Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Foreign languages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone else not think that it absurd that a foreign language is usually optional at GCSE? Although, I don’t even think a compulsory foreign language at GCSE goes far enough. I took a GCSE in French and despite ‘passing’ my French is very poor and I only started learning the language at 12. Given that Belgian and Swiss kids speak a couple of languages by the age of 12 we really need to start much earlier. Learning a language is a lot easier when you’re really young, when kids start learning English they should be learning at least one other European language...

I’m partly just bitter as I’m trying to learn German from scratch but I think the priorities with regard to languages are a bit messed up. For all the useless intrusions the EU has made surely the EU Parliament could make a useful infringement and stipulate that every child in state education learn another European language.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For once, I agree with you. The British and foreign languages are crap. It should be compulsory in school. Its one of my regrets that I never paid much attention in foreign languages at school.
    Yep it is a bit absurd, I think teaching language should come early in the education of kid, simply because the younger they are the more easy it is to learn and well knowing more than one language sure open the door to more opportunity... In France I had my first english lesson when I was round 7 years old and so did my brother and sister... and you must have at least one foreign language, it is not optional... I think for english countries, some of them think that the world should speak english so why would they bother speaking an other language...
    I think there should be more language options and more emphasis on having a foreign language by leaving school.
    Its not just foreign languages, History or geography can now be dumped before GCSE. Yet citizenship cant be.

Perhaps if we didnt spend virtually all the time in schools just getting the kids ready for another pointless exam we could actually teach them things.
    that's a bit unorthodox...
    budda wrote:
    Yet citizenship cant be.
    Oh I've heard of that one. The name sends shivers down my spine. Sounds like a GCSE in being brainwashed to me. Can someone enlighten me as to what it's about.
    I’m partly just bitter as I’m trying to learn German from scratch but I think the priorities with regard to languages are a bit messed up. For all the useless intrusions the EU has made surely the EU Parliament could make a useful infringement and stipulate that every child in state education learn another European language.
    This wouldn't be Dis supporting the EU overruling the British government and imposing a law on our country now would it?
    Oh I've heard of that one. The name sends shivers down my spine. Sounds like a GCSE in being brainwashed to me. Can someone enlighten me as to what it's about.

Its basically supposed to be about critical thinking and evaluation. Though how on earth you can teach citizenship without reference to history I dont know.

"What youngsters have to study is in three "strands":

Knowledge and understanding about becoming informed citizens - such as legal and human rights and responsibilities, the work of Parliament and courts and how the economy functions

Developing skills of enquiry and communication - for example, researching a topical issue and analysing sources of information

Developing skills of participation and responsible action - which includes using their imaginations to consider other people's experiences

Ofsted notes that the basic knowledge appears similar to the citizenship taught in many schools a century ago. - BBC"
    Wouldn't we just be better making the rest of the world speak English :D
    This wouldn't be Dis supporting the EU overruling the British government and imposing a law on our country now would it?
    :D

Yes, foreign languages should be compulsory. And the earlier they are taught, and the longer they are taught for, the better.
    NQA - That's got a funny side, but seriously, other languages are so beautiful sometimes. French is the best language in the world to talk to the person you love in, if you can get it right. Italian sounds so passionate, and German is so good for being serious... etc etc.
    We should learn Spanish really. We've already got a bad enough reputation in that country with all of our unofficial British colonies.
    Aladdin wrote:
    :D

Yes, foreign languages should be compulsory. And the earlier they are taught, and the longer they are taught for, the better.

Well even the European Court of Human Rights has proved useful through it reversing the backward ban on gays in the military so if the EU can occasionally do something useful why not? Most of what the EU does is pointless bureaucracy, if it forced British kids to learn another European language young that would be very good for Britain and good for the EU. And it's something our government seems incapable of doing. Meh. Maybe Cameron will do something.
    Well, certainly those who have made Spain their home should learn it.

By happy coincidence many of those people who moved to Spain and live in 'colonies' (complete with British-branded food supermarkets, lest anyone gets food poisoning from eating all that dago food) are the type who say they left Britain because they didn't like what it was becoming, what with multiculturalism and all those immigrants not even learning English about.

I've seen people who have been living there for years and they couldn't even be arsed to ask for their bus fare in Spanish.
    Aladdin wrote:
    By happy coincidence many of those people who moved to Spain and live in 'colonies' (complete with British-branded food supermarkets, lest anyone gets food poisoning from eating all that dago food) are the type who say they left Britain because they didn't like what it was becoming, what with multiculturalism and all those immigrants not even learning English about.
    :lol: Do they go round with their En-ger-land shirts on as well? Drinking Belgian lager?
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well, certainly those who have made Spain their home should learn it.

