Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lips

Over the last week or so I've had dry lips and put some vaseline on them. Now, since Sunday I've had an area which has cracked and very sore when I try to open my mouth. I can only open it a few centimetres before it becomes painful and a few times it has made the area crack more.

Apart from vaseline (which has done nothing) is there anything I can put on my lips to stop them becoming really sore and making them worse than they already are?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dont put anything on em, eat a lot of oranges and vitamin C, that works wonders for sore/dry/cracked skin. Should clear it up in a few days :thumb:
    I like sally hansen's chapped lip repair :thumb:

Carmex is a popular one, though I find it gets goopy and nasty on your lips. My mom likes Burts Bees.

Pretty much anything for chapped lips. Theres dozens of products.

I don't understand the whole vaseline on the lips thing :yuck:
    my_name wrote:

It's something I've been brought up using. Hate the stuff though.
    Yeah, anything lip orientated should help, nivea etc. Vaseline has never helped me in the past for any sort of dry skin. Good for stopping you getting hair dye on the tops of your ears though.
    Sofie wrote:
    Over the last week or so I've had dry lips and put some vaseline on them. Now, since Sunday I've had an area which has cracked and very sore when I try to open my mouth. I can only open it a few centimetres before it becomes painful and a few times it has made the area crack more.

Apart from vaseline (which has done nothing) is there anything I can put on my lips to stop them becoming really sore and making them worse than they already are?

drink a lot. Since dry lips often come from dehydration. once they are cracked you can't do much than apply fats (there are some lip moisturizer sticks), and wait for it to heal. shouldn't be more than a few days if you keep up refatting them.
    seriously. oranges. so much better than anything else for skin.
    honestly, i get sore dry cracked lips all the time and the only thing which works is blistex. can get it from sainsburys and boots, etc widely avaliable. Not been proven but i heard vaseline makes lips worse, not better
    Vasaline works wonders for me. Aquaphore too!

The Vit. C is a good idea, just make sure you don't get any tablet or orange juice in a deep crack! OUCH!
    there's some truth to vaseline making lips worse. What you wanna do if yu do use it is to put some lip moisturiser on, then put a thin layer of vaseline over the top. Also, you might be a lip licker without realising it. Try not to lick your lips.
    I never even knew people even used vasaline anymore,barf, except for british people cuz of this place, but I don't understand alot, like assfuel on toast in the morning... eugh. I didn't even know they still sold it. I couldn't imagine, expecially putting it on something so close to your mouth. *shudders*
    I use Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Lip Treatment balm. It's not cheap, but it seems to work (I have really dry lips all year round) it's about £14 a stick and looks like a lipstick, but is clear. I'd recommend it til the cows came home.
    It's not cheap, but it seems to work (I have really dry lips all year round)
    Ever thought it might not actually be working then?
    that made me larf
    my_name wrote:
    over here we have little pots of vaseline especially for lips. its not so thick and gloopy like normal vaseline. it has the same consistency as a normal lip gloss
    and a little pot of that doesnt look as dodgy on your bedside cabinet as a big pot of normal vaseline.
    No, because it improves the already crap condition of my lips....
    I've gone back to using the blue Nivea lipbalm I used to have at school. Worth a shot, it's about £1.69 in Tesco.
    ashlee wrote:
    honestly, i get sore dry cracked lips all the time and the only thing which works is blistex. can get it from sainsburys and boots, etc widely avaliable. Not been proven but i heard vaseline makes lips worse, not better

blistex is the best ! Get the one for chapped lips its brill!
    Vaseline is more a barrier layer than a moisturiser. It works well at protecting your lips from getting chapped, but if they are already chapped, it won't help (other that stopping them getting worse).

To re-moisturise, try something with a high shea butter content (or cocoa butter, but shea is more moisturising). The Body Shop do a shea butter lip butter (heh) that works well.
    I used this one when I last had chapped lips and it healed them really quickly
    Nivea_Lip_Care_SOS_Lip_Balm__6084433.jpg
    I read a consumer test on some lip balms though, and some seemed to do the equivalent of making lips addicted to them, ie they were ok condition whilst using, but were worse when you stopped using it than ever.
    nivea lip sos got good reviews though.