Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Missing out

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Isn't that just luffs in general?
    Just had my first lecture, tried talking to several different people but they all already had friends and kind of didn't include me in the conversation :( disaster!!

Though was walking down the corridor and said hi to this guy I started talking to about how interesting the number 1,729 is when he was waiting in a queue and I was slightly drunk.
    so what if they didn't involve you in the conversation, you should've involved yourself. they probably thought you weren't interested.
    I kept asking them questions, like whether they were doing a combined course and stuff, but the seating was as follows

A - B - Me

And B was facing A, so it was hard to get a word in. I spoke to someone else later on and we had a chat but then he had to go, and I didnt seem to click with anyone. I've been alright in social situations (bars, kitchens) just in the lecture hall... seemed like everyone had gone with 'a friend'. Poopsickle.

I've met this nice lass tho and am trying to see if I can get rid of this nasty woman in my accomodation replaced with her :D
    I know exactly what you mean mate its been like that in my lectures as well.
    I've just been trying to latch on to people in my seminar group on the way in and sit with them..
    :|

Don't have any seminars until term 2. Before then I have tutorial sessions!! Which is either 1 on 1 or 2 on 1.

I will have to start talking outside the lecture hall, yea... I saw a girl outside that I spoke to for 5 minutes and she asked me to walk her somewhere jokily so I did but then you could tell when she was saying 'you dont have to walk me you know' that she wanted to get rid of me. Cheek of it.
    are you sure you weren't just being paranoid?
    Probably because (I realise I am generalising here) physicists are weedy geeks who don't get out much so are lightweights!

:eek: My best friend is a physicist and he puts away more alcohol in a night than I do in a term! And I have other physicist friends, none of whom are weedy lightweight geeks... but they're not exactly hardworking either.
    Maybe it's just ours then. They do 6 9am starts a week, which can't help.
    I don't talk to anyone in the lecture theatre. Seems like a pretty sad place to make friends if ya ask me. Tutorials are alright because it's more personal and you sorta have to talk to people. Other than that, just being out at clubs and shit.
    are you sure you weren't just being paranoid?

Well, when they're walking a few feet ahead of you and looking at their phone constantly and not talking to you and then saying 'you dont have to walk me if you dont want to' even I get the hint :p.
    You'll meet some wicked people,you joined any societies? it is really tough to begin with, altho i lived in halls it was private and in a 4 bed flat . I'm good friends with the girls I lived with but most of my friends are from other areas (course, nights out etc) that said I loved living in private halls. I could sleep whenever i wanted in the day without being woken up. :p
    I'm very tempted to join the uni newspaper :) and one or two others possibly! Computer society if there is one.
    definitely join clubs and societies - thats where i met some of my good friends. other than that you do just have to keep trying, eventually you'll find people you click with. it doesnt happen straight away unless you're lucky. and even if it looks like people already have set friendship groups or whatever, go and talk to them anyway, i dont see why they wouldnt include you! my frienship group, if you want to call it that, waas quite small to start with but gradually we all started talking to more people and it just grew. itll be fine :)
    Got a dialogue going with two lads today standing outside my lecture, had to keep barraging them with questions, just think they were both ridiculously shy. The fact we were all freezing to death didn't help matters either.

Sorry, I'm turning thesite into my personal blog. :p That's why I need a newspaper column, to rant about crap!
    icey wrote:
    I feel like im missing out quite a bit by not living in halls. :crying:
    Everyone else ive spoken to seems to have developed these great friendships already with people they either live with or share their hall with and i'm just finding it quite hard to make conversation with people because we dont really have much in common. After the initial "hi im so and so whats you name/what course are you on/where are you living" ive got nothing to say after this...

Yeah you're missing out loads but on good and bad stuff.

Like spending the night freezing outside the halls in your PJ's cos someone set off the fire alarm (actually that's a good thing depends on what the girls in halls have on :thumb: )

Flat mates that play heavy metal at 2am

The Irish Girl that lives inthe flat below you screaming "Oh My God" every single day at 4am
    I feel the same. By the 3rd day most of the guys and girls had gone quite cliqué - y and it's nigh on impossible to make conversation with people who are just interested in themselves and the people in their groups.
    Hard partying theoretical physicists?

You won't find many of them, sorry mate! Best bet is to find other friends, it';s not a piece of piss, you will have to try!

you would be supprised.

I graduated with a physics degree this year, while there are those who are complete stereotypical social retards, the majority of my course were fun loving outgoing people, and we did indeed party hard... :p

never mind the fact that one of the best freinds I made at uni, not only was he studying physics, but also played for the university's hocky first team and was hence a rather heavy drinker :lol:

so don't judge people by their course till you get to know them
    I do know plenty, that's what it was based on! Although if you keep reading you will see that I do acknowledge that it may be more appropriate to my uni.
    Replicant wrote:

so don't judge people by their course till you get to know them

indeed.

my ex boyfriend did maths and computing at university and is now a fully fledged maths teacher. and he's not a geek at all. come the weekend he's watching/playing football and drinking beer like the rest of them. ;)

when my sister met her boyfriend of 4 years he told her he was a sports science student (he was at luff so it was believeable) but really he was an engineering student. she wouldn't have been bothered either way but sometimes people can judge you on the course you do.
    sometimes people can judge you on the course you do.

Yep, same at college as well as Uni's. Beauty/Hairdressing are all whores, with no brains in their bleach blonde heads of course :rolleyes:. Same as the theory around here that all Sports science are geeks, the Art students are all Emo/depressed..... it's a load of rubbish.

I do find though, it's mainly people who aren't at the college (e.g people who left school to work, or go to their schools sixth form) who generalise (not that theres anyhting wrong with what they chose to do after school!)
    when people ask me what i'm studying an uni and i say criminology and social policy, they tend to assume i'm really clever. i'm happy with that. :thumb:
    I met an irish girl studying that... you're not in house C in Eden's Court, York University are you? :p
    I met an irish girl studying that... you're not in house C in Eden's Court, York University are you? :p

no, believe it or not there are more than 1 uni doing that degree. :p

i'm at lincoln uni. :)
    no, believe it or not there are more than 1 uni doing that degree. :p

i'm at lincoln uni. :)

Really?? Ah well, long shot :p
    when people ask me what i'm studying an uni and i say criminology and social policy, they tend to assume i'm really clever. i'm happy with that. :thumb:
    really? i thought criminology was seen as a doss subject.. along with psychology. and most people don't really understand what social policy is about anyway.

when i tell people i did french theyre like 'oh really :crazyeyes i hated french at school! or the boys say 'can you speak french to me ;) and try to impress me with the one phrase they know.
    lipsy wrote:
    really? i thought criminology was seen as a doss subject.. along with psychology. and most people don't really understand what social policy is about anyway.

i've never heard of it being seen as a doss subject! most people tend to think it must be quite interesting but they generally assume it's all forensic detective stuff but it's not. eta: i can assure you it's not a doss subject at all. :(

media tends to be seen as a dossers subject from what i know. i live with a few media production students and i do take the piss (they're all 3rd years and 1 of them had to ask me how to take out a library book the other day!). they do work hard, it's just more of their work is practical and they don't spend a lot of time in the library.
    Chem Eng seems to be thought of as more than a little strange, and ridiculously hard work.... :chin:
    Chem Eng seems to be thought of as more than a little strange, and ridiculously hard work.... :chin:

chemical engineering makes me think of people in lab coats who are quite clever.