Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Covering Letters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am applying for various part time jobs and some of them will require covering letters. Can anyone please give me some advice as to how i should write one?

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It depends. If your covering letter is just covering an application form then I normally say something brief like:

Dear Sir / Madam

Please find enclosed my application for for yadeyadeyah position as advertised in yadeyadeyah place. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

However, if it is something that needs a proper letter then write a short summary of your skills and experience. Make sure you don't repeat what is in your CV / form though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It depends. If your covering letter is just covering an application form then I normally say something brief like:

Dear Sir / Madam

Please find enclosed my application for for yadeyadeyah position as advertised in yadeyadeyah place. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

However, if it is something that needs a proper letter then write a short summary of your skills and experience. Make sure you don't repeat what is in your CV / form though.

Its just something to include with my cv i beleive. Thanks.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    A covering letter should be sent with a CV to allow you to be specific about the job, generally if you've filled out an aplication form you don't need one.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If would use a covering letter to demonstrate how I meet thier person specification if they only want to see a CV - Whilst a CV gives a summary of your previous jobs and qualifications it doesnt' allow you to demonstrate your skills adequately.

So for example if the person specification said - Good Communication Skills - might say something in the letter like:

I have excellent communication skils both written and oral. I have worked for over 5 years in different organisations which have involved collaborating with different people on a global scale giving me the opportunity not only to improve my email and letter writing skills but also to meet many people of different cultures to work effectively with them. Additionally I have written articles for a wide range of audiences from interested members of the public to policy makers at government level, both for online and print media.

Obviously this is me and a part time job at uni probably isn't going to require this level of detail but if you dont' have that much experience for say a bar job or something you can alway pick up on other skills you have such as your radio experience and transfer them accross to the job you are appling for.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Wyetry wrote:
    If would use a covering letter to demonstrate how I meet thier person specification if they only want to see a CV - Whilst a CV gives a summary of your previous jobs and qualifications it doesnt' allow you to demonstrate your skills adequately.

:yes:

That's what I would have said if I wasn't so lazy. ;)
    Weekender Offender 
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Wyetry wrote:

So for example if the person specification said - Good Communication Skills - might say something in the letter like:

I have excellent communication skils both written and oral. I have worked for over 5 years in different organisations which have involved collaborating with different people on a global scale giving me the opportunity not only to improve my email and letter writing skills but also to meet many people of different cultures to work effectively with them. Additionally I have written articles for a wide range of audiences from interested members of the public to policy makers at government level, both for online and print media.

Obviously this is me and a part time job at uni probably isn't going to require this level of detail but if you dont' have that much experience for say a bar job or something you can alway pick up on other skills you have such as your radio experience and transfer them accross to the job you are appling for.

:yes: can't really say much more than that. You might also want to have a look at TheSite's pointers on covering letters.