Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

London

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going there on Friday 17th November - Tuesday 21st.

I have a few days free to just be a tourist. Any suggestions as to where I could visit on a budget?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Regulation, Expectations, Fettered Pleasures. Oh shit, sorry. You're not some perv like me are you ? :D
  • Options
    The British Museum! It's a treasure trove and totally free. As are most museums in London. :yes:

The Prince Charles Cinema is worth a look - films that you missed first time round at pretty cheap prices.

Walk along the river.

Chill out in a park.

Gawp at the Palace.

Jsut walk around and find stuff, that's fun. (Unless you subscribe to my theory that maps inhibit creative navigation you might want to take one).

Call me and get a coffee in the Union...
  • Options
    Tate Modern.

After the Prado in Madrid (which isn't free), it's the best gallery in Europe in my opinion and I've seen most of the biggies and it's still my 2nd favourite. Plus it's free.

The Imperial War Museum is always a laff but that may be because I'm a guy and things like tanks please me immensely.
  • Options
    You've definitely got to go on the London Eye. Discount here.
  • Options
    The National Portrait Gallery, Camden, China Town, St James' Park
  • Options
    Covent gardens is great as you can spent hours just soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the street entertainers.
  • Options
    I loved the science museum when I was a kid although that might not me your time of thing. You have to spend sometime on oxfrod street, regents street etc window shopping in all the big department stores. Harrods is great but its MASSIVE and will takes ages to get through. Try and get a cheap toristiy map before you go or when you get there as it will gove you a map, tube map and will help you find places more easily. Plus the one I have at home has all the musems/places of intrest on it.
  • Options
    f**ken tourists!! :D
  • Options
    Tate Modern
    Tate Britain
    Science Museum
    Natural History Museum
    London Eye
    Thames boat trip to Greenwich and visit the Greenwich obsevatory
    Curry in Brick Lane
    Walk on Hampstead Heath
  • Options
    Bricklane is overrated - I've been several times and last time was trouble - loads of men shouting at you from the doors tryign to get you to go into their place of business - I'd stay well away form it TBH.
  • Options
    Brick Lane is definitely over rated.

The portions are tiny, and the curries are loads more expensive than anywhere else in the country.

Bear in mind that most normal things like cinema will cost loads more in London.

Jack the ripper tour is quite good, costs about £6. London zoo is good too. Or just walking around the South Bank. You could try and get some tickets to be in the audience of a TV show.
  • Options

The Imperial War Museum is always a laff but that may be because I'm a guy and things like tanks please me immensely.

The imperial war museum is great I :heart: it - but then i'm not a particually girly girl and I love tanks and machinary and stuff - they have frighteningly sacry rocket thing that was I think either the V3 or the V4 an was to be piloted by the hitler youth.

The V&A is great and my favourite museum in london - its also free.

As is the National Maritime Museum - which the obsevatory is party of and the Queens House which is where I got married - the boats are slightly sporadic though outside of the summer so you might have to get the train.

Also buy a 3 day travel card as its saves you lots of money.
  • Options
    Cheers for all the suggestions guys.

Wyetry, I was thinking of buying a 7 day zone 1-2 travelcard as its only £22 and that will cover me Friday-Tuesday. I don't think I'll be travelling out of zone 2 tbh.
  • Options
    You can get 3 day ones as well - I dunno how much cheaper they are.
  • Options
    V&A
    science museum
    Natural history museum
  • Options
    Cheers for all the suggestions guys.

Wyetry, I was thinking of buying a 7 day zone 1-2 travelcard as its only £22 and that will cover me Friday-Tuesday. I don't think I'll be travelling out of zone 2 tbh.
    If that's a student one then don't forget you need to get the photocard form signed by your university.
  • Options
    Yep the london eye is good, I went last week, photos attached!

Tate modern is cool, especially the walk along the river to get there as there are street enertainers and a grassy bit you can chill out on.
  • Options
    The Zoo is really expensive. I went the other week 'cos I was playing at Gay Sunday and I'm not sure I'd have paid £13 to go. I know that's a bit stingy because it all goes to conservation work, but it just seems like a lot when you're on a budget.

I still say you can't come to London and not go to the British Museum, but it seems I'm the only one!

If you do go to the V&A see if the Albert Hall have anything on, they sometimes have lunchtime concerts in their cafe. The food's a bit dear but the music was realyl good last time I went.
  • Options
    If you want to eat cheaply, some good places to go are The Pepper Tree in Clapham, and Little Bay as ideas. Clapham is indeed a bit far out, but you can have fantastic Thai food for about £10 a head, that includes starters, main, a dish of rice and drinks, plus it's just outside the tube station. The portions aren't too bad either. Little Bay is dotted around London, there's one in Farringdon, if you eat there before 7pm, starters are all £1.95 and all mains are £5.95 and the food is excellent.

I can't walk through Oxford Circus without wanting to cast doom on the masses, but tis up to yoo :D I'm not really a fan of Harrods besides their bread.

As said, Brick Lane is overrated. The best place I have ever had curry is The Lily in West Brompton.

St Catherine's place is a nice place to hang out, if you're a fan of Wagamama's, you can eat at one overlooking the Tower of London.
  • Options
    if you don't have enough money to go on the london eye, or it's closed, it's a really nice place to just sit and people watch in the evening, and there is always people around. but i'd still advice you not to do this on your own. its much more enjoyable when you have someone with you, especialy someone you are highly attracted to...like a moth to the light...sorry:blush:
  • Options
    Clapham is shit btw.
  • Options
    :grump:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I loved Brick Lane.

Pissed up trying to knock the geezers down on price, good fun and good food and I liekto think of myself as a bit of a curry king.
    Weekender Offender