Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

GUM Clinic treated me and boyfriend like rubbish

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi,

about a month ago i started getting a strange colour discharge, now i have had thrush before and i am right in saying its not a STI? me and my boyfriend have been together 5 years and have been totally faithful and i 100% trust him. so i went to the doctor said i think its thrush......it would be a 3 weeks wait to make sure it was thrush and for it too be treated. so i went to my local hospital my doctor told me i would get a tested for it sooner there. so i went....... got asked lots of questions had test for thrush but they also pushed other tested on me...and because i thought i might aswell get it all done now. i was then told i might have clymidia < sorry i dont know how to spell it> well i was then told it was an STI and it can only be by having unprotected sex with other people! i said .......no we havnt slept with other people they said ........yes... and they kept saying you bf has slept with someone else then!
so he came to same tests to prove it! i was so angry they asked him some questions and asked "have you slept with other people" he said no and they said ......theres something you not telling me......and was rude and kept on and on at him!

im sorry but why do people have to think the worst of other and not believe sometimes that you can both be faithful.
the test results are not back yet......and im sure i just got thrush! but i wouldnt want to be judged by a GUM clinic again! :mad:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sorry, but if this was me id complain to the head of the department at the hospital. that isnt on at all!! did you get this doctors name. they're meant to deal with any issue, but especially private ones like these, without personl opinion!!!
    Yeah i agree, i would write and complain, they should keep their opinions to themselves.

If you have to go to the hospital to get the results or talk to them about it then ask for some details of where you can write to complain and who treated you.
    yeah i got some names i was so angry. i went tues and boyfriend just went today. so yes i will complain.
    i am right then i can get thrush without sleeping with other people! i hate people thinking the worst of me and my boyfriend! doesnt anyone believe in love and trust anymore!
    im sure you can get thrush without sleeping with another person, as its a yeast infection. he shouldnt have implied that your bf was not faithful
    yeah i got some names i was so angry. i went tues and boyfriend just went today. so yes i will complain.
    i am right then i can get thrush without sleeping with other people! i hate people thinking the worst of me and my boyfriend! doesnt anyone believe in love and trust anymore!

Definitely, you can get thrush without sleeping around, even more likely to get if it you are pregnant.

Although i got the impression you meant that they were implying it wasn't thrush but an STI which then meant that someone would of had to be unfaithful.

Just wait for the results and then throw it all back in their face and write a nasty letter to their manager :p
    yeh, thanks for the advice.guys..its just the way they questioned him. oh they also gave me some anti biotic tablets (sorry spelling terrible) ...but im not sure where to take them or not. they seem to think i have Clymidia but will it be any harm you think taking tablets before test results?? im so confused why give me theres now and not know test results! they must really think i have an STI and i gave them no reason to think i had one!
    If you do find that you have chlamydia, then maybe you DO need to have a word with your boyfriend, although i definitely think their tact and diplomacy sounds like it leaves a lot to be desired.
    If its just thrush then Id think you deserve an apology from them.
    yeh, thanks for the advice.guys..its just the way they questioned him. oh they also gave me some anti biotic tablets (sorry spelling terrible) ...but im not sure where to take them or not. they seem to think i have Clymidia but will it be any harm you think taking tablets before test results?? im so confused why give me theres now and not know test results! they must really think i have an STI and i gave them no reason to think i had one!

I'm not sure, read the instructions or try and research them on google. If you can't find anything out then just give the GUM clinic a ring (even after everything) they will know what to do after all but i can't see any harm in it.
    it cant be chlamydia. i know what for sure unless theres some way of catching that without me or my boyfriend sleeping with other people. i wish i never went to the GUM clinic now i only went coz doctor said it would be faster then waiting for 3 weeks appointment for them to do a swab.

this clinic is only small one in cheshire so i hope other clinics in london are a lot better i dont wish anyone to experiance this when your in a loving realtionship.
    i might wait till test results are in. thanks guys. anyone else got an experiance of clinics like this??? let me know.

i will get over the anger in a few days lol !
    it cant be chlamydia. i know what for sure unless theres some way of catching that without me or my boyfriend sleeping with other people. i wish i never went to the GUM clinic now i only went coz doctor said it would be faster then waiting for 3 weeks appointment for them to do a swab.

this clinic is only small one in cheshire so i hope other clinics in london are a lot better i dont wish anyone to experiance this when your in a loving realtionship.

What IF it is chlamydia though?

Alot of people trust their other halves 100% even the women who's partners have had an affair probably did until all was revealed, but the truth is who can you really trust?

Not accusing him of cheating at all, i'm just saying. It's a sad fact in life really but its great that the trust if there in your relationship because not everyone is the same and there are many decent faithfulll people out there.
    if it was.......which i will be very surprised if it is chlamydia! but hes had plenty of time to talk to me or tell me, he keeps saying he hasnt been with anyone else. 5 years is a long time i know him inside out. he also hasnt got time to cheat on me we live together. he works .......come home and spends time with me and gets up and goes to work and so on.

but we will see when the results are in.....10 days wait i think.
    I'm sorry but things like this get me angry. You are infected - this is fact! Since you manifested symptoms recently it might suggest recent infection (but maybe it can be asymptomatic for some time). These people are very experienced and likely they're sure the only possible vector of transmission is unprotected sex. It seems that by deductive reasoning that either of you (or both) have been unfaithful and had unprotected sex with someone else!

