Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Personal statement..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just filling in my ucas...but i have no idea how to start? Like what opening paragraph etc..im crap at getting the ball rolling! Helppp! please =D {G}
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My interest in....... started when...... and witter about the degree.

Then a paragraph about each of your A Level subjects and why they're good, then a paragraph about extra curric, then a final ending one.
    My interest in....... started when...... and witter about the degree.

Then a paragraph about each of your A Level subjects and why they're good, then a paragraph about extra curric, then a final ending one.

good advice.

try to make it sound like you've persued the subject area outside of school (especially if you haven't.)

also to be honest unless you're off to oxbridge or bristol or somewhere like that, most people aren't going to read it that closely. it's your money they want, not you. harsh but true.
    Without wishing to sound big headed, I managed to produce one that (alongside my academic record) got me offers from some top uni's so if you want any more advice sing out. What are you applying for?
    thanks =D so far ive managed to acheive me sounding like a massive loser but it's all good! just struggling with coming up with some crap extra curicular activity malarky as i possibly do nothing!!

I want to do English..x
    You should have seen mine, I'd put it up for you but I seem to have lost all copies. Extra curricular wise, books yo've read outside your A level (or whatever ) syllabus, ever written for a school mag/newsletter, seen any good theatre/acted in it/written/directed?

I know it's really obvious, but make sure your spelling, punctuation etc is really good, and that you've not missed words out.
    ive just dont mine......

show off........tell them about everything you have done that could be of any interest to them, like if your musical, acted, speak another language, any special talents. Anything which stands you out from the crown like you were a prefect orrr in the college student union group thingy.

Basically really show them what youve got

as for first paragraph - this is the most important bit - it is the first bit they read and if its boring and naff they wont want to read the rest so therefore will automatically think it will be bad. have something imaginative there, why you like your subject so much.

Use good vocab especially if your doing english, swallow a thesauras, excellent grammer, no mistakes.

explain why you want to do you course and your career aspirations in the last paragraph.

and you shud be fine :)

good luck, and remember to get a variety of your college lecturers to check it and that you havent missed anything important out.
    look here http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=98407&highlight=personal+statement

I attached mine and a friends own personal statement and IMO it's probably the most completel thread on the subject.
    this is what ive got so far, the _____ is what im unsure to write about!

Since I was young I have always had a keen and passionate interest in the English Language, since I could read for myself and even before when I was read to. I find it fascinating how a writer can manipulate people’s thoughts and emotions just through the sentences they string together. As a child I was always reading, and as I’ve got older my range of genres has developed into a range of none fiction and fiction styles from all different time periods, therefore allowing me to thrive off not only the language side of English, but literature too.

One part of the English language course that I find particularly interesting is Language Change. This keen interest in the sector has led me to work around it in many of my subject areas, especially the English subject itself when piecing together my AS coursework. I decided to create an analytical report comparing archaic advertisements with a more modern advertisement for the same type of product.

Another course that vastly interests me is Literature and Film _______________

At A Level I am studying English Language, ICT and Health & Social Care ______________

ICT is a particularly useful subject, as alongside English it would benefit me greatly if I decided to follow a path into a career in the media or marketing and advertising, which is something I am strongly considering, as is following a path in teaching.

I am particularly attracted to the English subject as I enjoy like the fact that I can express my own thoughts and opinions down on paper, and develop them as I go along.

The choice for my courses revolves around the English subject, as this is the core subject that I particularly enjoy as I get to express my own thoughts and opinions, as well as criticizing and comparing pieces of work, and get to develop ideas as I go along.
    Gucci2 wrote:
    this is what ive got so far, the _____ is what im unsure to write about!

Since I was young I have always had a keen and passionate interest in the English Language, since I could read for myself and even before when I was read to. I find it fascinating how a writer can manipulate people’s thoughts and emotions just through the sentences they string together. As a child I was always reading, and as I’ve got older my range of genres has developed into a range of none fiction and fiction styles from all different time periods, therefore allowing me to thrive off not only the language side of English, but literature too.

One part of the English language course that I find particularly interesting is Language Change. This keen interest in the sector has led me to work around it in many of my subject areas, especially the English subject itself when piecing together my AS coursework. I decided to create an analytical report comparing archaic advertisements with a more modern advertisement for the same type of product.

Another course that vastly interests me is Literature and Film _______________why are you applying for more than one course? It'd be better if you could amalgmate your love for both courses without explicitly saying that you're applying both. It will make admissions wonder if you're really all that committed, obviously, why should they take you who is only half interested when they can take someone who says their whole life is consumed with it

At A Level I am studying English Language, ICT and Health & Social Care ______________maybe you should just combine these two paragraphs because they can see from the rest of your form what you're studying. Talk about your skills, and what you've learned.

ICT is a particularly useful subject, as alongside English it would benefit me greatly if I decided to follow a path into a career in the media or marketing and advertising, which is something I am strongly considering, as is following a path in teaching.

I am particularly attracted to the English subject as I enjoy like the fact that I can express my own thoughts and opinions down on paper, and develop them as I go along.

The choice for my courses revolves around the English subject, as this is the core subject that I particularly enjoy as I get to express my own thoughts and opinions, as well as criticizing and comparing pieces of work, and get to develop ideas as I go along.

see above comments

It's better if you write MORE than you need and cut it back. For the record. My original personal statement was twice as long as the one that's attached to the thread i linked to...
    I'd second fiend, you need to make it sound like you are passionate about what the statements about, if you're applying for more than one kind of course then you'll have to merge it. You've always loved english, especially the change in language and one of the ways this manifests itself is in film and media or something like that.

Like you've started doing, say why your ICT and health and social care will help you with your degree. Specify some books you're keen on and why you're interested in them.

Do you do any extra curricular stuff that shows you can time manage/work with other people/have different skills? A paragraph about them would be good.
    and witter about the degree.

the degrees im applying for are so different i'm screwed, how do you combine politics and history with SURFING!
    yup im applying for surf science and technology at Plymouth! (full honours)
    its my dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I guess you write it so your academic interests are politics and history and surfing is your main hobby. If we're realistic the guys at Plymouth are going to know that you will be applying for other courses because I think theirs is the only one on that in the ocuntry.
    I guess you write it so your academic interests are politics and history and surfing is your main hobby. If we're realistic the guys at Plymouth are going to know that you will be applying for other courses because I think theirs is the only one on that in the ocuntry.

yeah it is but im worried that other uni's won't take me seriously but if i get my first choice i'll be over the moon!
    In your case I'd suggest ringing up admissions at that dept at Plymouth, explaining that because they are the only ones you will be applying to other courses so your personnal statement will be a bit of a challenge. They may let you write a separate letter to them to go alongside your application, but it's worth talking to them direct.
    ah i like that its worth a try, cheers!
    :thumb: