Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How journalism works

In another forum someone has posted a link to a potentially massive story, the kind that sends the national media into a frenzy:
xxxxxxxxxxxxx has been accused of possessing the largest amount of chemical explosives of its type ever found in the country.

xxxxxxxxxxx, 49, of Talbot Street, Colne, appeared before Burnley magistrates charged with possession of an explosive substance.

In another article it is claimed the man was not only in possession of the explosives but also of rocket launchers.

All pretty alarming, I'm sure you'll agree. Something that the likes of the S*n, Mail and indeed the 'quality' press would go on about for weeks on end with the usual soundbytes of 'terror', 'evil', etc etc.

However the only newspapers appearing to report this are a couple of very humble regional papers.

How could this be, I hear you ask?

I'm not sure. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that xxxxxxxxxxx is not a Muslim, Arab, Asian or any other denomination darkie, but a good old white, native British chap who used to be a BNP member.

Or perhaps I'm just being a cynic and the national press will notice the story today and run the usual 72 pt. font headlines tomorrow, and for the next 3 weeks.

We'll have to wait and see won't we...

:rolleyes:

Original story

Rocket launcher claims
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it is a touch of cynicism on this one...give it a couple of days and it will be national news. I mean, whevern guns, knives, drugs or explosives have been found in the possession of white people or white extremists of some kind it has been reported...i fear this is more a show of how poor national journalism is that it depends on regional reporters to do all the research and uncovering of the truth first.
  • Options
    Plenty of things that you would imagine to be front page headlines don't appear in the national press for a number of reasons. Either the people/group involved are untouchable or the story doesn't fit in with the general hysteria that's going around.

We have a football club up this way that had an "open secret" child abuse ring running for a generation and continued to pay cash to the sick peado that started it for decades afterwards. More recently, they openly paid money to a convicted terrorist in return for a bit of work. Front page headlines? Nah. The latter story has NEVER been mentioned despite every major newspaper in the country being fully aware of it, and the first story has been conveniently swept under the carpet.

The press don't always report the major news stories. They report what fits.
  • Options
    Yep. Some of them report what they choose because they have an agenda to push, and the others because they get caught up in it and don't have the balls to ignore it lest it affects its circulation figures.

Surprise surprise, I haven't noticed anything on the front pages of a single national newspaper this morning.
  • Options
    What also happens occasionally is the papers need the story to be printed before they can report it. Once it's "out there", they can then report what has already been reported without having any legal implications for their own rag. Make sense?

An example might be two first-team footballers chanting pro-terrorist slogans at an official club function. No paper touched it for two days after the news and video circulated the net, then after a north east paper had the balls to write something the mainstream papers began to semi-report it (before sweeping it under the carpet with the other scandals.) That carpet must have some bulges in it by now! :)
  • Options
    Well the likes of the Scum don't have any problems reporting all sorts of unconfirmed reports when the people involved are Muslims/Arabs/Asians.

Remember the 'Old Trafford suicide bombers' claim? Or the ricin case? Or Forest Gate? All proven to be bollocks- though that didn't stop the gutter press printing acres of column inches about the ever present evil Muslim extremist threat for weeks on end beforehand.
  • Options
    Of course the newspapers only report on what fits in with their agenda. It's not new to say that.

That doesn't mean that what they do report is racist or fabricated, though.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Lol.

I suppose we'll find out the truth sooner or later. Either way, I love the vaugeness of "ROCKET LAUNCHERS". That could be ANYTHING. Obviously they had no real evidence nad added in on rumour or because it would sound cool.
  • Options
    the largest amount of chemical explosives of its type ever found in the country

That doesn`t seem likely to me.

A quick look by that journalist at this list would probably have made him alter that sentence if the aim was to inform the general public.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan-turnbull/secret-index.htm

A map is even provided so the journalist can back up his sources.
  • Options
    Naturally seeker what the article implies is that this was the largest amount of explosives found in the hands of an individual.

And no, we do not want to derail the thread and discuss whether armies "exist".
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Naturally seeker what the article implies is that this was the largest amount of explosives found in the hands of an individual.

