Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cookery Nook - Mains

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Thought i'd start off the recipes with my fab stuffed peppers. It may be a good idea to split recipes up into Starters/snacks, Mains, Desserts and Misc. so we don't have one huge thread, and also if peeps are stuck for a recipe they can go section by section.

Stuffed Peppers.

2 Largeish peppers
1 onion
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 large tomato
200g beef mince
herbs (basil, oregano, mixed herbs)
150g Mozarella (the proper stuff that comes in a bag/tub in water, not that horrible processed stuff in shrinkwrap)
Salt & pepper

Cut peppers in half, deseed but dont cut out the stalk (helps pepper keep it's shape). Boil for 5-7 minutes in water, dry on kitchen papper.

Put the tomato in boiling water for 1 minute, peel the skin off then chop finely.

Chop and fry the onion and garlic on a low heat until softened (about 7 mins), then turn heat up slightly and add the mince. Fry until all the mince is browned. Add the chopped tomato, herbs of your choice, salt and pepper to taste. Heat through for about 5 minutes.

Arrange the peppers in a heat proof dish. Fill peppers with the mince mixture and place in a preheated oven about 190/200c for 10 minutes.

Slice the mozarella and after the peppers have been cooking in the oven for said 10 minutes, place the mozarella on the top. Bake for a further 10 minutes.

Take out of oven, and bask in everyone's glory at how clever you are :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    excellent Kev. Im going to make those this week. I have actually got some red peppers in my tesco delivery for tommorow and have been scouring t`internet for a good recipe, so this is good timing :D
    is that recipe for 2 people?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Cottage or Shepards Pie

You can just use already minced meat but this works best for a monday night using the left over meat from sundays roast - put the left over meat through a mincer along with a couple of bread crusts so it's nicely mixed (the ends of the loaf work best). You need 600g of this.
    You also need:

1 tbsp oil
    1 large onion chopped
    2 medium carrots, chopped
    1 can of chopped tomatoes
    290ml stock (beef)
    fresh thyme leaves from 1 sprig
    2 tbsp tomato purée
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    900g potatoes, peeled and chopped
    2 tsp creamed horseradish
    70g butter
    50ml milk

Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
    Heat the oil in a large pan. Add onion and carrot and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.
    Add the minced meat and cook for a few minutes until brown.
    Add the tomatoes, purée, beef stock and thyme.
    Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season.
    Make the mash: boil the potatoes in water until soft. Drain and mash with butter and milk. Stir in horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
    Put the meat in an ovenproof dish. Top with the mash and bake for 30 minutes until cooked and golden brown.

Tis very good.
    Weekender Offender 
    kangoo wrote:
    is that recipe for 2 people?

Two hungry people if you have a pepper each and lots of veg. Could serve four, with a salad as a starter
    Random recipie I made up on Monday night

1 Medium Sized Onion - sliced
    2 Pork Steaks/Chops
    1 Apple - cubed.

Get a pyrex dish put the onion in the bottom, the pork in the middle and the apple on the top - put into a pre heated oven at 170 degrees for 30 mins.

Its amazingly simple but tastes lovely and as log as you cut the fat off the pork is virtually fat free as well.
    what would you suggest to serve with stuffed peppers?
    Wyetry wrote:
    Random recipie I made up on Monday night

1 Medium Sized Onion - sliced
    2 Pork Steaks/Chops
    1 Apple - cubed.

Get a pyrex dish put the onion in the bottom, the pork in the middle and the apple on the top - put into a pre heated oven at 170 degrees for 30 mins.

Its amazingly simple but tastes lovely and as log as you cut the fat off the pork is virtually fat free as well.
    Was that not a bit dry? Or did you make a sauce?
    what would you suggest to serve with stuffed peppers?

I reckon cous cous would work quite nicely...recipe sounds delicious. Will have to cook it for my friends the next time they come round :yum: