Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Disney world usa. any tips?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
hiya,

im going to disney in jan for 2 weeks. mainly staying in disney but also going to sea world and a few other places. anyone got any advice for disney??

im getting a pal mickey when i get there (tour guide sort of thing) that should help for que times and pointing out good rides. :thumb:

anything i should buy before i go?? let me know cheers
:yippe:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm going in 3 weeks :hyper:

Deffinatly epcot, seaworld, universal studios, mgm, animal kingdom, magic kingdom....do them all basically, especially as i take it it's the first time?

Pal mickeys probably aren't that essential. It's really easy to get about, lots of park maps and signs and stuff.

Dunno about what to take, a warm jacket as it'll be a bit colder in january. But i don't know how cold it will get. I've been at the begining of march before and it was roasting!
    Are you staying in a Disney Hotel or on International Drive?
    staying in all stars hotel .......got a 14 day ticket for all the disney bits and sea world.
    i think in the all stars hotel you get a coach to the parks? its my birthday while im over there ......not sure what im going to do for it...wonder if theres anything speacial i could do . we already booked rainforest resturant one night and arbrain nights dinner for another night.
    staying in all stars hotel .......got a 14 day ticket for all the disney bits and sea world.
    i think in the all stars hotel you get a coach to the parks? its my birthday while im over there ......not sure what im going to do for it...wonder if theres anything speacial i could do . we already booked rainforest resturant one night and arbrain nights dinner for another night.

Yeah there will be a bus stop outside the hotel which will take you to whatever park you want to go to.

I wasn't too impressed by the food at the rainforest cafe it was pretty basic but the decorations and that are nice which is what you go for. Just remember that its very expensive eating inside the parks, you get much more for your money down International Drive.

Will you be there during Halloween?
    nah im going in january. so will miss the halloween action. shame.
    i know i got ages till i go really 80 days 16 hours .......

what kind of stuff is down international drive i wanna go some where good for my birthday. we will have a hire car so can travel a bit.
    nah im going in january. so will miss the halloween action. shame.
    i know i got ages till i go really 80 days 16 hours .......

what kind of stuff is down international drive i wanna go some where good for my birthday. we will have a hire car so can travel a bit.

Just lots of resaurants and tourist shops etc. Very busy though traffic wise but it's just a long street with lots to see.

Are you going to Discovery Cove?
    discovery cove ? wheres that. if its in disney prob yeah.

only place were not going is busch gardens?? i think thats how you spell it.
    discovery cove ? wheres that. if its in disney prob yeah.

only place were not going is busch gardens?? i think thats how you spell it.

It's where you swim with dolphins and lots of fish etc. I think you have to book in advance though and its over £100 but its worth it :D
    oh right, i cant swim to well. boyfriend might like it he likes stuff like that. when we went to oz he did some swimming with dolphins.

animal kingdom looks like my kind of thing ......i love animals. im so excited no idea what im going to do first!
    im going to disney in jan for 2 weeks.

Reminds self of Victoria Woods 'Huge arse at Disney World' Sketch :D
    ???? you what?? never heard of that.
    anyone got any advice for disney??

Go round the park anti-clockwise. Most peeps go clockwise round a park, so if you're there early you should be able to get on some rides quite quick. Try to get on the big rides first, at the start of the day, as they're the ones that the queues fill the quickest and longest.

I've been to Disneyland Paris, and gotta admit Space Mountain is a cracking rollercoaster. :)
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Go round the park anti-clockwise. Most peeps go clockwise round a park, so if you're there early you should be able to get on some rides quite quick. Try to get on the big rides first, at the start of the day, as they're the ones that the queues fill the quickest and longest.

I've been to Disneyland Paris, and gotta admit Space Mountain is a cracking rollercoaster. :)

Oh yeah and go on the rock and roll rollercoaster that is good stuff !!
    anyone been on that new ride? everest??
    anyone been on that new ride? everest??

Apparently it is shit. A friend goes over there alot and him and his wife like to go on all the rides and waited for ages for it to be built and they were pretty gutted by it, but everyone things different so you might enjoy it.
    squeal wrote:
    but everyone things different so you might enjoy it.

Like Hex at Alton Towers, so many peeps say it's crap, but if you get into the swing of it, literally, it's rather a good ride.
    might sound stupid, but plan things!! i havent been for years but the couple of times i went with my family, we bought a book that listed the rides and attractions and shows etc and worked out which ones we wanted to go on and then worked out a kind of plan. i know it sounds a bit much, but theres just so much to see and do at every park so i think its better to make sure you actually get to go on the things you want to rather than spending the whole day wandering round doing bits here and there.
    How old are you and are you hiring a car?

Because its bloody difficlut to get anywhere without one.

It won't be that warm in january - so definatly take a light waterproof jacket - I went in december and it rained quite a bit though we did have some nice days but mostly you need to wear a jumper.

International Drive is a bit crap.