And no, we do not want to derail the thread and discuss whether armies "exist".

There are ONLY individuals.
  • Options
    Whatever.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    All pretty alarming, I'm sure you'll agree. Something that the likes of the S*n, Mail and indeed the 'quality' press would go on about for weeks on end with the usual soundbytes of 'terror', 'evil', etc etc.

However the only newspapers appearing to report this are a couple of very humble regional papers.

I'm not sure. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that xxxxxxxxxxx is not a Muslim, Arab, Asian or any other denomination darkie, but a good old white, native British chap who used to be a BNP member.

Or perhaps I'm just being a cynic and the national press will notice the story today and run the usual 72 pt. font headlines tomorrow, and for the next 3 weeks.

Although I agree with you in opposing the war, making out minorities are given unfavourable coverage in the media compared to whites, and even far-right leaning whites, is utter nonsense.

If this dude was planning some kind of racial attack...it'll make the news.
  • Options
    But the key is if a Muslim/Asian/Arab had been found in possession of the largest quantity of chemical explosives ever found in private hands, you can bet your bottom dollar it would make it to the front pages of the national page and stay there for a good while. Probably with some fantasy plot thrown in for good measure- as it has indeed been the case already even when no actual explosives or chemicals were actually confirmed to be found by the police.
  • Options
    BNP scum.

Not supprising that they would omit such coverage in the news media.
  • Options
    All I can think is that there is a d notice on it after the initial stories went out - however I'm in the process of complaining to the bbc to see if I can find out any other reason.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    All I can think is that there is a d notice on it after the initial stories went out - however I'm in the process of complaining to the bbc to see if I can find out any other reason.

Could be, or potentially the locals exxagerated and when the nationals looked the story isn't quite so exciting after all.

(As an aside ages ago I can remember a story which went out - I think in Liverpool - where the local paper mentioned an Irish man getting arrested on explosive charges. The book which mentioned it said that the paper neglected to mention 2 things a) he had left Ireland when he was six months old and b) he was a being prosecuted for illegally selling fireworks.)
  • Options
    From the BBC -

'Jim,

Thanks for your e-mail and apologies for the delay in replying. We had
    planned to cover this issue on last week's NewsWatch programme, but
    unfortunately had to drop the item at the last minute because we
    couldn't confirm information we needed to make sure our report didn't
    break the law.

The simple answer is that the national BBC should have covered this but
    missed the story - it was featured on BBC Radio Lancashire, where the
    offences occurred, but should have had wider coverage nationally.
    However, it's also interesting that of the national newspapers, only the
    Sunday Times carried any mention of the case at all.

I think this is partly down to the way the police locally handled the
    whole thing - and there have been discussions about the lack of
    information coming from them.

However, I should point out that much of the information you may have
    read on various websites goes far beyond what should be reported once
    people have been arrested and charged, and the BBC could not have given
    anywhere near that much detail of the case.

But I'm told there will definitely be someone covering next Monday's
    court hearing in Burnley.

I hope that's useful,

Ian Jolly
    NewsWatch'
  • Options
    Well it is good of them to reply.

Interesting about the regional newspapers reporting more than they should have.

I still believe that 'Muslim caught with biggest amount of chemical explosives in UK' reads a lot better than 'English white man caught with biggest amount of chemical explosives in UK'. There might have not been a conspiracy, but the very reason the story wasn't picked up by the national press in any significant way has probably a lot to do with the subject's race, colour or religion not being 'interesting' enough.
  • Options
    Just to update
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/6357261.stm

Major story on front page of the BBC website.
  • Options
    But this is the top story...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6356931.stm
  • Options
    How journalism works?

Watch this Chomsky documentary based on one of his best books("Manufacturing Consent") if you have a couple of spare hours. Its a bit slow going at the start but it gets extremely interesting around the middle and the end is incredible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABHMlEgwZ1k&mode=related&search=
  • Options
    It seems that Robert Cottage`s actions (when he believed there was a terrorist threat to him) were not "proportionate, necessary and motivated by public safety".

