Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Old people - Just a quick rant....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So there I am, riding my bike quite happily into town to pick up a book, when some old biddy grabs my arm and shouts:

"It's illegal to ride on the pavements you know!!! I could call the police, bloody young people, no consideration, useless!"

Oh yes madam? Well, I'm sorry but let go of my arm, wake up and introduce yourself to 2006, maybe then you'll stop walking on the BIKE PATH :mad:

And then, I travel a bit further to discover a car accident. A college friend is in one of the cars, crying her eyes out, and the woman in the other car is in a right dither. I secure my bike to the fence (still on the bike path here!) and jump over to help.... and about 20 minutes later the same old bat walks past, down the bike path...

"I THOUGHT I'D TOLD YOU! Someone could trip and hurt themselves on this, HAVE YOU NO CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS?!! Selfish and stupid the youth of today, you should think of others madam!"

Gah! Think of others?! I'm on the phone to some strangers insurance company trying to explain whats happened because she's in shock and I'm tyring to guide traffic on a main road roundabout around the accident so my friend's car, with her injured in it doesn't get hit and I'M SELFISH?!!! GAHHHHH! I normally have a lot of respect for old people, but GAHHHHHH!

Rant over.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't quite know what to say :p Hope your friend is okay though.

Sounds a much more eventful day than mine has been anyway.
    squeal wrote:
    I don't quite know what to say :p Hope your friend is okay though.

And me. She seemed OK, but she'd smacked her head/neck pretty hard and couldn't stand or walk properly, so I forced her into an ambulance (with another friend, who luckily worked just down the road and came running up). :)
    nicx1811 wrote:
    So there I am, riding my bike quite happily into town to pick up a book, when some old biddy grabs my arm and shouts:

"It's illegal to ride on the pavements you know!!! I could call the police, bloody young people, no consideration, useless!"

Oh yes madam? Well, I'm sorry but let go of my arm, wake up and introduce yourself to 2006, maybe then you'll stop walking on the BIKE PATH :mad:

And then, I travel a bit further to discover a car accident. A college friend is in one of the cars, crying her eyes out, and the woman in the other car is in a right dither. I secure my bike to the fence (still on the bike path here!) and jump over to help.... and about 20 minutes later the same old bat walks past, down the bike path...

"I THOUGHT I'D TOLD YOU! Someone could trip and hurt themselves on this, HAVE YOU NO CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS?!! Selfish and stupid the youth of today, you should think of others madam!"

Gah! Think of others?! I'm on the phone to some strangers insurance company trying to explain whats happened because she's in shock and I'm tyring to guide traffic on a main road roundabout around the accident so my friend's car, with her injured in it doesn't get hit and I'M SELFISH?!!! GAHHHHH! I normally have a lot of respect for old people, but GAHHHHHH!

Rant over.
    What an idiot.
    that's pretty crap
    Fucking old people, I wouldn't be sad if 90% of them left the planet. The only consolation is that she'll be dead soon :yippe:
    there goes that typical old peoples view of young people again.

and they wonder why theres such a divide between cultures eh :rolleyes:
    Kermit wrote:
    Fucking old people, I wouldn't be sad if 90% of them left the planet. The only consolation is that she'll be dead soon :yippe:

You might be like that one day !!
    What, dead? Nah.
    I saw some old guy to a similar thing, except he outright tried to push some guy off his bike.
    You should've thrown your bike at her.
    typical old people.

the majority of old people are ignorant and they think the youth are the problem.

also find a lot of old people racist and opinionated...

they think they've earned the right to be however they want, without respect for others.

fuck em.
    It is however illegal to ride your bike on the pavement - I think sometimes people who ride bikes dont' realise how dangerous they are to pedestrians - my great aunt was knocked over and killed by someone riding a bycycle.

Having said that it is of course terrible that your friend had an accident and stuff and that person was obviously very insensitive.
    ^It was a bike path - they're clearly marked on the path with white lines.

