Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

tories - and the lack of ideas.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't see the problem with the Tories having very few clear policies at the moment. With a few years to go before an election, what would be the point of giving the other side plenty of time to attack you.

They are right to hold back on the details, and I think they are right to focus on economic stability before offering tax cuts.

The labor government has done okay, but it is time for someone else to have a go. Mr Brown has 10% of what it takes to be a good PM in modern society. Nobody can relate to him.

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Is there a single party that you can say they have a good set of decent ideas, or even one idea.

Not many!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tinfoil hat on - Why's Jim V edited this?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    NQA wrote:
    Tinfoil hat on - Why's Jim V edited this?
    Removed a spam link.
    I agree its pointless setting out any policies right now, they'll bear no impact come elction time.

I don't like Cameron, just something about him. However I want rid of Blair and his government, they seem to think they can do whatever they want and need reminding whos really in charge.
    godscop wrote:
    I don't like Cameron, just something about him.
    He's Tony Blair Mk. II.

It's certainly refreshing to see the Tory party (or at least part of it) appearing to distance itself from the old ways. But Cameron 'nice guy' image is rather like Tony in the 1990s.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    JsT wrote:
    Is there a single party that you can say they have a good set of decent ideas, or even one idea.

Not many!

True that. They're all vague or stupid.
    Aladdin wrote:
    He's Tony Blair Mk. II.

which is exactly what he himself keeps telling people!
    political parties are irrelevant it seems.
    no ideology anymore.
    which is exactly what he himself keeps telling people!
    political parties are irrelevant it seems.
    no ideology anymore.

Tories have been known not to have a set ideology if you look through their evolution as a party.
    They've always believed in low taxation and a smaller government though. Which is why some Tory old guard are spitting blood about Cameron's refusal to confirm he will lower taxes (even though he most probably will if he gets to power).
    Ideas no longer have any place in Westminster politics- if you nail your colours to the mast, you will be attacked and ridiculed regardless of your success.

We have nothing but glib soundbites because nothing but glib soundbites are electable. We have the politicians we deserve.
    The Tories seem to be taking new labour ideologies and rehashing them into their own kind.

With the rise of individualism, consumerism and dilution of class politics; people don't have an incentive to vote for a particular party. It's all the same sort of shit. Who cares?
    Out of the 3 main parties, the Lib Dems are at least distinguisable from the other two.

At least on paper, they are fiercely anti-war and in favour of distancing Britain from the ever-more-embarrassing slave-master relationship we have with the US. For those two reasons alone they deserve the pragmatic vote of anyone sick of the Labour/Tory identikit policies.

Out of the three parties they're certainly the closest to me at the moment, though they're still not a left wing party and I would probably not vote for them, 'wasting' my vote instead on a small party that was closer to my beliefs.
    Kermit wrote:
    Ideas no longer have any place in Westminster politics- if you nail your colours to the mast, you will be attacked and ridiculed regardless of your success.

We have nothing but glib soundbites because nothing but glib soundbites are electable. We have the politicians we deserve.

:yes:

State a position now and you give the opposition parties time to slag it - say nothing and you don't.

Besides, who really cares what they have to say anyway? It will be bland because they have to appeal to the group of people least engage/polarised already.
    Radical ideas are overated. I'd much rather live in a time of boring managerial politics than radical thinking. As the old Chinese curse says 'May you live in interesting times'
    NQA wrote:
    Radical ideas are overated. I'd much rather live in a time of boring managerial politics than radical thinking.

But isn't it the shift from right to left and back which actually brings about change and devlopment? Surely ploughing the middle road and trying to reach consensus on so much undermines democracy and leads to stagnation?
    'May you live in interesting times'

You have no idea how often I use that quote... :thumb:
    NQA wrote:
    Radical ideas are overated. I'd much rather live in a time of boring managerial politics than radical thinking.
    I wouldn't say looking after the poor and weak in society, ensuring decent pay for all workers and a fairer society for all or respecting other nations' sovereignty are radical ideas.

Though I'm sure some people view them as radical nonsense ;):D
    Aladdin wrote:
    I wouldn't say looking after the poor and weak in society, ensuring decent pay for all workers and a fairer society for all or respecting other nations' sovereignty are radical ideas.

Though I'm sure some people view them as radical nonsense ;):D

No they're not and all the parties do them to a greater or lesser extent.
    But isn't it the shift from right to left and back which actually brings about change and devlopment? Surely ploughing the middle road and trying to reach consensus on so much undermines democracy and leads to stagnation?

To a certain extent, but we still do have an interchange of ideas and there still is a difference between Conservatives and Labour. I'm just not convinced that rapid swings between a hard left and a hard right are either a) capable of producing the boring stability in which its nice to lead ones life or b) what people want.

What we have (and in my opinion the best way) is people arguing on a fairly narrow range of arguments eg the amount of Govt intervention in the economy and where - rather than an argument about an absolute free market vs an absolute state control.

Its also an argument about how best to integrate and adapt our culture for the good of both the 'native' British and immigrants, rather than it all sort itself out or the 'there's no black in the union jack' argument.
    I agree with NQA.

The fact that politics is dull suggests to me that things are generally OK, radicalisation occurs in times of upheaval and this is not desirable generally (unless what came before was very bad).

The big issue for me at the moment is civil liberties and I will be interested to see if the Tories take a firm stand against the current Labour position (which i detest) or if Brown will change the stance, hopefully he will sack Reid and do away with ID cards and much of the other bollocks he and his predecessors have been associated with.....