Definatley book in advance and plan which rides you want to go on - though in january it probably won't be that buzy. TBH i think you've probably wasted your money buying a 14 day pass (Unless yoru planning on returning later in the year) - you can do each of the parks in a day and i've never felt the urge to return to any of them and there is SOOOO much more to see other than just theme parks.

Ohhhhh though one thing I totally want to do but i am going to have to kidnap a child to be able to do it is a sleeep over at sea world - there is one where you wake up in the manatee encloseure with manatees swimming all over your heads and another one where you camp out on the beach at discovery cove.

Non - disney/theme park related things to do are: Go to the florida Mall and the outlet mall. Go horse riding my firend went and said it was great - some place called forever florider.

Go to Long boat Key & Sarasota - the water is amazing and you get to see Mantees in their natural environment, the shuttle lanching site - though i was once there when the shuttle launched and you could see it from I drive, Daytona Beach and St Augustine.

Oh and i forgot the mavelous wonder that is Celebration - its the disney town and its great - good for an evenign out as there are lots of nice restaurants by the lake and you can gawp at all the people who live there.

Mmm and you have to go to the red lobster and the cracker barrel and the IHOP and the waffle house - oh and i went to that disney evening entertainment place and it was OKish but nothing special the cuban food was particually uninspiring.
    14 days pass wasted! lol its my first time i will want to atleast go on the rides twice! i think i will be ok with the pass its for sea world too and adventure ireland??? i think thats whats it called. im not really fussy about food so i will be ok for that meal thing. my boyfriend will be driving hes 24 and been to florida before.
    we will travel outside disney but not really far. would like to go to a beach or something.

it will be great what ever the weather i cant wait to leave england!!!
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Like Hex at Alton Towers, so many peeps say it's crap, but if you get into the swing of it, literally, it's rather a good ride.

Hex is great :D

(I have nothing constructive to offer about Disney Florida, as I've only been to the Paris one, so I thought I'd just mention something completely irrelevent)
    If I were you Id pass on Sea world.. its really not THAT interesting. Youll be the only people over 10 and under 60. Epcot is pretty cool but I recommend bringing a good amount of money when you go there because a lot of it is shopping. Discovery cove is alright too. you dont need to be a good swimmer, its only like 6 feet deep. And you can go there without doing the swim with the dolphins part which would make it cheaper. they also serve lunch there which is surprisingly delicious!

and IHOP!?!? do not go there.. its yuck, just yuck.

Yeah but it is still over £100 to go to DC and only an extra £20 to swim with dolphins so you may as well do it.
    Violette wrote:
    buy a SERIOUSLY GOOD poncho cuz you are going to get pissed on.
    probably whilst watching a parade.

haha! i second that. we speak from experience.

and girlinthecurl...IHOP is yum!!

at disneyworld dont queue two hours for the peter pan ride. its crap. :)
    oh man... nobody around here actually eats at IHOP. its one of those places you will eat at if you have to.. but Id never actually choose it out of all the other options.

Its good if you like hair :yes: :yum:

Though on the topic, Red Lobster and Cracker Barrell are no better. (Well a little, but not much)

Eat at Disney. I like to eat at Epcot. (Especially in the French section) Check out a 4D show too. They may be childish and silly, but I always enjoyed them. Entertaining, and if its a hot day, its nice and airconditioned.
    what is IHOP???
    what is IHOP???

International House of Pancakes.
    so the pancake place is no good???

anyone heard of this marathon thing going on in january..........looks like we might have to go to MGM studios to advoid the runners.
    The goofey marathon - I think its only on for 2 days though - its a half marathon one day and a full marathon the next. If you do both you get to have your picture taken with goofey.

I dont' think it will be that warm on the beach but the gulf cost might be OK but definatly don't count on the atlantic coast to be warm.

IHOP is funny - but yes not haute cuisine - I won't hear a word said against the red lobster though - its great! Ohh and the waffle house near disney - go west at the end of the disney highway - has really freaky staff.

At sea world before the shamu show they play this reallly awful film about US soldiers and how great they are and ask them all to stand up and be clapped - i found it so offensive i almost left - except for the fact i would have then looked like a soldier to be clapped - i won't be visiting any of the Busch family attractions again. However you do get to pet the dolphins in the dolpin area if you dont' want to go swimming with them and therefore incurr extra cost.
    cool..........

a load of people said it will rain in january but i heard in january other there its very unlikely to rain!!!

ummmmmmmmm .....i might just take a rain coat just incase
    cool..........

a load of people said it will rain in january but i heard in january other there its very unlikely to rain!!!

ummmmmmmmm .....i might just take a rain coat just incase

There will probably be a reduced chance of rain away from the summer months, but I still wouldn't be suprised if there were a shower in the late afternoon. I wouldn't worry about taking a raincoat as you can buy funky cool yellow disney ones from the parks and resorts for cheap. i remember when I went everyone was wearing one while a huge storm was going on. Funky Micky Mouse umbrella's too!
    sounds fun i might get one if it rains there then. i guess its not worth worrying about.