Maybe his mistake was not being "forceful and aggressive" which, according to the IPCC, is the inevitable action when faced with a perceived terrorist threat.
  • Options
    But this is the top story...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6356931.stm

Yes the media is so right wing they also have a story titled

"Police criticised for terror raid"

and which is about a bungled police operation.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    In another forum someone has posted a link to a potentially massive story, the kind that sends the national media into a frenzy:

In another article it is claimed the man was not only in possession of the explosives but also of rocket launchers.

Original story

Rocket launcher claims

There was a thread on this ages ago... But I agree. It wouldn't support the War on Terror if it were white people comitting the offense. If we aren't scared of one particular marginalised group and another set of baddies comes in, then it dilutes our fear and thus their power.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    There was a thread on this ages ago... But I agree. It wouldn't support the War on Terror if it were white people comitting the offense. If we aren't scared of one particular marginalised group and another set of baddies comes in, then it dilutes our fear and thus their power.

This is the thread from ages ago, rather than Aladdin just catching up with the news. I bumped because the trial is now being reported and because it seems to support the argument against a cover up.

PS you must have missed the IRA's campaign - last I looked they were pretty much white.
  • Options
    Yes the media is so right wing they also have a story titled

"Police criticised for terror raid"

and which is about a bungled police operation.

My point was that although someone had plans to kill the PM (FFS!) it is a muslim terror related story which was top whack. Surely it should have been the other way around?
  • Options
    My point was that although someone had plans to kill the PM (FFS!) it is a muslim terror related story which was top whack. Surely it should have been the other way around?

Depends how serious the plot was.

Seems to me like he was a nutjob who'd have not come anywhere close. I mean the man believed the UK was about to break down into civil war.

Unfortunately people with plans to kill the PM are ten a dozen, fortunately most of them have more nuts than a squirrel and never get beyond wird fantasies.

the police were right to arrest him, but its not part of some well organised plot which has a chance of succeeding (or at least it doesn't look like that from the media reports)
  • Options
    Depends how serious the plot was.

Seems to me like he was a nutjob who'd have not come anywhere close. I mean the man believed the UK was about to break down into civil war.

Unfortunately people with plans to kill the PM are ten a dozen, fortunately most of them have more nuts than a squirrel and never get beyond wird fantasies.

the police were right to arrest him, but its not part of some well organised plot which has a chance of succeeding (or at least it doesn't look like that from the media reports)

Do I need to point out the "abduction of Muslim soldier" story to you?

How many days did that lead for?

I don't think that the possible success of the plot is relevant, certainly we currently have no idea how plausible the soldier abduction plot was...
  • Options
    From what I hear it was a pretty serious plot and it was part of a conspiracy. They've given the chap who was targetted police protection.

Serious fascist threats also get attention from the media - its just the far right (much like the far left) tend to be posers who talk a good game, but have the bollocks or the wit to move far from the bar or do anything more sophisticated than fighting in the streets.

Its also about background - we know Islamic extremists have the capability and willingness to commit mass murder. The far right haven't been able to since 1999 with David Copeland (and even he was a disturbed loner who acted independently)

Serious plots by white men are well covered - look at the animal rights lot. And come to that the coverage of the IRA (at least when they operated in England - the coverage wasn't so good when it was only paddies and squaddies they were murdering).
  • Options
    From what I hear it was a pretty serious plot and it was part of a conspiracy.

My point is that the media assumed it was all real (in spite of previous cock-ups, including the one in the news today) and that it should lead.

This is put down as a "crackpot", again automatically.
    They've given the chap who was targetted police protection.

Whereas Tony Blair walks the streets alone :p

If only, eh/
    Its also about background - we know Islamic extremists have the capability and willingness to commit mass murder.

Again, supports my point. The assumption therefore is that any story involving Muslims is true and leads, plus pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and centre pages spread (see also editorial) - whilst this one will disappear very quick. Did you see it on Six PM news tonight?