I've seen people who have been living there for years and they couldn't even be arsed to ask for their bus fare in Spanish.

I have fantasies about moving to Spain. I love Catalunya and Barcelona especially. I need to learn Spanish though (or Catalan!). I'm planning to do a course in January.
    There are reasons for taking foreign languages off the compulsory list, but unfortunately this action seems to have been taken by schools as a good reason to massively reduce their teaching facilities for languages.

When they were compulsory it meant that everyone had to take a language, which was ridiculous in the case of those less academically talented student who had enough problems with English. I appreciate this is a tiny part of the majority but it was a good thing for them that foreign languages stopped being compulsory.

HOWEVER, for the vast majority it is perfectly achieveable to learn a foriegn language and the schools should take it upon themselves to make them compulsory for most people.

Our local comprehensive insists students take a technology subject, but leaves languages as optional. :banghead:
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have fantasies about moving to Spain. I love Catalunya and Barcelona especially. I need to learn Spanish though (or Catalan!). I'm planning to do a course in January.
    If your ultimate goal is to get a job in teaching, social services or any local government or department job, you will definitely need Catalan. For other jobs Spanish only would do the trick.

You could always study Catalan and learn Spanish 'on the street' at the same time.
    I'm a big fan of being able to pick the subjects you like (apart from maths combined english and double science award) but I really do think that a broad base should be heavily encouraged, and especially foreign languages (along with a humanities subject, an art and a technology subject)
    Blagsta wrote:

Spanish is pretty easy. Catalan not so, totally different dialect.

I think the fact that we can go to European countries and speak English pretty easily means we don't have an incentive to learn other languages whereas Europeans do.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I'd love to learn Russian.

I wish I knew how to speak another language. I have considered going back to college for it.
    Weekender Offender 
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I think there should be more language options and more emphasis on having a foreign language by leaving school.

:yes:

I didn't take a foreign language at GCSE, but then again if I tokk Spanish I would've had to of taken French.:rolleyes:
    I don't think you should HAVE to take french, if you want to learn spanish or italian or german or whatever.

My secondary school was a language college, and you could learn almost every european language and mandarin by the time I left (within two years of the award) and I imagine that they've added russian and japanese by now.

Though, I always liked french
    budda wrote:
    Its not just foreign languages, History or geography can now be dumped before GCSE. Yet citizenship cant be.

Perhaps if we didnt spend virtually all the time in schools just getting the kids ready for another pointless exam we could actually teach them things.

We didn't have the option of doing Citizenship at GCSE - we studied it in year 9 and that was it.

Fiend - apparantely the reason for us having to take French if we wanted to do Spanish because it meant in the past that we'd do better or some random crap like that - despite the fact that I always struggled with French and when studying both languages, got words mixed up.
    I think french or german should be compulsory from an early age.... I feel pretty bad that so many people from all over europe can speak english but I can't talk back to any of them in their own language (well not much anyway). Learnt french for 5 years and German for two, what I know of it now is very vague..

If it's left as an option kids will just avoid it as it seems a bit useless at that age... I bet in a few years they'd be really glad to know another language though.
    Sofie - I got french and german confused. Some people just can't learn more than one at a time. Though i have a friend who can speak 3 languages fluently and a fourth (prob 5 by now) well enough. Some people are built that way. Some people aren't.

Muse - I'm not convinced that kids just won't do it, get them early enough and languages just seem normal, or even fun. You may be right if they started at secondary level, but I think languages should be part of primary education, it's easier when you're young.
    I think teaching language should come early in the education of kid, simply because the younger they are the more easy it is to learn and well knowing more than one language sure open the door to more opportunity... ...
    Yes, but not necessarelly. I used to learn 2 foreign languages in school( in between 10 and 18 years old) and then I learnt english in my late 20's in less than a year.The 'comunication' factor helped me a lot in fact I never have had chance to practice the other two laungueges I used to learn in school, but I HAD to speak English all day everyday since then. And not to forget, I've always liked English the most, so that's why it doesn't took too long.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I think Spanish would be generally more useful to Brits than either French or German.
    Weekender Offender 
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its one of my regrets that I never paid much attention in foreign languages at school.

Same here, I scrapped a grade C at GCSE French. My dad remarried to a french lady (the lovely Nanette) a couple of years ago and whilst in France with my dad and Nanettte over the summer it was so frustrating not being able to communicate! "I live in a house with a big garden" only gets you so far.

Were such a lazy nation when it comes to languages.
    French is probably one of the easier ones to learn though, since a lot of our language is made up of French. Especially if it's done from an early age.