I'd have had a go back at her, told her where to shove her opinion. :lol:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    sophia wrote:
    Sorry to be an old fart, but I find some of the stuff that's been said in this thread pretty offensive tbh, especially koe's post. Isn't there something slightly strange and hypocritical about young people complaining that people prejudge and stereotype them according to their age, and then proceeding to do the exact same thing about elderly people? Why is it acceptable to slag off "old people" as though they're some homogenous group who are all out to make young people's lives a misery, when you would object to any post that attempted to demonise "the youth of today"?

Newsflash: Some people are twats; young, old, whatever. You get arseholes in every social group. I know plenty of lovely elderly people who aren't racist, who don't think they don't have to treat others with respect, etc.
    :yes:

Hope your friend's ok, Nicx. And I was wondering if you actually said all that to the woman rather than just think it.
    obviously some old people are bastards, same as plenty of young people are.
    In general I :heart: old people though.
    koe_182 wrote:
    typical old people.

the majority of old people are ignorant and they think the youth are the problem.

also find a lot of old people racist and opinionated...

they think they've earned the right to be however they want, without respect for others.

fuck em.

valid points, nothing offensive about that.

My opinion of people is that there all ok... when there put in a home
    i like to generalise, its a nice outlet for myself.

i still stand by what i say.

they tend to think their views are still correct even tho most of them dont apply to society anymore.

im not gonna be two faced, my grandma "didnt like darkies" till the day she died. most of my older relatives and their friends think the same.

i also find they demand respect without giving any in return. i dont think thats any way to be.

there are a few level headed oldies out there.
    i hope you said something to the old lady. i would've done.
    For lucifer and Indrid: No I didn't say those exact words to her that were in my thread. The first time (when she grabbed my arm) I just looked at her in shock, but when she had a go at the accident, I just said, rather loudly "My bike is the least of our worries right now dont you think?" (if you'd seen the roundabout, and roughly where they were you'd see in an instant it was possibly the worst place ever to decide to crash your car, especially since it links several main roads up)

I've realised how bad I sound saying "bloody old people" though, I would have reacted the same if the person giving me shit was any age, I think her being old and obviously being oblivious to bike paths (despite it being bright orange, and smaller than the grey pavement running next to it, so it didn't take up any of her walking room had she chose to walk in the right place), and blaming me for being young got to me though. I've accepted she was just a silly cow though, old or young.
    Kermit wrote:
    The only consolation is that she'll be dead soon :yippe:

As terrible as it is, that made me laugh uncontrollably, even though I know I shouldn't. It's been one of those weeks though :o I'll punish myself for laughing later.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I saw some old guy to a similar thing, except he outright tried to push some guy off his bike.

Oh i do that. Bikes go on roads/bike paths people go on pavements, fucking simple.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I've realised how bad I sound saying "bloody old people" though,

Why ? Some of them are complete twats, and think they can get away with what the hell they like with just because they're old and couldn't get a banana in the war.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Why ? Some of them are complete twats, and think they can get away with what the hell they like with just because they're old and couldn't get a banana in the war.

But others are just ace.

My grandmother and David's grandmother are the best old people in the world. When I am their age I would like to be like one of them.

It's just that whole generalisation thing that narks people off. It sucks.
    RubberSkin wrote:

Damn fucking right.

If I was in charge, old people should have to sit a competency test when they hit a certain age, and if the don't get the pass mark (99%) then they just get put in a home.

The ones who do pass should all be banned from town centres at the weekend and during lunchtime hours during the week. You could introduce a pensioners ASBO type thing, with electronic tagging etc.

Fed up of them in Tesco holding up the queue ("Och now let me see what I've got in my purse!" whilst emptying a shitload of coppers onto the conveyer belt) and I'm fed up of them getting in the way in the street.

You do get some nice ones (my Granny was fucking cool), but zero tolerance is the way ahead.
    sophia wrote:
    Some people are complete twats. Why is it acceptable to single out the elderly?

old people are terrible at driving aswell
    some old people i serve at work are lovely but then some are so rude. i had an old lady during the summer who tried to give me 50p for helping her with her packing. i of course declined but i thought it was so sweet.

however i clearly would've twatted the old lady in the op's story. ;)
    yeh about 65, they become economically dependant and are useless to society