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    it's a fucking cycle path. It's shit the way retard pedestrians can meander all across the whole fucking thing in my way. It'd be my fault if I hit them because they stepped across into my path as well. They're fucking stupid, and I get the blame. Yet the second I go across onto the pedestrian side I'm a menace to society.

I think you may of mis read my post, i'm not saying this old lady had grounds for what she said. The OP was on a cycle path, so she (the OP) was in the right.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yet the second I go across onto the pedestrian side I'm a menace to society.

Too fucking right you are.
    The second any potentially lethal vehicle mounts a pedestrian path you are a menace.
    Weekender Offender 
    I know the pavement is not my place, and when i feel compelled to use it because to not would result in my death I fully give way and give space to pedestrains. And no, i do not dismount because I take up twice as much space and am half as manoverable walking my bike than riding it, I also tell my council to do something about the fucking mainiac drivers and the lack of a cycle lane. But when it's a cycle path and I have to slam on the breaks at the bottom of the hill because you can't fucking walk in a straight line you deserve the broken leg you're going to get sooner or later, and it is not my fault, in fact, it'd probably hurt me just as much and wreck my bike as well.

ETA: No-one ever has the right to get violent with me. That's called vigilanty action, shyboy defended a paedo from the same behaviour. When I'm doing what's legal, and if not what is safer than most people with their prams and shopping baskets and those ass-wank motorised scooters, you can keep your hands off me, I don't care if your 18 or 80.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    The OP was on a cycle path, so she (the OP) was in the right.

Let me get this straight, the OP was right not the OAP? :D
    Weekender Offender 
    Fiend would you complain about being fined for riding on the pavement?
    Weekender Offender 
    No. If a police officer could ever be bothered to stop me and fine me then fine. Whatever. It's the way it goes, I'd be picking between being splattered against someone's windscreen and the unlikely event of being fined for riding on the pavement anyway. Fortunatley in lufs there are a lot of cycle paths and lanes, so I'm almost universally annoyed with people walking in my way, or even stepping into the cycle lane in the road without looking. I had that just this morning and had to break hard to avoid hitting him and he didn't even notice. I tend to stay off pavements because pedestrians hold me up and I want to go home, or get to my lecture or whatever.
    I've been fined for riding on the pavement. £40 I think it was. At the time I felt it was unreasonable but since I have almost been knocked down and have seen a a lady get knocked down by cyclists so my opinion has changed.

There is a reason why it's illegal, and that's because a bike is potentially lethal for pedestrians.
    Weekender Offender 
    I know that. Which is why if I'm on the pavement, it's at walking pace, and I'm very considerate, but this whole thread was about some self-rightous arsehole complaining about a bike being where it should be.

And tbh what about that guy who stepped across in front of me. There's a line of cars, that a stationary, and a marked cycle lane in the road, he just wants to get past people who are walking slower, but he steps right in my path, had I been going faster, or had my breaks failed I would have had to pick between hitting him and hitting a car. Where's his fucking £40 fine? Where's his insurance to cover damage to my bike? No, it's my problem, not his despite him being in a world of his own. No doubt he'd have been a complete asshole who if I had hit he would have tried to sue for compensation. And that happens every day, to and from campus, some idiot on the cycle path texting or listening to music just not paying attention and acting all put out when a bike exists.
    Skive wrote:
    Let me get this straight, the OP was right not the OAP? :D

Don't. Life confuses me enough as it it :D
    How horrible of her!

I would have thrown a wobbly.