Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to control someone else's PC

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are there any good programs that allow someone to give you control over their mouse and keyboard over the net?

i.e. if you both have broadband - but is also dead simple for them to install?

I often get asked to help come in personand make a long trip to help solve smeone's PC problem whien it's probabaly something I could do remotely as long as I could see their PC's screen and control their mouse at the very least.

I know it can be done on MSN Messenger but dones't always work and not everyone I know uses MSN Messenger.

Is there anything else really simple they can install?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Would remote desktop work?
    At work we use either Remote Desktop or a program called Ultra VNC, which is quite good, can transfer files to each PC and control them remotely
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Would remote desktop work?

That would be my suggestion too. No installation required. They just need to enable it.
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    All VNC programs work best.
    Aye, another vote for vnc.

http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html
    Youngbull wrote:
    At work we use either Remote Desktop or a program called Ultra VNC, which is quite good, can transfer files to each PC and control them remotely

The other week I had to talk this guy through (over the phone) how to open his email and click on a hyper link that would open a website - that was a painful process.

I've used Tight VNC at home and can set it up for myself to use and control another PC, actually at home I have PC Anywhere

But looking for the most dead simple solution - maybe even if it's like a website people can go to and it allows me to see their screen for example (with being able to control it) at least if I can see what they see I can talk them through stuff over the phone.

One chap I've help lives miles away and it's a 1.5 hour journey each way to help him, done the journey 3 times before but that was to install and remove hardware now most of his problems are software related, i.e. configuring his email client for instance.

There was some guy in the news not long ago, he was a pedo hassling young kids - but the story said he was able to control other people's PC's by sending them software that gave him control over their mouse and stuff - wish I knew how he did it though most of the people I'm tryign to help can barely work their emails.
    There used to be a trojan called SubSeven, which you could attach to any other .exe file. Would let you in through a backdoor - view their desktop, control their PC, etc. Might still be able to find it somewhere... ;)
    remote desktop is nicer than VNC. but vnc is cross-platform and allows multiple people to view the same desktop.

Subseven doesn't work on XP I'm afraid.
    it would be nice if there was like a website I could tell someone to go to

And that website says something like

Do you wish to allow others to see your screen and they click yes and I can go to the same website URL and see their screen at least
    Net Support *nods*

http://www.netsupport.co.uk/

do eet!
    I've just found a free bit of kit on this website

www.LogMeIn.com

works pretty good.