Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Your Dinner Party Menu

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Starter: Red Pepper soup with fresh rolls.

Main: Chicken and mushroom pie with mash and vegtables.

Dessert: Chocolate fudge cake with cream.

Marks out of ten please.

You??

Comments

• Options
    I'd say that could end up being quite rich and heavy, with your main and desert combination. V creamy.

Without tasting it, I'd go for a 6 or a 7/10 because I'd end up feeling like a cube by the end of it.

ETA:

Starter: Caramlised onion and soft cheese puff pastry tarte (really sweet onions here, been cooked in butter slowly for an hour or so, then in the oven to melt the cheese on top and puff the pastry)

Main: Shepherds pie here. So many ways of making it taste different, but I'd go for slow cooked lean lamb mince with veggie and lamb stock for depth of flavour. Then a really smooth creamy mash, with lots of butter and either full fat milk or full on cream goodness and covered with grated cheese

Dessert: Pancakes, really thin light pancakes with icing sugar and lemon or golden syrup or a chocolate sauce as options
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'd say that could end up being quite rich and heavy, with you main and desert combination. V creamy.

Without tasting it, I'd go for a 6 or a 7/10 because I'd end up feeling like a cube by the end of it.
    MMMM cubey.

Maybe potato encrutes in stead of mash??:chin:
  • Options
    or new potatos. It also depends whether your pie filling is gravy or creamy oriented and whether you had short crust or puff pastry

Do mine!
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'd say that could end up being quite rich and heavy, with you main and desert combination. V creamy.

ETA:

Starter: Caramlised onion and soft cheese puff pastry tarte (really sweet onions here, been cooked in butter slowly for an hour or so, then in the oven to melt the cheese on top and puff the pastry)

Main: Shepherds pie here. So many ways of making it taste different, but I'd go for slow cooked lean lamb mince with veggie and lamb stock for depth of flavour. Then a really smooth creamy mash, with lots of butter and either full fat milk or full on cream goodness and covered with grated cheese

Dessert: Pancakes, really thin light pancakes with icing sugar and lemon or golden syrup or a chocolate sauce as options
    Sounds good. I'm not a fan of Shepherds pie though. The strater sound especally scrumpious.8/10
  • Options
    My housemate wasn't a fan of shepherds pie until she tried mine either. Man I love cooking. and eating.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    or new potatos. It also depends whether your pie filling is gravy or creamy oriented and whether you had short crust or puff pastry

Do mine!
    Creamy puff sounds nice to me.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    My housemate wasn't a fan of shepherds pie until she tried mine either. Man I love cooking. and eating.
    Then this is your kind of forum then!!
  • Options
    It is very nice. But you've got to balance it up against a heavy desert. maybe going for a fruit option, some sugar covered summer fruits with single cream or custard or something.

ETA: yes it is, I'm going to spend SO much time in here.
  • Options
    Apple Tarte tatin??
  • Options
    Yeah, could be, but then maybe that's a lot of pastry going on... Variety is good.
  • Options
    Vodka infused fruit jellies??
  • Options
    hahaha, maybe
  • Options
    They sound nice to me.

Any way choc mouse is my fave and it,s light.
  • Options
    I'd go for, 2nd option being veggie

Starter - Chicken Waldorf salad/Mozarella, basil and tomato salad.

Main - Steak au poivre/Chestnut filo parcels with rosti, carrots with sour cream and chives and string beans.

Pud - Chocolate mousse or poached pears.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    /Chestnut filo parcels with rosti, carrots with sour cream and chives and string beans.
    That sounds v nice.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I've really got into cooking Mexican recently because my familly like really hot food and it makes a difference from Indian which we have at least twice a week as it is.

Deep fried jalapenos with cheese (I've made these only once so far but they were superb)
    Chicken Enchiladas
    And a simple lemon cheesecake for desert.
    And Tequila slammers for after dinner drinks.

Everything there is very easy to cook yet it can make you look like a top chef. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I've really got into cooking Mexican recently because my familly like really hot food and it makes a difference from Indian which we have at least twice a week as it is.

Deep fried jalapenos with cheese (I've made these only once so far but they were superb)
    Chicken Enchiladas
    And a simple lemon cheesecake for desert.
    And Tequila slammers for after dinner drinks.

Everything there is very easy to cook yet it can make you look like a top chef. :D
    Sound Fantastic, I love enchiladas. 9/10.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Deep fried jalapenos with cheese

i love those! how do you make them?
  • Options
    :yum:
    kangoo wrote:
    i love those! how do you make them?
    I'm guessing You put jappenos in a deep fat fryer then melt cheese on top.
  • Options
    oh i thought it was the ones in batter with the cheese inside
  • Options
    This is the menu from the last dinner party i did.

Assorted Bruchetta - Aubergine and Mint, Caramelised Onions and Goats Cheese and Traditional Tomato.

Hunters Chicken Stew, with creamy rice and dressed greens

Raspberry Tart.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    It might be we must wait 4 skive.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    kangoo wrote:

It is.

Cut the top off the chilis and deseed, this is not easy to do without damaging the chili's. I mix the seed with the cheese because they're the hottest part of the chile but you can throw them away if you want something milder. Stuff the chili with the greated cheese - it has to be grated fine.

Mix up 2 eggs with some milk. Roll the chili in the flour, then in the egg mixture and then in the flour again. Let the coating set. Then stick em in the frier at 350c until they're brown. Becareful not to over do them or more imortantly burn yourself. Fat friers are dangerous as fuck.

Easy. Though I did fuck up the first few.

I'm going to replace the Jalapenos with Scotch Bonnets for some serious heat next time. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Heres what I did for my last dinner party,
    Starter Fillet of beef carpachio with a rocket salad with a balsamic dressing, and parmesan tuiles.

main Chicken stuffed with bacon and cabbage served on a celeriac mash with a red wine reduction sauce.

desert My favourite home made banofee pie.
  • Options
    this will never happen coz I can't cook but:

conch fritters with cranberry mayonaise

mixed-seafood couscous-paella, with courgettes

white chocolate profiteroles

guinep and mango

summut like that
  • Options
    Theres no such thing as not being able to cook, anyone can follow a recipe, get yourself a decent cookbook then anything can be done!
  • Options
    Ok, well I can't be arsed to cook and have no idea where I could get conche or guinep in this country either...

Of the above dinner parties. I would go to Jarvey of Suburbia's, then run away after the starter, leggin it over to RubberSkin's for Chestnut filo parcels with rosti, carrots with sour cream and chives and string beans. Then I'd make my excuses and go home to some wicked white choc profiteroles. Yum, what a great party.
  • Options
    Starter - Chicken

Main - Chicken

Dessert - Er. McFlurry or something.

I'm so unsophisticated it kills me.
  • Options
    Theres no such thing as not being able to cook, anyone can follow a recipe, get yourself a decent cookbook then anything can be done!

:no: Its more than just following a recipe, its actually being able to create, and no, I firmly believe that just anybody cannot cook. You can do it exactly and still fuck it up, or you can start out doing something perfectly and then just get all confused and flustered and overwhelmed and it all turns like shit. Some people cannot and will never be able to cook.
  • Options
    Well im actually a chef so I guess it would be easy for me to say anyone can cook, but as you mentioned confidence is deffinatly important the mistake people make is trying too be too perfect and too precise.