Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Michael Schumacher Retires!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    muse- wrote:
    You look at it totally the wrong way... you honestly believe he goes out with intentions to hurt people to win? heh.

He has brought a hell of a lot more to the sport than he was taken away from it, I'll leave it at that.

So did he think the people hes driven into would escape unscathed 100%?
    muse- wrote:
    You look at it totally the wrong way... you honestly believe he goes out with intentions to hurt people to win? heh.

I don't think he cares one way or the other.

That's why he is so dangerous, and that's why he should have got a life ban in 1997.
    Renzo wrote:
    So did he think the people hes driven into would escape unscathed 100%?

do football players do that for every tackle they make? If he just randomly drove into people he'd fuck his own car up as well as theirs... maybe some dangerous/competitive driving but you saw that a lot with montoya and sato when he was at honda, they just dont get the shit cos they don't win the whole time.
    muse- wrote:
    If he just randomly drove into people he'd fuck his own car up as well as theirs

In 1994 that didn't matter, did it? If you ram your opponent off the road then they can't beat you.
    I'm not gonna argue, I agree he was overly competitive to the point of being dangerous... Though I didn't closely follow f1 back then as I was a lot younger, but Schumacher was a lot less of a public figure for the sport back then, and the FIA (as i just read!) actually granted that as a racing incident... they would have no reason to have a bias towards him back then..

Having said that the one against vielleneuve was pretty dodgy... But I don't think it should put a complete black mark on his career and entire reputation.
    It wasn't a racing incident in 1994, but Hill was a fucking moron trying to go round him like that. Anyone could see that the driver who had a track record of cheating from his sportscar days, and was driving for a team full of proven cheats, would do that.
    Well yeah maybe Hill should've waited it out... but noone's perfect:
    Schumacher's critics complained that the punishment was too light, as it included no fine or race ban. However, this was not the first incident of the sort in F1 history, and while Schumacher was judged to have been at fault, others have escaped punishment for similar situations. Ayrton Senna, for example, received essentially no punishment for deliberately crashing into Alain Prost at the 1990 Japanese Grand Prix to win the World Championship.

quote from wikipedia

No disrespect to Senna, I admire him... just an example that the competition can get to everyone.
    The difference with what happened at Suzuka is that Senna said he would do that because the FIA (based in Paris) had changed the grid setup after Senna had won pole. This meant Senna would start from the "dirty" side of the track, favouring the French driver Prost who qualified second, who Senna just happened to hate anyway.

Basically Senna did that to get back at the corrupt FIA...fair dos I think.
    but still with disreguard for someone elses safety, no matter what the reason is.

Maybe Schumacher took it too far on too many occasions, but I still think he was good for the sport, especially the way he's handled himself in recent years. Everyone is gonna have their own opinions though.
    His engine blew up today for the first time in about 5 years. Lovely.
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh, he'd been doing that since his Group C sportscar days at Mercedes-Benz. Just ask Wendlinger and Frentzen what they think of the great sportsman Schumacher.

Senna and Prost had their spats, but neither of them tried to pretend it was about anything else. Senna said he was going to do it before he did at Suzuka because the FIA skewed the grid settings at the last minute after he'd beaten Prost to pole. Prost did what he did in retaliation.

Schumacher, on the other hand, did it repeatedly because he seems to think he is better than everyone else. It's a shame that crash at Silverstone didn't hurt him more. I maintain that if anyone had had to be in that Williams, if there was any justice it would have been Schumacher.

You can't help yourself, can you! :rolleyes:
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    His engine blew up today for the first time in about 5 years. Lovely.
    At the start of the broadcast they mentioned that he hadn't had an engine failure since 2001 and i was just like.. "oh dear, you just know what's going to happen..."

And sure enough. Ugh. Shame, coz he'd had a good weekend.
    Come On Alonso! Just dont retire from the final race!
    There is a God after all.
    Or karma at any rate.
    maybe the evil nazi ppl at ferrari will go sabotage renault in an attempt to blow alonso's car up next race? hmmmmmmm
    I bet the FIA do something to the regulations to favour Ferrari.
    Or simply get Massa to 'accidentally' run into the back of Alonso's car.

Michael Schumacher would normally do this himself (as he has already proven in the past) but on this occasion he needs to win the race as well as having his main rival retire, so Mazza would have to be employed.

Either that, or find another part of the Renault's car that's working well and have it banned by the FIA
    Either that, or get Kimi to crash into Alonso, That leaves massa and Schumie to get a 1 - 2 for the Constructors!
    Hooray he didn't win the title!
    He got a puncture as well.

There is a God after all... :D

Interesting thing is, would Massa have let Schu pass if he'd managed to reach 2nd place with one or two laps remaining?
    If Alonso had retired, I'd expect that Massa would have had an unfortunate problem with the car. Otherwise, no, a Brazilian winning that grand prix is a national hero forever.
    muse- wrote:
    maybe the evil nazi ppl at ferrari will go sabotage renault in an attempt to blow alonso's car up next race? hmmmmmmm
    The people who work for Ferrari aren't evil Nazis. My Daddy works there :p
    I was sad to see Schu go but at the end of the day it was a Ferrari GP win which was well won by Massa. It will be very interesting to see which way the drivers are ranked by Ferrari next season as at the moment Massa is doing so well.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    The people who work for Ferrari aren't evil Nazis. My Daddy works there :p

i was being sarcastic ;p itd be amazing to work for them!

raikonnen will be #1 next season, pretty sure he'll win too
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    muse- wrote:
    raikonnen will be #1 next season, pretty sure he'll win too

It looks like he'll have his best ever season next year :) Assuming the car's good, which is always is.
    yeah! He keeps competitive in a car thats worse than the hondas/renaults/ferarri's so looks like he'll do pretty damn well in a ferrari next season without schumacher on the track :)
    muse- wrote:
    yeah! He keeps competitive in a car thats worse than the hondas/renaults/ferarri's so looks like he'll do pretty damn well in a ferrari next season without schumacher on the track :)

Scumacher quit because he'd have to race an equal parter for the first time in his whole career.
    Renzo wrote:
    Scumacher quit because he'd have to race an equal parter for the first time in his whole career.

but didn't he announce his retirement before raikonnen was signed?
    Renzo wrote:

sour grapes mate!