The hospital staff are giving you the benefit of their experience and trying to find the cause but you seem unable to accept this help?!
    if it was.......which i will be very surprised if it is chlamydia! but hes had plenty of time to talk to me or tell me, he keeps saying he hasnt been with anyone else. 5 years is a long time i know him inside out. he also hasnt got time to cheat on me we live together. he works .......come home and spends time with me and gets up and goes to work and so on.

but we will see when the results are in.....10 days wait i think.

I hate waiting :( I'm sure it'l be fine though, if i was you i'd take those antibiotics cos if it's causing you discomfort then i wouldn't be able to wait that long. I'm sure they wouldn't have given you something that wasn't safe for you to take even though they don't know what it is yet.
    Knobbbly wrote:
    I'm sorry but things like this get me angry. You are infected - this is fact! Since you manifested symptoms recently it might suggest recent infection (but maybe it can be asymptomatic for some time). These people are very experienced and likely they're sure the only possible vector of transmission is unprotected sex. It seems that by deductive reasoning that either of you (or both) have been unfaithful and had unprotected sex with someone else!

The hospital staff are giving you the benefit of their experience and trying to find the cause but you seem unable to accept this help?!

I see your point, however i think she meant it was the mannerism in which it was said.

After both saying no, they should have accepted that answer until the test results arrived instead of practically accusing him of cheating.
    Nobbly,
    i went to the clinic asking for a swab test for thrush, also symptoms can have different reasons.....discharge can be symptom of thrush or other things.
    yes i accept there help but i dont accept there judgement towards me and my boyfriend. if you was a dectective would you say someone was guilty without the facts??? i think they should of waited for the results before questioning my bf so harshly.
    t
    if you was a dectective would you say someone was guilty without the facts??? i think they should of waited for the results before questioning my bf so harshly.
    t

Ok, I can understand it might seem a little cold and discompassionate. What are these people meant to say, lie to you to make you feel better? It's the scientific method. Especially if you have tested positive.

Maybe there is some error and maybe you feel justification to ask for retest, handling and lab errors are made. I think they will have even told you about this.
    the point is i have no tested positive, they tests have been done but no results yet didnt you read that?
    i dont expect them to lie no but i do expect them to take my answar and not keep asking the same question........ have you slept with someone else......no have you slept with someone else.........no ........(wouldnt you get annoyed if you kept having to answar that?) and no test results to pove anything means they could of handled it a bit better!
    also Nobbly .....i can tell you have been hurt in the past but it doesnt mean everyone is the same. im sorry if your girlfriend has hurt you.
    also Nobbly .....i can tell you have been hurt in the past but it doesnt mean everyone is the same. im sorry if your girlfriend has hurt you.

Hey, its ok :) That is sweet of you to say. Maybe I read all of this a little fast, I thought you had tested positive.

They have made some speculation about what they think it is. Okay, that is reasonable but without conclusive evidence then it is simply that, speculation. It is a harsh generalisation they've probably made about young people.
    That's awful - they aren't supposed to judge or offer any sort of personal opinion on what's going on.

Good job you took their names, if the tests come back negative definitely complain and get something done about it. Actually just complain now - the way they treated you was well out of order.
    yep you didnt read it in full no i have not been tested positive.
    can you see why im angry now?
    i thought you was making a harsh generalisation about all couples cheating on each other ever after a long term realtionship! im glad your not like that.

the fact is yes i got someone wrong down there but not all people that go to GUM clinics have an STI some people go because they want advice or there preg? im sure they should realise that.
    Take the antibiotic course they have given as detailed on the prescription. Realistically one course of antibiotics isn't going to do you any harm and if there is anything there it's better to get rid of it sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing they also gave you boyfriend treatment? IIRC you should both take the full course and abstain completely or at least use condoms until both finished the treatment and have been checked that you are clear.

It may be that one of you has had it for a long time and never knew and the symptoms are only manifesting themselves now.
    maybe either me or him could of had it for 5 years and not knew??? ummm thanks for advice i will look into it.
    no he just had tests done today and because he has no symptoms they gave him nothing just tests.
    I guess that's possible, it'll be a case of wait and see. In the meantime I'd take the treatment and take precuations to ensure that you don't pass back and forth whatever it is you have. While thrush isn't necessarily sexually transmitted I have a sneaky feeling it can be so you won't properly get rid of it if he's getting it off you.

Maybe when you do get the results you could talk to your doctor (who you sound much happier with) about treatments and what to do etc rather than the GUM clinic.
    great advice cheers, so have you had problems like this before you sound pretty clued up about it all???
    Mine were a little more self inflicted.... I think I'm clear, he thinks he's clear, I'm on the pill, so what's one night? :rolleyes: We live and learn.
    Let us know the test results then plz.
    thats if it is clamydia. i got a long wait to find out now.
    I guess that's possible, it'll be a case of wait and see. In the meantime I'd take the treatment and take precuations to ensure that you don't pass back and forth whatever it is you have. While thrush isn't necessarily sexually transmitted I have a sneaky feeling it can be so you won't properly get rid of it if he's getting it off you.

Maybe when you do get the results you could talk to your doctor (who you sound much happier with) about treatments and what to do etc rather than the GUM clinic.

Yeah you can pass thrush back and forth through sex.