Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Watches

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
Looking for a nice watch. Nothing big and tacky - something small, simple and understated. However, it has to be durable. It is one that I plan on wearing all the time and will survive being in a classroom (ie waterproof, paint proof, child proof etc .... ) Will have up to £100 to spend on it so it's gotta be one that will last too. Would rather spend less but I don't want it to stop working 3 months after the guarantee runs out.

I am quite a fussy person when it comes to styles but am open to looking at anything. Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanking you :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you want a metal (gold/silver) or leather (colour?) strap?
    Well i would suggest you avoid a chain type strap then if you are possibly gonna get paint on it.
    As for what to get, i only go for my timex leather strap on which has lasted me years so far. But i don't think thats what you are looking for.
    go for a baby G watch, very durable and still pretty fashionable
    http://www.baby-g.de/euro/
    I just had a quick look on H Samuel's website. They have got a Buy One Get One Half Price offer on at the minute - you could get two worth about £60 each for under £100 and you've got two different looks! :)

If you want to look:- http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/browse/N/90+4294966571/feature/watchOffer/?cm_sp=autdiam06-_-ladiesofferpromo-_-all
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Do you want a metal (gold/silver) or leather (colour?) strap?

Whichever. I don't mind tbh as I like both styles. I'm open to all suggestions. My last leather strapped watch had the strap chewed off by my cats though :yeees:
    Tweety wrote:
    Well i would suggest you avoid a chain type strap then if you are possibly gonna get paint on it.

Good thinking batman :p More worried about the water thing though as most of the paint is water soluble so still not *too* worried about it. I think it depends if it is a complex strap design so that things can't get lodged into it. If that makes sense.
    "Tweety wrote:
    As for what to get, i only go for my timex leather strap on which has lasted me years so far. But i don't think thats what you are looking for.

Maybe. I don't know. Details, woman ;)
    Icey wrote:

Sorry, mate. Don't really like them. It's gotta have a face rather than digital (I meant to say that). Thanks for the rec though :)
    For the ultimate in child-proof-ness, it's gotta be a swatch. Those things repel everything.

However, though I'm not normally a designer type, I've gotta give a huge thumbs up to my Diesel watch. I've had it nearly 3 years now, subjected it to all means of things, and it still looks pretty much new. Water resistant, impervious to such nasties as fabric paint, acrylics and my clumsiness, and rather swish looking. Only needed one battery change so far too!

Mine is pretty boyish, but something like this one would be tres elegant and classic:

ladies-diesel-watch-dz2063-large.jpg
    kaffrin wrote:
    For the ultimate in child-proof-ness, it's gotta be a swatch. Those things repel everything.

However, though I'm not normally a designer type, I've gotta give a huge thumbs up to my Diesel watch. I've had it nearly 3 years now, subjected it to all means of things, and it still looks pretty much new. Water resistant, impervious to such nasties as fabric paint, acrylics and my clumsiness, and rather swish looking. Only needed one battery change so far too!

Mine is pretty boyish, but something like this one would be tres elegant and classic:

ladies-diesel-watch-dz2063-large.jpg
    That's very nice.
    icey wrote:
    they remind me of ones you get in a lucky bag as a kid!
    Maybe. I don't know. Details, woman ;)

Like this but i am pretty sure it's not wht you are after :).

I like the one Kaff posted.
    The other option is to look at the ones that come on fabric straps, like Kahuna ones (although I had problems with my Kahuna one but their are other brands). The benefit for these is that they are velcro, you slide the watch on and off the strap when you want to change it and you can stick the straps in the washing machine at which point they usually come out good as new.
    The other option is to look at the ones that come on fabric straps, like Kahuna ones (although I had problems with my Kahuna one but their are other brands).

Was going to suggest Kahuna or Fossil... nice watches, bit more practical. :)
    I had one for years, can't for the life of me remember which one it was, but it was something around the £30 from Argos and then I had a selection of straps for it, worked really well for me, and I think I give my watches more of a pounding than most others. Only ever take it off in the shower, and I swim, sail, kayak, climb, am a scout leader, camp, wash up, work as a dental nurse....
    I´ve got a Fossil one which is nice and an Armani one which is very nice but very expensive. Fossil ones are a little rock and roll but I like them.

Storm do nice lady watches.