Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Smacking

12346»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I worry about all this ADHD and severe depression in children these days stuff. My sister tried to kill herself when she was 15 as she said she was depressed (more of a cry for attention I think..) but it was still fucking brutal.

I worry for my son, and I wonder would it be better bringing him up in another country?
    It's not something which that authority sees as it's job, let alone the electorate. If we did, then we wouldn't be compaining about the possibility of that authority taking away the responsibility from the parents.

You appear to be changing the subject matter. :chin:

My initial question was to your hypothesis that smacked children don`t grow up to be violent. I speculated that they tend to agree to delegate that "violence" to others.

e.g. If you don`t want people smoking in your local, the likelihood is that you don`t go round there and threaten any smokers by yourself. Or even with a group of mates. In order to get your way, you get your "elected authority" to do that for you. Sanitised violence. No need to get YOUR hands dirty ( or bloodied).

(This example could be replaced by an infinite number of others).

You live in a fantasy world, don't you?

I think it`s the same world as you. Just viewed differently.

Not only is "informed decision" not possible subconsciously by it's very nature, but I think that you'll find that the people in question tend not to give a shit what the authorities do either.

I didn`t say it was.

Which "people in question" ? :confused:
    Well then I would smack them.

Jeez, do you want to go round in a circle again?

No thanks, going round in a circle may be seen ( by some) as detrimental to my well being. I may then be susceptible to a smack by someone who thinks they know what`s best for me.
    katralla wrote:
    I would be against it as an alternative option to smacking for my child. What about you seeker? What are your views on smacking and ritalin?

I don`t consider either as an acceptable option .
    Whenever this discussion arises, someone will normally claim the moral high-ground saying "oh, smacking is wrong, anyone who smacks is an evil child-beater who should be shot, blah, blah blah." Thankfully, that doesn't seem to have happened in this thread. Recently, I spoke to my mum about how she dealt with me and my sister and brother as children. She admits that she regularly smacked me, but smacked my brother and sister a lot less. She claims she'd learnt a lot more about parenting by the time they were born. (I was the first child)

I don't condemn my mum for this, I do remember occasions when I was a right little bastard at home. The occasional smack is fine in the long run, but it's not something that should be used regularly. Otherwise, we start getting into much darker territory.
    My mum smacked my sister (who is 3yrs older than me) only a few times, once being when she put her hands on the oven and wouldnt take them off or when i used to put my hands on the radiator and keep them there as long as i could as a dare of my sister. She never spanked, or even tapped on the bum. It was a tap on the hands. The law states it is legal to smack ur child as long as it is for a reasonable reason and it leaves no leaves no mark. These boundaries are misunderstood and not good enough. The only way to be able to condem a parent for smacking a child (too hard, in an abusive violent way) is to ban smacking altogether. Which i agree with, but then again who am i to say, im young and only deal with children where rules are set up e.g nursery babysitting. I do not have my own children, and until i do i cannot say i will do this and wont do this.